01-28-2018 03:35 AM
36 12
tools
    Hello, my name is Mikey.

PREFACE:

Awhile ago, I started having difficulties with my phone, like all the data being deleted from my apps or my phone screen flickering. Those all stopped for awhile, but it seems whenever my phone shuts down from losing battery life and starts up again, it starts up with a new problem. It happened today, and this problem has been the most heinous.

THE PROBLEM:

I plugged in and charged my phone after it died, and when it started up, it started "Initializing applications" or whatever, (it has done this prior to an issue occurring before.)

When my phone started up, I had my lock screen displayed. I swiped up to reach my home screen, but instead got the message: "Unfortunately, Sense Home has stopped." As soon as I hit "OK", the message reappeared. I could do nothing. Soon after that, I got a plethora of other notifications with the text "Unfortunately, ___________ has stopped."

I received a text message in the pull-down from my girlfriend and was able to open the Messages application, but was still bombarded with a different process failure notification every few seconds, (if not back-to-back notifications.) Other than accessing that application as such, I cannot access any other applications. I cannot access other applications. I cannot even go to my home screen. I can't do anything except access the Messages application after getting a Text Message. I can't even make phone calls.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS:

-I've tried rebooting my HTC One M8.
    -I've tried loading up into Safe Mode.
    -I've tried going into the special menu (when the phone is off) and clearing the cache.
    -I've tried clearing the Cache and THEN starting the phone is Safe Mode...

I've also researched online with my laptop trying to find the solution. Many have had similar problems with different variations, many have solved their problems. But I have not.

ALL of this to no avail. Nothing has changed, I still cannot use my phone!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would very much appreciate help with this. It's driving me crazy!

Thank you,

Mikey.
    1LeeoneC likes this.
    06-17-2016 10:37 PM
    Factory reset?
    06-17-2016 11:19 PM
    I've considered that -- that's going to remove everything from it, right?

Also, I believe I saw, (and I'm not positive), but I thought I saw somebody say the factory reset didn't help.
    However, I could have easily misunderstood it. Would it work, do you think?
    06-18-2016 12:24 AM
    I have the exact same problem with my HTC 1M8. The error messages flash up every 0.5 seconds so I have to stab the screen like a demented gamer just to try to get anything done. I'm not in any way familiar with Android workings, so forgive my ignorance.

How long does it / can it take to boot into Safe Mode? I tried holding the volume down button and nothing happened, it seemed frozen. Maybe 3-4 minutes wasn't long enough?

I've backed everything up to Google Drive, so perhaps a full reset might help but obviously this is a daunting prospect.

Is there a program I can use on my laptop to access the phone as the HTC synch manager is garbage?

In my case I'm not aware of any major new update or app that has suddenly caused this.

Harry
    1LeeoneC likes this.
    06-21-2016 02:42 AM
    Quick update - finally got into safe mode but the error messages are still flashing up.

Android version 6.0
    06-21-2016 02:55 AM
    Same thing happening here. M8 on Sprint. Just a few days ago, apps randomly started crashing. When I reset, it gets stuck on the HTC One logo. Doesn't boot up any further than that. I had to press the power button + volume up to reset from that point. I've cleared the cache from the restore menu, performed a factory reset at least 3 times, and still had a hard time booting all the way up. I noticed that during the boot up screen, if there is "sound" during the Sprint logo, it'll boot up all the way. If there is no sound, it'll stop at the HTC One logo.

I've read on other forums that the Android System Web View app is what's caused these same types of errors in 2015. I noticed mine was just updated on June 3rd. The 2015 suggestion was to uninstall this app (uninstall latest update), and uncheck the auto-update option. The problem is that this has update security features that leaves your phone vunerable, however it might fix the current problem as it did in 2015. I'm not totally sure yet....I'll have to keep playing with it and see if anything crashes again.

Using Android 6
    06-22-2016 09:25 AM
    This just started happening to me.

#@&^#$^!!

I now own a brick. Nothing works. I'm going to try a factory reset again. I can't make phone calls, see my home screen, or anything.

What happened? ---
    The phone ran out of power while on and I had to charge it up to restart. I tried to start it and while restarting the first time it lost power again. The second time it must have reset all my preferences and it went through the "optimizing applications" thing for a while before starting. After that --- i could no longer do anything, not even get to the home screen. Unfortunately, EVERYTHING has stopped. OK?

I'm going to try the factory reset again, and uninstall various apps. But as nobody else has solved this I'm not too hopeful.
    06-26-2016 02:26 AM
    Status: Factory reset in progress, no breaking apps so far. I have completed the application optimization, and basic setup. It is re-installing all my apps and doing updates. It may just work. I lost some of my most recent text messages and pictures. I may be ok, but it is going to take a while to finish this.
    06-26-2016 03:42 AM
    This is my 7th Factory reset for this exact problem this year. I still havent identified the app. Disabling exchange services, Google sense and Google + have all worked on different occasions. It seeks to me that the thing I tried before never works the next time.

