Sprint HTC m8, Can I unlock/flash? Do I need to?

johnfolts

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys, brand new to the forum, forgive me if I am asking something that's already been answered. I've been looking for the answers to this for a few days now and haven't found anything clear.

I have an htc m8 from sprint I got from my friend cuz I broke my old phone. The imei is clear. Now I fix computers so I'm not totally technologically illiterate, but I'm interested in learning at least the basics of unlocking and flashing so I can flash/unlock this phone and maybe do it on other phones in the future, and all the reading I've done the past few days has only confused me. I need some guidance.

So GSM to my knowledge means phones with SIM card technology. However this is a sprint phone with a SIM card, and everywhere I read online says that sprint is CMDA only, even unlocking websites. Some sites say it's impossible to unlock this phone. Others say I have to root it, and others say I can literally just pop in my sim card? I also read that some policy sprint done in 2015 all phones are automatically unlocked if they fulfill the qualifications? (no money owed, account that it was attached to in good standing, not reported lost stolen, etc) Do I even need to flash it? I had an at&t phone I was using on cricket before as well, and all I did was just put in the sim card and it worked, after I talked to a few people I was gonna pay to flash it over and they all said it probably wouldn't work and would take a long time and the one tried charging me 40$, so I don't have the fullest confidence that everyone knows what they are doing with this.
I'm attempting to use it on a cricket or boost network. My previous phone had a micro SIM and for this I need a nano and I can go get it and activate it today. Before I waste any more money or thought on this can someone explain any of this to me or at least direct me?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, brand new to the forum, forgive me if I am asking something that's already been answered. I've been looking for the answers to this for a few days now and haven't found anything clear.

I have an htc m8 from sprint I got from my friend cuz I broke my old phone. The imei is clear. Now I fix computers so I'm not totally technologically illiterate, but I'm interested in learning at least the basics of unlocking and flashing so I can flash/unlock this phone and maybe do it on other phones in the future, and all the reading I've done the past few days has only confused me. I need some guidance.

So GSM to my knowledge means phones with SIM card technology. However this is a sprint phone with a SIM card, and everywhere I read online says that sprint is CMDA only, even unlocking websites. Some sites say it's impossible to unlock this phone. Others say I have to root it, and others say I can literally just pop in my sim card? I also read that some policy sprint done in 2015 all phones are automatically unlocked if they fulfill the qualifications? (no money owed, account that it was attached to in good standing, not reported lost stolen, etc) Do I even need to flash it? I had an at&t phone I was using on cricket before as well, and all I did was just put in the sim card and it worked, after I talked to a few people I was gonna pay to flash it over and they all said it probably wouldn't work and would take a long time and the one tried charging me 40$, so I don't have the fullest confidence that everyone knows what they are doing with this.
I'm attempting to use it on a cricket or boost network. My previous phone had a micro SIM and for this I need a nano and I can go get it and activate it today. Before I waste any more money or thought on this can someone explain any of this to me or at least direct me?

Welcome to Android Central!

I would call Sprint and get a hold of someone in there retention department. As long as it was originally your phone they should be able to provide you with the unlock code for the phone.

johnfolts

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I got it from my friend. Can they do it?
and update: I just tried cutting down my old card to nano sim size and put it in, it just says invalid sim card and something about 4g not working.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar