M8 to the HTC 10

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi All,

I was surprised not to find this discussion title...

I think I have finally found a phone worth moving to... the HTC 10... anyone else considering this or can anyone comment on whether they have made this move and what their thoughts are?

I am a Verizon subscriber.

Thanks,
R

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi!

Android Central did post an article about whether or not one "should" upgrade from the M9 to the 10 - it was a very interesting read. Though I have never had an HTC-series phone before, I have always been interested in getting one; and to be honest, the camera quality (though never a dealbreaker for me, but still somewhat of a point to consider when upgrading) had always made me hope for an HTC device that would be good for screen size and camera, etc. However, the 10 seems to take *amazing* photos, and this article I mentioned from AC showed pictures from the M9 and the 10... And the results were awesome. Plus, the display on the HTC 10 (though still not "as good" as the Samsung devices) was still very good; and the software seems to be more Google-oriented than the last Sense was.

That's kind of a paraphrase of the article, but you should give it a read if you are considering jumping to the HTC 10. I think it would be a worthwile jump - I'm considering the 10 myself for when I upgrade. Good luck!

McDoogie

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I went from the m8 to the 10, it's a great upgrade. To be honest the speakers on the m8 sound louder. But headphones on the 10 are amazing!! This phone is extremely fast, feels very premium, and takes great photos. The only problem I have with it is I can't rearrange my quick settings. And google photos/ music is **** compared to HTC gallery/music.

Posted via the Android Central App

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

That's kind of a paraphrase of the article, but you should give it a read if you are considering jumping to the HTC 10. I think it would be a worthwile jump - I'm considering the 10 myself for when I upgrade. Good luck!

Thanks...I did indeed read that article... I figured if they were suggesting M9 to 10 was a good move, the M8 certainly would be. I was looking for some real people who had made the move. :)

I love the M8... I passed on a lot of phones over the 2 years that I have had it... but there was always something missing from each phone that I looked at.

Anyway, I ordered the 10 and it should be here tomorrow... I will report in for other M8 owners.

Cheers,
R

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I went from the m8 to the 10, it's a great upgrade. To be honest the speakers on the m8 sound louder. But headphones on the 10 are amazing!! This phone is extremely fast, feels very premium, and takes great photos. The only problem I have with it is I can't rearrange my quick settings. And google photos/ music is **** compared to HTC gallery/music.

I never really used the external speakers much, except for phone conferences. I hope they are good enough for that!

For music I always used a bluetooth external speaker.

Thanks for the reply!
R

Stykthyn

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
The m8 is an amazing phone. Honestly If my battery hadn't taken a nose dive I'd still be using it. The 10 is a worthy successor though. Feels like a premium HTC device. Physical size is very similar while button placement is more ergonomic. I never used blinkfeed or the other sense apps much, but I do miss the gallery. My only real complaint is the screen. The m8 screen is much brighter and I feel gives truer whites.

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I did the upgrade and it is a bit of culture shock from Sense 6 to sense 8. I like the phone though, and Android 6 is great. If AT&T had pushed out the 6 update faster, and has less crapware on the 8 I would probably have kept it as my daily driver.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
After being screwed over twice and forced to early upgrade in part because of lack of removable battery in the M8, they'll have to create something truly amazing compared to the other guys for me to come back. I do miss the stereo speakers, but not being able to swap batteries is an unacceptable failure point for me. If they come up with something like the LG G5 (metal body, but removable battery), then I'll look at them again.

Stykthyn

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
After using the 10 for a couple of days it's a practically seamless transition. There are a few things to get used to, but it feels better in the hand, battery life is better, speed is noticeably faster, but that the m8 is a slouch. If you have an upgrade available it's worth it. If not yet and hold out until winter when I'm sure prices will be coming down.