Today I started in safe mode and still the loop of messages come through which is new this time. I have try to make sure my battery never runs down. But that's such a PITA!

I make sure my phone can't auto update, but if the battery fails, it takes on a life of its own, optimizes the apps and boom. Back to square (im gunna launch this thing across the room) one!

So this post is probably of no help to anyone, but know that I feel your pain and I hope Google sorts this out pronto!
    1LeeoneC likes this.
    06-27-2016 01:06 AM
    I had the same issue the other day, was something to do with Google Play Sevices... Try this if you can...

Go to Settings > Apps.
    Scroll to All apps and then scroll down to “Google Play Services” app.
    Open the app details and tap on the “Force stop” button.
    Then, tap on the “Clear cache” button.

or

Go to Settings > Apps.
    Scroll to All apps and then scroll down to “Google Services Framework” app.

Frustrating is an understatement.......
    1LeeoneC likes this.
    07-01-2016 07:19 AM
    I had the same issue the other day, was something to do with Google Play Sevices... Try this if you can...

Go to Settings > Apps.

or

Go to Settings > Apps.

Hi there, HTC One M8 owner here with the same problem as well. This happened to me today!

The phone died on me and when I started it up again it went through the usual startup screens and initialized apps.

However, when I unlocked the screen Sense Home (the native HTC UI) immediately crashed and when the error was dismissed Gapps stopped working, Exchange Services, Gmail, and Photos stopped working as well - everytime the error messages were dismissed it would just loop over and over again.

I restarted in Safe Mode and Gapps, Exchange Service, Gmail, and Photos crashed but not Sense Home.

So I force-stopped and disabled Gmail and Photos, restarted in regular mode, and everything has seemed stable thus far. Will try tinkering with Google Play Services settings later and if that fails trying Factory reset.

It's odd that this has all started affecting HTC One M8 owners in around the same time period. Has anyone recieved any malicious attachments or anything weird recently?

Got my HTC around the same time it was released, if that helps any.
    07-11-2016 01:05 AM
    So the same thing is happening to me.

2 nights ago my phone ran out of gas and I went home to plug it in to charge. While it was charging I tried to turn in on and it got stuck on the phone company startup logo screen.

This has happened before, specifically when the phone died and had been dead for a few minutes before I plug it in to charge; usually it forgets all of my stored login info for my apps and once it forgot all of my contacts.

This time however I don't have a home screen that appears after putting my pin. I'm also getting the Unfortunately Sense Home has stopped.

I did manage to fix the issue of the com.google.preference.gapp error message by going into Settings>App Manager>Show System (under the 3 dot/more options button)>Google Play Services>Storage>Manage Space>Clear All Data.

However I still don't have a home screen.

Anybody still working on this?
    07-11-2016 01:45 AM
    I have no way of backing up anything as only own android phone and iPad. I'm getting this loop msg, done all you tried. If I try to get into anything, I'm informed that that site too has stopped working along with all the others.??? well somehow I out waited it over a period of days and finally got into setting and forced stop of google play, problem is still recurring..
    07-11-2016 04:26 PM
    Ok

update for those still curious.

After 2 days worth of research all I've found as solutions haven't worked. I decided factory reset was necessary. Used the File transfer program from HTC to pull contacts, photos, etc. and ran a factory reset.

and yes, it is working now.
    07-11-2016 11:43 PM
    I have been having the same problem. I just disabled the google play services app (and left it disabled) and cleared the app data and cache for Sense home then forced stopped it then the phone kinda went back to normal (or at least useable) for now. hope this is able to kinda help out someone.

update* so far for any process that keeps stopping I clear the app data for it then it starts to work properly. I just enabled and cleared app data for google play services and the continuous google services process errors went away and I just have to sign back into google.
    07-15-2016 11:51 PM
    Every one with the problem is this Marshmallow?
    07-16-2016 04:54 PM
    Every one with the problem is this Marshmallow?
    At least for me Yes Android 6.0
    07-16-2016 05:06 PM
    At least for me Yes Android 6.0
    I've noticed at least two major bugs with Marshmallow that's why I asked... Now i don't know if HTC could resolve this through service pack update to Google Play OR include a fix via Marshmallow 6.0.1 update... Unfortunately, I got a feeling yours and other issues won't probably be dealt with until / if we get Android Nougat update. I did experience a weird issue like the one you have and I think I temporary resolved it by uninstalling the HTC service pack updates to the factory version. Have you tried that?
    07-17-2016 07:20 PM
    So the same thing is happening to me.

2 nights ago my phone ran out of gas and I went home to plug it in to charge. While it was charging I tried to turn in on and it got stuck on the phone company startup logo screen.

This has happened before, specifically when the phone died and had been dead for a few minutes before I plug it in to charge; usually it forgets all of my stored login info for my apps and once it forgot all of my contacts.

This time however I don't have a home screen that appears after putting my pin. I'm also getting the Unfortunately Sense Home has stopped.

