What would be HTC reasoning for releasing a 5in and a 5.2in phone?

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Good question! That's why it's best to wait and see what actually is released. (But it's hard to wait!!)

Sent from my Tapatalk 4.9.5 :-D

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely no other differences? Competition. But if they're making a phone with some other new things, and a slightly larger screen becomes available for almost the same cost, they can charge more than that difference by making the phone with a larger screen, even if it's only the thickness of a coin. That equals more profit (which is the only reason any company is in business, unless it's a charity).

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
The Ultra/Max/Plus model supposedly has a larger screen (even if it is just 0.2"), fingerprint scanner, 1440p screen and duo camera. So for people who want those features my be intrigued by the larger model.

I myself will be content with the 5" HTC One M9. Smaller size suits me, I'm happy with 1080p and like the design of the One M9 more than the M9 Max that evleaks showed in that render.

spiff_p239

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Nothing wrong with having options. It lets HTC appeal to a larger market and gives the buyer the choice of which features (if I can be your hero is correct) they want to pay for on their phone.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I think this is a bad idea for HTC. With all things being the same (camera, software, button placement, etc), and almost the same size screen (regardless if the larger one is 1440), putting out two phones (at or almost the same time) will only confuse consumers and dilute your flagship brand.

If the choice was relatively the same components and features but now with a half inch or larger screen difference, then consumers will see a normal phone and a phablet. In this case consumers will understand the choices and will respond positively.

What I'm seeing right now is we have a choice between an HTC One m9 and the HTC One m9 thumb (due to finger print scanner). And that my friends is confusing as heck for everyone.

I'm lucky that my m8 non thumb (see what I did there) is working out great for me. I can now wait for the S6 and the G4 to come out first before I jump onto my next phone and use up my next upgrade.
I love HTC phones and the m7 was the only one I didn't get. If I had to pick one right now I'd get the m9 non thumb because I'm not into phablet size phones and at 1080p it will be the fastest phone for gaming that uses the sd810 chipset. 1440p is only worth it on 5.5" screens or larger and that is still overkill in my book.

With the m9 non thumb, I'll not only have a screaming fast phone for gaming but much better battery life. The only thing that might get me to choose "the thumb" is if it had OIS on the camera and the non thumb didn't....and even then I might skip it and go with an S6 or G4 depending on what Sammy and lg does with there flagship devices.

I'm rooting for HTC to once again to not disappoint me. I think the only things that will get me upset is if the m9 non thumb lacks OIS with the camera and/or text reflow no longer works in the stock browser. Everything else I have complete confidence that HTC will hit a home run with me. Their software is the best in Android, and I love that I never have to turn on or off my phone with the button due to gestures.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia