More info on the HTC M9 Plus... Or whatever they call it.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I like it. Hopefully they will release a phone size version of this device because I'm putting it on my wishlist, as an HTC Fanboy. There were too many things I didn't care for with the M8, including the 4 ultra pixel camera. The idea of taking good pics in low light was exciting in theory however disappointing in practice. Hopefully they left out the stuff I didn't like in the UI as well, but having said that I do like what Sense has brought to the table up to my current 5.0 experience. Perhaps I will get 6.0 before my time is up with my current M7.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I can wait until August. And a 5.5 QHD can suck my battery all it wants. But if this rumor turns into smoke and mirrors between now and August, I am gonna say goodbye to HTC.

xXxMVPete

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like this is just the phablet version of the regular HTC M9. I'm guessing the M9 is gonna come out in March/April with a smaller screen and 1080p, while this will come out at the end of the summer.

ab2c4

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
This sounds like a fantastic phone. I guess they are using the Plus name instead of Maxx?

I still would prefer a 1080p display though.

Posted via the Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Why is this in instant buy? Same exact design with the same black bar at the bottom. Only apparent difference is the camera.

While the m7 is the first and only HTC phone that I've never used/owned, I love my m8.

While on screen buttons was new for me, the black bar was and still is not an issue and it's been my daily driver since it came out.

I just don't get what the big deal is about the black bar. In fact every time I try to see if HTC made a mistake and should have left capacitive buttons on the bar, it just felt uncomfortable and to low to use.

Sence 6 has been a dream and is far welcomed after a year on touch wiz. The text reflow in the stock browser is always missed every time I use a different phone, and I'm so glad when I'm back with my m8.
The speakers are not much louder then say my s4 (work phone), but are much clearer and work so much better in my moga while gaming.

Above all, the ui is super smooth. Far faster then most others out today... Even the nexus 6 with stock android seems to not be as smooth sometimes. I also think that Google stole its material design from HTC in some cases. Just look at blink feed on the m8 and then at the new updated YouTube or lollipop and tell me that the look isn't similar.

Once again I'd like to try something different then HTC. I almost went with the G3 as the formfactor fit so well in my hand. But the hardware seemed to low for it and what I would be giving up in return wasn't worth it to me. Maybe if it had an 805 in it like the note 4, I may have jumped. The note 4 on the other hand is slightly too big for me, and I don't need a screen higher than 1080p for my ui no matter what the size of the screen is... Unless the ui is truly stutter free, and both the G3 and the N4 can't say that (although the note 4 has it less them the G3, they both have it to a small degree).

While I still say that there is no perfect phone for everyone, this is the first year that I didn't at least test something for a week to replace my m8.
After all, the m8 is not perfect. It is slightly large for a 5 inch screen, and it is heavy in the hand compared to the s4 that I still use. But other than the G3, nothing has really gotten my attention to give up my daily driver. Not even the beta nexus 6 holds a candle to the m8 in my book.

But what about the black bar you say? What black bar? I never notice it with daily use. Even my friends never notice it when using my phone, and no one has even mentioned it.
This is a phone forum geek complaint, nothing more. The slippery back on the gun metal gray model is a far more worthy complaint.

Senden

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Why is this in instant buy? Same exact design with the same black bar at the bottom. Only apparent difference is the camera.

Which for me, is the biggest gripe I've had with their past phones. I was due an upgrade two years ago and one of the main reasons I went for the Galaxy S4 over the M7 was because of the ultra pixel camera. Being honest it's a little discouraging that they stuck with it for an extra year and the black HTC bar certainly doesn't look necessary to me but ultimately the M8 is probably the sexiest phone design I've seen. While I won't go as far as calling it an instant buy, as someone who has used Samsung phones (S2 and S4) for the last four years, them keeping the same design plus finally seeing sense in ditching the ultrapixel gimmick is more than enough reasons for me to want to jump over to HTC.

Also, is there a rough estimate on the release date of this? I haven't followed HTC closely to be fair but with it being announced early March, going by their History, when should we be expecting this to drop?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
HTC One M9 photos leak with full specs: 1080p, Snapdragon 810 and 20.7MP - Pocket-lint

if this is it, its an instant buy for me. i like the fact they keep the m8 design.

