When will the AT&T update come for the HTC One M8 for Marshmallow?

A

AC Question

when wii att update htc one m8 to marshmallow

been waiting a long time

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: When will the AT&T update come for the HTC One M8 for Marshmallow?

At this point, I would not be surprised at all to see them offer a free Marshmallow update for your HTC One M8 with the purchase of a brand new HTC 10.

I have grown so tired of waiting for this "coming real soon now!" update.

McDoogie

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Re: when wii att update htc one m8 to marshmallow

That's hilarious. It probably won't even be out by the time the HTC 10 comes out.

Posted via the Android Central App

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I've been wondering the same thing. We've had quite a few false starts in terms of ETAs, and now Mo Versi (for HTC) has grown awfully silent on Twitter. There have been notable issues with Marshmallow on this phone with the other carriers, so I do understand if AT&T is working through those. I've been with AT&T for many years, and to their credit their software upgrades have always been free of glitches. That said, by the time we get the software I'll be ready to get a new device.

Related note: hoping the M10 is an amazing step forward so I don't have to succumb and get the S7 Edge.

MatthewGavin

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site

I think in one of the other Marshmallow att threads somebody posted a tweet from Mo and it talked how we can expect the release of Marshmallow around the end of April

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

OK, an update just hit my M8. I hope it is the precursor to the fabled Marshmallow upgrade.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site

Yeah I see the little "Device management is running" on my M8.. this generally means an update is imminent!

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

I saw that as well and am certainly hopeful, but I'll believe it when I see it. It's never my style to be skeptical or cynical, but there have been multiple update time frames prior to this that weren't met. Fingers crossed :)

dyphx

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

Mo Versi replied to someone on Twitter about a similar update for the M9. He said "it's the update required prior to the Marshmallow OS. We're entering the lab with M update next." I'm guessing the same is true for the M8.

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

No idea if this means anything, but when I checked for additional updates the timer said to check back in just under 6 hours, not the usual 24. It's the first time I've seen it do that.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Mine did the same (though it was 7-ish hours this morning). My first thought was the incremental update pushed to the phone simply didn't reset whatever internal setting controls the "Check for Updates" process. Hopefully you're right, though, and in a few hours we'll all get a much-needed REAL update!

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Unless they're toying with our emotions again... :p

Well if Mo Versi mentioned an update would come by the end of April, it WOULD be a little strange for it to arrive 3 weeks beforehand. I guess we'll see!

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

Just as I expected: "Current software is up to date. You may check back in 23 hours 58 minutes."

End of April, here we come.

ajacobs79

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site

Just as I expected: "Current software is up to date. You may check back in 23 hours 58 minutes."

End of April, here we come.

Same here :( I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but I wonder if this is all intentional with the M10 reveal on April 12th. Is AT&T delaying the Marshmallow release so their customers all get the newest device? I'm sure there ARE bugs, but how come the other carriers beat AT&T to the punch by multiple weeks? Shouldn't AT&T just release a 99.8% perfect version and then push some patches out later on? My knowledge of smartphone programming is admittedly near zero, but it can't be this hard.

Warrenisit

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: when wii att update htc one m8 to marshmallow

I hate when my phone automatically updates even when that **** is shut off. This is the last carrier phone I'll ever get. Received an update with no clue what it was and no link explaining anything. Thanks AT&T.

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site

I got an update yesterday as well, and got all excited as the apps were updating. Then I checked the software version afterwards and was disappointed to see it still at 5.0.2. It did change something though, as the phone feels like it's been turbocharged.

dyphx

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

Update summary
Effective April 7, 2016, AT&T released a software update for the HTC One (M8) (0P6B120). The update is available to customers to download via Firmware Over The Air (FOTA). A Wi-Fi connection is required.

What's changing?
New FOTA enhancement – support for 1GB+ file size (OMA DI Client Update).

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ml%23%21%2Fwireless%2FKB424491&token=G8yImt02

So, this update will permit the larger Marshmallow update to occur, some day. Maybe.

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site

I did the update. It seems the phone is a little faster. Not sure what it exactly did, but it did something good for my phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy