Remove, Disable, or Cripple News Republic on HTC Devices?

Bendigeidfran

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Apparently, Blinkfeed is being replaced with News Republic, which wouldn't be a bad thing, but for the incessant data usage that drained my battery in the space of a single work day. With the chime going off for every breaking news feed, I'm tricked into thinking I've received a text. And then there's the advertising.

First and foremost, I can't have this app or service draining my battery dead while I'm at work. I need to stop that right now, or I will get another phone, and it will not be another HTC device. Ever.

I've read that the service cannot be disabled? Is this true?

If this service cannot be disabled, can I at least prevent the constant news updates and advertisements? Under Data Usage, I found something to Restrict background data, which helps when I'm away from a WiFi network, but I'm still getting hammered with unwelcome news updates when I am connected to a network.

I need this stopped, or I am getting another phone.

EDIT===========>

Can be disabled via Settings/App Manager?

Last edited:

androidugh

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
hey there,
I have been having same struggles with news republic, here is what I have learned by trial and error:
in settings, go to apps, select NR and disable the app and turn off all permissions.

after doing this, I continued to get a banner telling me the app was disabled and asking if I wanted to reinstall, the only options were "yes" and "maybe later", there was no "hell no" option.

then I went to the blinkfeed screen, selected the menu and then the 3 dot menu, selected settings, manage adds. I did not have this checked because the first time I was about to check it I got a message saying that by checking it I would continue to receive add but they would not be interest based...that sounded worse. this time I checked it anyway and so far, the news republic banner has not reappeared.
I need a new phone but am certain that for this reason alone, I will not buy another HTC, I don't want my phone deciding on the quality of the news I receive or how I spend my data/battery....good luck

mhmmdy123

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Go to the blink feed page on your home screen, scroll to right and click on the 3 dot on the top right corner, scroll down and go to manage app click on it and you`ll be able to remove the blink feed complete.
I have the HTC U11.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke