HTC M8 Battery Drain Issue

Marmaduke57

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Ever since Friday I am getting roughly ~6 hours on a fully battery charge. I have tried restarting the phone, shutting the phone down for a few hours then turning off and back on, and a factory reset already. Nothing has seemed to change. Is my battery slowly dying?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's possible, it is an older device - how different is the 6 hours from what you are used to getting? Has anything changed in how you use it or where you are using it? Has it recently received a software update?

Marmaduke57

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Used to be able to go all day (5.00 am to roughly 10.00 pm). I noticed it Friday at work with no little to no use that the battery was at 40% at 10 am. Use is no different than before. I am on wifi for the vast majority of each day. Software number is 6.21.605.3 on Verizon. It says the software is up to date. No recent software update since Thursday/Friday.

Bouv442

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm running into the exact same problem, and it also started around Friday. I downloaded the battery monitor, and it's telling me that Google Play Services is using over 50% of the battery. Hopefully someone can come up with a fix.

Dragonmaster21

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm running into the exact same problem, and it also started around Friday. I downloaded the battery monitor, and it's telling me that Google Play Services is using over 50% of the battery. Hopefully someone can come up with a fix.

I am also having the same issues with my HTC One m8. Issues started friday after some updates. So far I've done a factory reset and wiped my cache partition. No luck. About the only way I can even get my phone to charge is to power off and let it charge while off. Loaded Gsam battery monitor 2 days ago and google play services have been the biggest battery draw every time I check.

Normally I can go from 6am until 10pm on a so far charge. The past few days I am lucky to get an hour or 2 our of a full charge.

Last edited:

Jim Boling

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Same. Took to Verizon store before I knew it was Google Play services and they witnessed the drain and lined me up for warranty replacement. Now I guess this means the replacement will do the same thing. :(
I am also having the same issues with my HTC One m8. Issues started friday after some updates. So far I've done a factory reset and wiped my cache partition. No luck. About the only way I can even get my phone to charge is to power off and let it charge while off. Loaded Gsam battery monitor 2 days ago and google play services have been the biggest battery draw every time I check.

Normally I can go from 6am until 10pm on a so far charge. The past few days I am lucky to get an hour or 2 our of a full charge.

Marmaduke57

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Currently booted into safe mode at the advice of HTC online chat support for a couple hours. Currently at 68%. I will report back if the battery drain continues.

RtheQ

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
I have had this issue as well and will post battery usage screens in a bit. I was using a crimped USB charger cable that I did not notice for a while which I thought might have hurt the battery. But my battery drain while idle is nearly the same as while browsing the internet/watching videos and Google Services is using 60-75% of screen off usage with Android System and OS using the rest. And 50% even when I am browsing or watching videos. My history graph has my phone almost always awake with almost no screen time. This is with the battery energy saver setting on.

romiust

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I had a similar issue related to T-Mobile with its app. Disabled it after I discovered it was using 17 percent of battery. Seems to help.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21