I did manage to fix the issue of the com.google.preference.gapp error message by going into Settings>App Manager>Show System (under the 3 dot/more options button)>Google Play Services>Storage>Manage Space>Clear All Data.

However I still don't have a home screen.

Anybody still working on this?
    Had to get to settings. Apps. Went to Sense Home. Long press storage, cleared data. It wiped Home screen but at least now I can get to the Home screens,without the popup that Sense has stopped.
    07-21-2016 11:10 PM
    So here's what I did and it fixed my phone without having to wipe it or factory reset anything. I'm the type that hates having to factory reset when I know there's a solution.

Here it goes:

Sorry I don't have time to properly write down the details of where to go but if you've tried all these solutions you're in the right spot. So settings..app manager...show system...

You want to clear cache for the following...and don't disable any of these after. Keep them on

Google play services.
    Google framework whatever it's called..
    Htc sense home.
    Htc framework something...

Then this will allow Google play store to properly work. So I hold home button to allow Google to open and I say "open Google play store..." web browser opens shows play store I click it..click open in play store...then BOOM HALF WAY THERE!

Go to my apps and update EVERYTHING HTC...I'm talking service pack..lock screen..gallery...DNL whatever...htc help...all of them. Once complete...restart phone...and like opening a present on your birthday...the one you've always wanted...YOUR HOME SCREEN OPENS. You can almost hear the angels playing that heavenly music.

Well..that worked for me..I hope it works for anyone who reads this. I had this problem for 2 days but I was determined to fix it!

Enjoy!

=)

Hello, my name is Mikey.

PREFACE:

Awhile ago, I started having difficulties with my phone, like all the data being deleted from my apps or my phone screen flickering. Those all stopped for awhile, but it seems whenever my phone shuts down from losing battery life and starts up again, it starts up with a new problem. It happened today, and this problem has been the most heinous.

THE PROBLEM:

I plugged in and charged my phone after it died, and when it started up, it started "Initializing applications" or whatever, (it has done this prior to an issue occurring before.)

When my phone started up, I had my lock screen displayed. I swiped up to reach my home screen, but instead got the message: "Unfortunately, Sense Home has stopped." As soon as I hit "OK", the message reappeared. I could do nothing. Soon after that, I got a plethora of other notifications with the text "Unfortunately, ___________ has stopped."

I received a text message in the pull-down from my girlfriend and was able to open the Messages application, but was still bombarded with a different process failure notification every few seconds, (if not back-to-back notifications.) Other than accessing that application as such, I cannot access any other applications. I cannot access other applications. I cannot even go to my home screen. I can't do anything except access the Messages application after getting a Text Message. I can't even make phone calls.

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS:

-I've tried rebooting my HTC One M8.
    -I've tried loading up into Safe Mode.
    -I've tried going into the special menu (when the phone is off) and clearing the cache.
    -I've tried clearing the Cache and THEN starting the phone is Safe Mode...

I've also researched online with my laptop trying to find the solution. Many have had similar problems with different variations, many have solved their problems. But I have not.

ALL of this to no avail. Nothing has changed, I still cannot use my phone!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would very much appreciate help with this. It's driving me crazy!

Thank you,

Mikey.
    08-29-2016 10:28 PM
    Hi,
    First of all, mikeyneedshelp great description of the problem. I also am having exactly the same issue as you are. And each time I have this problem I always lose recent texts, recent messages from WhatsApp, certain phone numbers. So it's really annoying.

Have you guys realized that this problem started affecting us all recently - within the past 2 months? Any idea why?

Lastly, Arturo Lopez66 - your solution seems to have worked for me up to a certain extent. I unfortunately still lost some recent information. In any case, it seems like your solution is only a temporary solution because I will still be required to clear the cache from those apps every once in a while to avoid the phone from crashing.

Does anybody know of a long term solution? And why this even happens in the first place? I haven't been able to pin point the cause. Therefore I dont know what I need to stop doing to avoid this from being a recurring event - I've had to reformat everything 4 times in the past 6-7 weeks.
    08-31-2016 06:50 PM
    Arturo Lopez66 - thank you so much. Your process worked on my daughters One M8. Crazy weird problem. Hoping it doesn't come back.
    Arturo Lopez616 likes this.
    09-02-2016 10:20 PM
    Arturo Lopez66 you are the MAN!!!! Thank you. I thought I had a brick in my hands and most of the information I need to do my work is on this phone.

Thank you! Worked perfectly. Now I just have to wait patiently for all the updates to apply!
    Arturo Lopez616 likes this.
    09-03-2016 11:19 AM

Go to Settings > Apps.

or

Go to Settings > Apps.

Dear emilio, your solution is so much helpful..i disabled and clear cache for htc sense and google play service..it works!!
    09-04-2016 11:43 AM
    So glad to hear it worked for you too. I just knew there was a way and I wasn't willing to lose everything just to not have it work. =)

Arturo Lopez66 - thank you so much. Your process worked on my daughters One M8. Crazy weird problem. Hoping it doesn't come back.
    7AndTRT likes this.
    09-13-2016 01:24 AM
36 12