I'm kinda conflicted on this leak.

On one hand, the front looks exactly like the M8 with very minimal changes. Kinda suggests to me this this could be a test unit handed out by HTC to carriers but not the final design . It just looks too similar to the M8 to me. Then again, HTC may be completely happy with the design and this may be it.

There are some differences though. Biggest difference is the camera module going from a circle to a Samsung-looking square design and the edges of this phone don't have the border of the metal that the M8 has.

I mean it looks 'finished' enough to be a final design, but being so similar to the M8 (almost confusingly similar), I don't know if this is it. While I do like the M8 design, it's always nice to get something that looks new.

Which for me, is the biggest gripe I've had with their past phones. I was due an upgrade two years ago and one of the main reasons I went for the Galaxy S4 over the M7 was because of the ultra pixel camera. Being honest it's a little discouraging that they stuck with it for an extra year and the black HTC bar certainly doesn't look necessary to me but ultimately the M8 is probably the sexiest phone design I've seen. While I won't go as far as calling it an instant buy, as someone who has used Samsung phones (S2 and S4) for the last four years, them keeping the same design plus finally seeing sense in ditching the ultrapixel gimmick is more than enough reasons for me to want to jump over to HTC.

Also, is there a rough estimate on the release date of this? I haven't followed HTC closely to be fair but with it being announced early March, going by their History, when should we be expecting this to drop?

The black bar houses components for the screen I believe. They can't stick it right at the bottom because that's where the speaker is. Black bar or not, it's still probably the nicest looking Android phone out there.

Reveal is expected March 1 at Barcelona. Not sure when release will be. Maybe a few weeks after that?

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Well the M8 was an excellent phone and it looks like the M9 will also be an excellent phone. Why wouldn't that be an instant buy for people who are interested in it?

I agree and for many it will be in instant buy. I've has the m7 and m8, both of which were and are amazing phones. I was just saying that if I still had the m8 then the difference would not be worth it.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I agree and for many it will be in instant buy. I've has the m7 and m8, both of which were and are amazing phones. I was just saying that if I still had the m8 then the difference would not be worth it.

Think of it this way...
You already had an m7 and then got an m8. To anyone other then a phone geek, they are almost the same phones.

Both have all metal backs, the m8 could be argued has a worse camera due to lack of ois yet are both 4 ultra pixels, both have blinkfeed, and while there are slight differences in design they are almost the same phones. Yet you got both of them.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Think of it this way...
You already had an m7 and then got an m8. To anyone other then a phone geek, they are almost the same phones.

Both have all metal backs, the m8 could be argued has a worse camera due to lack of ois yet are both 4 ultra pixels, both have blinkfeed, and while there are slight differences in design they are almost the same phones. Yet you got both of them.

I had them both. I love both of them but I think the M8 was substantially better. The screen, the speakers, battery life and even the camera. I know that it's without OIS (and that's a big deal) but they certainly fixed the purple tint issue and improved the brightness of outdoor photos a little, though it still has a lot to be desired. I love the Duo Camera setup. I'm disappointed they are going away from the UltraPixel. I like the fact that file sizes are smaller and the low-light photos beat everything else I've played with, including the kids' iPhone 5S and 6 and the wife's Note. Blinkfeed is a non-issue for me, as it's not my home screen.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm disappointed they are going away from the UltraPixel. I like the fact that file sizes are smaller and the low-light photos beat everything else I've played with, including the kids' iPhone 5S and 6 and the wife's Note. Blinkfeed is a non-issue for me, as it's not my home screen.

Rumours suggest that the front-facing camera will be the ultrapixel camera.

And I liked Blinkfeed. Use it as one of my news feeds. Just another source of info.

Senden

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Rumours suggest that the front-facing camera will be the ultrapixel camera.

And I liked Blinkfeed. Use it as one of my news feeds. Just another source of info.

That's what I'm hoping for, ultrapixel seems very hit and miss for me and didn't want it as the main camera on my phone but it has it's advantages and if they do make it front-facing, would give everyone the best of both worlds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36