HTC M8 Wont Charge Properly

Josh wright2

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Lately it feels like my battery has been draining faster than usual, but the past two nights my phone hasnt been charging, even though the charging icon is on; when I woke up today it was only at 26% charged. But as I am writing this it charged to 54% in an hour so I am confused whats happening, bearing it happened two nights in a row

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The quick draining and slow charging could be a couple different things going on. If the battery itself is going bad, it can cause both. If the loss of capacity and slowing of charge are about the same in how drastic they are, that could be it. If it's only a small loss of capacity, but a drastic change in charging times, then I doubt this is your issue (though the battery can certainly be showing signs of aging). Shutting off sooner, like at around 20%, because it now thinks it's dead is another sign of a bad battery.

Slow charging could also be a hardware defect. This usual suspect is the USB cable itself going bad, and also the cheapest to replace. The charger itself could also be bad. Unfortunately, the M8 seems to also be prone to the port itself going bad. If that's the case, it'll require extensive repair, and should be serviced by a shop.

badelhas

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that, apart from my failing battery (heavy use for 2 years on a row) the micro usb port is moving and it will only charge properly if I move the cable until I know its really charging. I am replacing my battery in a repair shop in the end of the month and will ask them to see that, which they say its normal.
Maybe it's what's happening to you. Install the App ""Live Charging" which will tell you the amperage when its charging, if its too low, try moving or unplugging then plugging the cable again and see if it gets better. It should be above 1000mAh (except from 80% up, then it slows down).

Cheers

rezonate

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately the HTC One M8 doesn't have a sensor that can read the current charge, and those programs just show an estimate. I've dealt with a bad USB port twice now and GSM was the only App that could tell me if it was at least charging the phone by showing around -500mAh and a higher voltage.

You are spot on about the port moving, and I hope there was some reasoning behind why they made the port move like it does.