Outgoing email password keeps automatically changing

campersand

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Just got an m8 and I'm having a hard time getting my email to work. I use a different outgoing server from my incoming server, and I have it all set up properly. Every time I try to send an email though, I get an error message saying it was unable to verify my certificate, and when I go back into the settings, the outgoing password is one digit longer than it should be. I've done this several times so I know I'm not just mistyping it. My hunch is that the outgoing password keeps getting changed to the incoming password, which is indeed one digit longer. It's driving me crazy and I can't seem to find any info on it. Is it simply impossible to use different incoming and outgoing servers for the same email address on the m8?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My hunch is that the outgoing password keeps getting changed to the incoming password
Possibly, because the SMTP (outgoing) password is usually assumed to be the IMAP (incoming) password.

I've never tried mixed servers, but I don't think it's going to work. You can check with your email administrator (or company) to see if they have any way of using a standard email app (which takes only one password) to indicate a different password to the SMTP server.

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
Just got an m8 and I'm having a hard time getting my email to work. I use a different outgoing server from my incoming server, and I have it all set up properly. Every time I try to send an email though, I get an error message saying it was unable to verify my certificate, and when I go back into the settings, the outgoing password is one digit longer than it should be. I've done this several times so I know I'm not just mistyping it. My hunch is that the outgoing password keeps getting changed to the incoming password, which is indeed one digit longer. It's driving me crazy and I can't seem to find any info on it. Is it simply impossible to use different incoming and outgoing servers for the same email address on the m8?
Is it company policy that the outgoing password be 1 character shorter than the incoming password?

Peace. Alan
Galaxy S7Edge [MM6.01] Daily Driver
Lumia ICON [Win10M 14965.1001] Hobby

campersand

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Possibly, because the SMTP (outgoing) password is usually assumed to be the IMAP (incoming) password.

I've never tried mixed servers, but I don't think it's going to work. You can check with your email administrator (or company) to see if they have any way of using a standard email app (which takes only one password) to indicate a different password to the SMTP server.

Thanks for the response. The thing I don't get is why there's an option to enter your password in the outgoing settings if it's impossible to use a different one from the incoming password. Anyway, I just switched over to the same server as my incoming and it's working now. I was just using the other one because I've had some issues with the default one in the past.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad