Phone insurance cannot replace my M8... What options are better?

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Phone got damaged and the sensor hub stopped working (no screen rotation, no proximity sensor, no brightness sensor, etc.).
Phone is insured, but at first they offered an LG (G2?). I got on the chat with the company and told them the LG was unacceptable, and they offered me the M9 instead. Now I'm trying to decide if I should take the M9 temporarily until I get the HTC 10, or if I should refuse it and shop for another M8. The decision is complicated by my original plans of passing the M8 down to my son, who I feel would not be as happy with the M9.

What do you guys/gals think: Accept the M9 and deal with it, or refuse it and buy a refurb M8?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The M9 isn't as good as the M8, so I agree. Swappa is probably your best bet on both the selling and buying end. (NEVER buy a phone on Craig's List. The "Craig's List Scam" is to sell you a defective phone, then report it stolen the next day. They have your money, you have a useless phone.)

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
The M9 isn't as good as the M8, so I agree. Swappa is probably your best bet on both the selling and buying end. (NEVER buy a phone on Craig's List. The "Craig's List Scam" is to sell you a defective phone, then report it stolen the next day. They have your money, you have a useless phone.)

Thanks for the heads-up!

Posted via the Android Central App

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
It's sad that selling things on Craigslist has gotten to the point where it is now just automatically assumed that every phone sold there is a scam. Personally I have bought and sold several phones through Craigslist and I have never had an issue. Bit I digress, and I have to agree that for piece of mind Swappa probably is your best bet.

Also I have no idea which carrier you are with but right now T-Mobile is selling certified pre-owned M8s for just over $100.

HTC One M8 Certified Pre-Owned | Used HTC One M8 | T-Mobile

Edit: Sorry I just noticed that it says they are currently out of stock. I guess keep an eye on that link, maybe they will have more soon.

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the link, Slow_S10. I'm on AT&T, so that would not work, but I appreciate you looking out for me.
The price of an M8 on Swappa is a little over $200 (mint), and the M9 just arrived. However, there's a condition on Swappa that there can't be any outstanding balance with the carrier. For me, that's $30 to close it out if I give them back the phone, which I can't because I have to send it to the insurance company. The other option is pay it off outright to keep the phone, which is about $200. This would be the legitimate way to do it, but the value of the M9 would still leave me in the hole. I'm considering just keeping the M9 and buying another M8 outright, orrrrrr keeping the M9 and ordering the HTC 10. As for my son; well both the M8 and M9 are better than his current iPhone 5C.
And although it's a long shot, I'm going to take the unopened M9 up to the AT&T store and see if they have a forgotten M8 in the back. I know a friend there, and she just might do it if they have one. At this point, I don't care what color.

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Oh, but the way, the M8 on Swappa I have my eye on is unlocked: "Selling my mint AT&T HTC M8 in beautiful white color - brand new condition, only a week old. Has been converted to Developer Edition, which means it has S-OFF and SuperCID unlocked"

This will make Android Pay a no-go. How difficult is it to un-root?

Joe Goodwin1

Jun 28, 2014
Visit site
Not difficult, I don't believe. I personally don't like a phone that's ever been rooted.

Sell on CL if you can. There's no return policy ;) feel me. And that's not to say you are fraudulent

Buy on swappa or eBay for sure. Refresh the at&t m8s newly listed listings on eBay every hour or so to get a listing from someone who lists low. That's my MO

Posted via the Android Central App

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Today I took an alternate approach: I boxed up the M9 with both set of headphones, and with the insurance company's permission, I sent it all back.
Then I got out a hairdryer and tools, and with a dose of prayer, disassembled the M8 and fixed it. Win/win.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone... it really helped me sit back and look at the options :)

File_000.jpg