Hardcase19

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Finally made it to the Verizon store today to check out the 10. Very nice phone. I currently have the M8 through Verizon. Was thinking about buying an unlocked 10 directly from HTC. When the Verizon rep looked into my account he said they could offer me the 10 at a $200 discount if I go with monthly payments ($18 a month). So now I am trying to decide do I go with the Verizon and get the discount or pay full price and get an unlocked. Wanted an unlocked so that I could get updates quicker and no bloatware but $200 off sound nice also.
Any opinions on this?
thanks

Stykthyn

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Finally made it to the Verizon store today to check out the 10. Very nice phone. I currently have the M8 through Verizon. Was thinking about buying an unlocked 10 directly from HTC. When the Verizon rep looked into my account he said they could offer me the 10 at a $200 discount if I go with monthly payments ($18 a month). So now I am trying to decide do I go with the Verizon and get the discount or pay full price and get an unlocked. Wanted an unlocked so that I could get updates quicker and no bloatware but $200 off sound nice also.
Any opinions on this?
thanks

If you have the cash to buy an unlocked vzw phone from HTC I would go that route. Does the 18 dollar price mean turning in your m8? I was offered 200 on mine through a visa Gift Card.

Hardcase19

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I would not be turning in my M8. It is paid and I own the phone. They wanted to offer me $58 for trade in.
Not sure I will stay with HTC now. Been having issues with my M8 since updating to MM. Battery dies aroun 25% and reverts settings back to stock, pretty frustrated with it at this point.

RobDogOne

Banned
Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded from the One M8 to the 10 last Friday and I couldn't be happier! The M10 is a beast! It's definitely a worthy successor to the One M8. You won't be dissapointed. I'm typing this message from my M8, which is over 2 years old and still running strong!

dty06

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I loved my M8 and had it for 2 years. I took it with me for 6 months spent in the jungle and on weekend camping trips. It always worked perfectly for me.

That said, it was time to move on, and I moved away from HTC. The M9 was a major disappointment, and Google's Nexus line was finally actually usable as a regular personal phone, so I picked up a Nexus 6P.

Still, the HTC 10 looks like a wonderful phone. I don't use speakers much, but having the stereo speakers does make a difference in the times when I use it, and the 6P has that feature (the sound quality is *at least* on par with the M8). If you're happy with the HTC software and what the HTC 10 brings, go for it! Unlocked would be my preference - updates right from the manufacturer are a wonderful thing, and there's no bloatware to deal with. I rooted my M8 to remove the crapware VZW put on the phone, but I don't feel like I need to root my 6P at all. I'm sure the HTC 10 will be similar.

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

Watch the Market Place here and check Swappa every so often. Basically new phones pop up from time to time. I shutter to think of Verizon having a hold on me other than the monthly bill. A lot to say for month to month billing. Suppose something bigger and better comes and you stuck having to pay off Verizon.

I only have phones that are unlocked and on month to month service.

Any opinions on this?
thanks

Stykthyn

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I would not be turning in my M8. It is paid and I own the phone. They wanted to offer me $58 for trade in.
Not sure I will stay with HTC now. Been having issues with my M8 since updating to MM. Battery dies aroun 25% and reverts settings back to stock, pretty frustrated with it at this point.

That is exactly what I was running into. Sign of a battery on its way out. Was dumping data caches when it would quit and basically boot up to a cleaner version of mm. Frustrating to say the least. I've put in hands on time with all the new flagships. The 10 is easily the best "all around" phone of the bunch.

Rhyalus

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I did transition from the M8 to the HTC 10. I am very happy with the move. Two years with a phone is pretty good for me! :)

This being said, the increase in speed is really not obvious to me. The things I DO think are an improvement are;

Fingerprint sensor - super quick and useful
Camera - just better - and no failed coating (yet?)
Headphones audio
Quick charge (wow!)

R

anon(604250)

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm loving the 10, every last little thing about it. I'll admit that during the process of resetting my M8 for my wife's use, I have a new appreciation for the old girl (the phone, not my wife). It can still hold its own on many levels with the newer models. It's nice to cascade a piece of tech and (for a change) be confident it will work as anticipated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15