Major bug/crash/reset issues on Marshmallow

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issues - it is getting really frustrating now.

Phone resets/shuts down when battery reaches 10%, sometimes below 20%. After this, all app permissions are reset to default and all Google settings (e.g. Ok Google voice settings) are reset to default. I have switched off Power Saver, which reduced the number of resets I've experienced but did not fix the issue.

After some reboots, I get the "optimizing apps" message. Thereafter all my contacts are deleted (have to delete and add back my Google account to get them to sync again). In addition, all Google app and HTC app updates are deleted and I have to update again from the Play Store. Call history and all other app data is deleted (have to log into all apps again). However, my internal storage is still full so the actual data is still on the phone somewhere. This is in effect like a factory reset, only my data is still on the phone but inaccessible to my apps. This has happened to me twice now - seemingly at random times. Interestingly, both times I've been away from home - maybe Google location services/GPS or something is causing the crash?

This is really irritating. I have not had this much trouble with a phone since the days of Eclair on a SonyEricsson (which says a lot). My HTC OneX (previous phone) was still working perfectly after two years. Before Marshmallow the M8 was running perfectly as well. Wish I never upgraded.

I was going to buy an HTC 10, but I lost all patience with HTC. If they did this to try and get me to update to another phone, it's not working. I will update - to anything other than HTC. HTC can really not afford to **** off the few loyal supporters they currently still have.
Anybody having this issue even with a brand new or replaced battery? Just wondering if maybe sense software has a bug where starts to fail to accurately record the battery statistics of old batteries. But if someone can confirm this issue still happening with new batteries too then that can at least cancel that possibility out.

Hardcase19

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Just curious what provider people are using. I have had these issues since the MM update and am on Verizon. I wonder if it is something that they did to the software that caused the issue?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Just curious what provider people are using. I have had these issues since the MM update and am on Verizon. I wonder if it is something that they did to the software that caused the issue?
I'm on Rogers in Canada...Ive seen reports from others in UK with same issue.

Sven Bering

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
Did this have an effect?

Mine closes down around 60% with all the above symptoms.

Factory resets helps seems to reduce the problem for a period besides cleaning up the log files.

But the problem is returning after a few weeks for me.

Well.
Will try to remove it anyways. Getting pretty desperate only being able to have the phone out of the down a few hours at the time.

Darkpatch

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
On an HTC M9 - Verizon.
Experienced this after a dead battery last night.

-- System booted up - First thing I noticed was Sense was crashing repeatedly and all HTC apps needed to be updated.
My wireless and Bluetooth settings were still correct.

Affter further investigation, found that all apps lost their settings. In addition, my phone was no longer prompting for a decryption password on boot up.
I was able to remove and re-enable the lock screen option to resolve.

After finding a few posts, it sounds like the issue may be related to the Exterme Power Saving Mode. I don't remember having it enabled but maybe it still enables when the phone is low on power. There is a similar issue reported with the Samsung Note doing the same thing in power saving mode. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...9-marshmallow-power-saving-broke-my-apps.html

mzman

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I have had the loss of permissions problem after restart for a while. It has persisted across multiple hard resets, and even multiple devices! I am working on a theory. For anyone here who has had this issue, did you encrypt your device? I'm trying to find a common thread, as clearly every device hasn't had this issue, but many have. Any input is appreciated.

sven23

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
I have had the loss of permissions problem after restart for a while. It has persisted across multiple hard resets, and even multiple devices! I am working on a theory. For anyone here who has had this issue, did you encrypt your device? I'm trying to find a common thread, as clearly every device hasn't had this issue, but many have. Any input is appreciated.
Hi, so far the only problem I have is the apps permissions restarting. First time it happened was in late june, I was on vacations in the U.S. and after turning on my phone, had been in airplane mode since my departure from Argentina, apps permissions got messed up. I thought it had something to do with the new region or something (I did connect to the internet via WiFi). Same thing happened when I arrived back to Argentina so that helped my theory. Then for a couple of months it stopped happening until a couple of weeks ago when it happened again and so the "changing regions" theory died. I began to think it was because of some app I had installed recently but as the app permissions messing up became more and more frequent I had to discard that theory as well and now that I finally google the problem I find that I'm not the only one. Still would like to try to figure out what triggers the bug to avoid doing it. It's becoming annoying having to grant permissions to every app every few days now.

My main memory is not encrypted but I have a 64GB external SD encrypted. I installed it and encrypted it in september 2015 so I guess I was running android 5 back then. Have the phone since september 2014.

I guess you can always root your device and install an independent Android skin but those are not design to run on your specific phone and you might end up with a bad performance in some places or lack of features so us smart phone users are completely stuck. It's so unfair.

It's a great piece of hardware that would probably run Android 7 just fine. This thing with the 2 years of updates has to stop. Hardware should get updates for as long as it can. Stupid monetary system.

Anyone has a link to complain with HTC?

davidsco27

Dec 13, 2016
Visit site
Same problem with the permissions on a Moto G4. w/Marshmallow. Apparently their security is as effective as TSA. Annoyance to regular users, but terrorists and viruses get a free pass. Trypical Google, where EVERYTHING is a perpetual beta. Anyone ever come up with a solution? Or just wait for Nougat and pray

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781