HTC M8 - After hard reset constant com.android.phone failure

A

AC Question

After fighting with Spotify using more and internal memory (even after un-installing the app) my internal memory was full and every app crashed. At one point the phone did a complete reset and I lost most but not all data.

Seeing as I didn't have much stored on the phone and because I couldn't actually clear the internal storage (the 16 gig just kept getting listed as a lower and lower total even when attached to a PC and looking via Windows Explorer) I attempted a factory reset.

For some reason during the reset it still optimised about 150 apps. When it finally got to the set-up screen there was a constant 'com.android.phone stopped' alert. As soon as I click it, it appears again. I can't actually proceed.

I attempted additional factory resets and same result. It seems like something is still in there trying to start but the files are missing.

I can connect and explore via USB/PC if that's of any use.

And needless to say I'm not concerned about anything on the phone.

In terms of set up:
Software status: Official
M8_UL PVT Ship S-ON
HBOOT-3.19.0.0000
Radio-1.29.214500021.12G
OpenDSP-v51.2.2-00593-M8974_FO.1015
OS-6.12.401.4
emmc-boot 2048MB
Dec 17 2015,14:15:48.0

(Not that I know what 90% of that means)

Anyone have a similar issue? Any ideas?

Thanks

OliverN5

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Update - I'm the original poster but have actually created an account - should have done that first!

If it's a factor, I've also removed the sim card and micro SD memory with no affect.

OliverN5

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Yes. I tired a factory reset when I was originally able to somewhat use the phone, and it then cycled through the 'optimising of apps' which didn't seem right and then loaded the factory start up screen only to have the com.android.phone error constantly appear.

I then did a factory reset using the hardware keys and that just ended in the same result. I've tried it a few more times and it always results in the same 'optimising apps X of 160' then loading the factory start screen to immediately and constantly have the com.android.phone error.

OliverN5

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Tried wipe cache before. Just tried it again now. It take 1/3 of a second to 'wipe' so I don't believe it's doing anything... or there's nothing to wipe. Same result in the end. Reboot and immediately faced with 'com.android.phone has stopped'.

OliverN5

May 3, 2016
Visit site
Any idea where I could find ROMs for Vodafone UK? The US HTC support site looks clear and helpful and I can't find anything that clear for the UK. In fact I can't find anything that looks remotely correct.