Anyone else having Google Play eat their battery?

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I followed all the net instructions on saving battery, on turning off unwanted app use, etc. Google Play has 11 processes running, and I have no idea what they do. I reboot, I turn off sync, I follow the direction, but why suddenly (in the last month or two) is Google play eating my battery? I have installed no new apps, my AT&T HTC M8 is as updated as AT&T allows (5.0.2 software) etc. My phone used to last me two days on a charge (I don't use it a lot), but lately I get a day, max. Google Play and Android system use almost 50% of the battery. I can't turn Carrier IQ off for long, it always comes back, sort of like the clap. HELP!!!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about Google Play Services, or specific Google Play apps (like the Play Store, Play Books, etc.)?

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
No it says Google Play Services 1 process and 11 services. I have no idea what these things do, and I have followed the instructions I have found on the internet to try and stop the battery drain. I am at a loss at this point. I am not going to factory reset my phone unless I absolutely have to do so.

Shyuan

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
No it says Google Play Services 1 process and 11 services. I have no idea what these things do, and I have followed the instructions I have found on the internet to try and stop the battery drain. I am at a loss at this point. I am not going to factory reset my phone unless I absolutely have to do so.
I used to have similar issues, where Google Play Services drains my battery, I then followed someone's advice to go to Settings > Applications > look for Google Play Services > Manage Storage > Clear All Data. It worked flawlessly for me and didn't affect anything else. Battery stopped draining. You may want to try at your own risks as I do not know what side effect it might cause to your phone. Good luck. :)

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
THANK YOU!!! I tried it and got my battery life back. I really appreciate it.

I used to have similar issues, where Google Play Services drains my battery, I then followed someone's advice to go to Settings > Applications > look for Google Play Services > Manage Storage > Clear All Data. It worked flawlessly for me and didn't affect anything else. Battery stopped draining. You may want to try at your own risks as I do not know what side effect it might cause to your phone. Good luck. :)

llong314

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What is actually being cleared by clearing all the data? I've got over 163mb of data that I would love to clear out... but not sure what kind of effect it will have on my phone.

Any ideas...?

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
No idea what was cleared, but whatever it was it really worked. Unfortunately, immediately after that I got my M10 and switched so I can't give you any long term reports.

What is actually being cleared by clearing all the data? I've got over 163mb of data that I would love to clear out... but not sure what kind of effect it will have on my phone.

Any ideas...?

Bill Ob

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I followed along and hit the manage space button. It then gives some explanations. The data manages search. It accelerates the google search engine. There is data there that search can use instead of looking the information up on-line. I'm not a pro, but this seems useful and is something that you would like to keep there. If I'm not right here then correct me. I'll appreciate more accurate information.

Posted via the Android Central App