Transfer Wifi passwords to M10

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I have transferred everything, mostly by SD card to new M10. Is there a way to move just the wifi names and passwords to the new phone? I looked at some smart switch apps, but they did not seem to include wifi passwords. Maybe I am wrong about that. Thanks for any help here.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about apps, but with your Google account that should happen automatically if you're syncing data to it and chose to restore to another phone. I believe now you have to explicitly tick a check mark for that when setting up the account, though.

Oh, and networks that were saved with WPS will not transfer over as they don't really have the password, just the token (which you'd need to get for the new phone).

HnLA

May 31, 2012
Visit site
I tried to use the Get Content from another phone, but the M10 says there is an overlay problem, and there is no way to know which app is the one it is asking about. Is there a way to find a particular file on the old phone and copy and paste. I just want to move the wifi passwords, I have moved the other items. Thank you.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not that I know of...and I'm guessing that particular file would be encrypted and tied to your device (so even copying it would be useless on a different device).

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about apps, but with your Google account that should happen automatically if you're syncing data to it and chose to restore to another phone. I believe now you have to explicitly tick a check mark for that when setting up the account, though.

I've yet to have Google transfer Wi-Fi passwords on any of my phones, and I've seen a lot of others with similar problems.

I wonder if a password manager would work around this? I've recently subscribed to Last Pass, so I'll look into if it allows Wi-Fi passwords to be saved. I know it has a note function to securely store free form notes. That would work in a pinch, but would be more cumbersome than full app integration.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've yet to have Google transfer Wi-Fi passwords on any of my phones, and I've seen a lot of others with similar problems.

I wonder if a password manager would work around this? I've recently subscribed to Last Pass, so I'll look into if it allows Wi-Fi passwords to be saved. I know it has a note function to securely store free form notes. That would work in a pinch, but would be more cumbersome than full app integration.

Not sure if it's Samsung's account or Google, but every time I've changed phones at least in the past couple of years, all my WiFi passwords are transferred over (unless they were saved using WPS...those aren't transferred). I've only used Samsung phones for a while.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if it's Samsung's account or Google, but every time I've changed phones at least in the past couple of years, all my WiFi passwords are transferred over (unless they were saved using WPS...those aren't transferred). I've only used Samsung phones for a while.
I've yet to use a Samsung, so maybe it's their account. I've had Motorola, HTC, and now on LG, all with no luck. Thankfully I only have my home Wi-Fi to remember.

I tried looking more into Last Pass too. It looks like the computer based version is supposed to have the option, but the threads I found on it were old and reporting problems with it. Nothing for the Android app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084