HTC M9 Specs Leak (No QHD)

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
On one my biggest requirements in a phone is the camera. The N6 and the N4 just do not do justice in that area.

By N4 do you mean Note 4? If so, hasn't that been praised as one of the best (if not the best) cameras on an Android phone?

In any case, as mentioned the major difference between the 1440p display of the Note 4 and the 1080p display of the Xperia Z3 is the screen technology. Samsung have done extremely well with the AMOLED displays now and the Note 4 has a truly excellent screen. Better than anything I've seen. However that is major differing point of the Z3 and Note 4, not necessarily the resolution.

I'd rather stick to a 1080p screen. Most content is for 1080p, and 2k content is negligible on a 2k screen. Having owned a G3, there was not a single time when I thought 'oh yeah, this is better than the 1080p screens I had'. We're at a point now where resolution increases are heavily susceptible to diminishing returns.

I hope the 5" 1080p screen for the One M9 is true. I'd rather the better battery life and a pretty much negligible difference in resolution.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
By N4 do you mean Note 4? If so, hasn't that been praised as one of the best (if not the best) cameras on an Android phone?

In any case, as mentioned the major difference between the 1440p display of the Note 4 and the 1080p display of the Xperia Z3 is the screen technology. Samsung have done extremely well with the AMOLED displays now and the Note 4 has a truly excellent screen. Better than anything I've seen. However that is major differing point of the Z3 and Note 4, not necessarily the resolution.

I'd rather stick to a 1080p screen. Most content is for 1080p, and 2k content is negligible on a 2k screen. Having owned a G3, there was not a single time when I thought 'oh yeah, this is better than the 1080p screens I had'. We're at a point now where resolution increases are heavily susceptible to diminishing returns.

I hope the 5" 1080p screen for the One M9 is true. I'd rather the better battery life and a pretty much negligible difference in resolution.

Sorry I meant the Nexus not the Note
and yes I do see your point. I personally prefer the AMOLED on the S5 to the IPS on the Z3, but the Z3 brightness of the screen in sunlight is much much better than the S5

I guess at the end of the day, it comes to what each person looks for in a phone. I'm more of a person that wants the latest tech in the phone, which can be a good and a bad thing considering QHD will affect battery performance. I don't think the S6 will have better battery life than the Z3 (which I get about 1.5 days without charge), but I am hoping it will balance that out with everything else

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Sorry I meant the Nexus not the Note
and yes I do see your point. I personally prefer the AMOLED on the S5 to the IPS on the Z3, but the Z3 brightness of the screen in sunlight is much much better than the S5

Yeah that is true. Because LCD's are backlit, they can go to higher brightness levels which especially helps in bright day light.

I guess at the end of the day, it comes to what each person looks for in a phone. I'm more of a person that wants the latest tech in the phone, which can be a good and a bad thing considering QHD will affect battery performance. I don't think the S6 will have better battery life than the Z3 (which I get about 1.5 days without charge), but I am hoping it will balance that out with everything else

Fair enough. You have your own checklist of what you're after on a phone. For me, I want a balance of all things, not just the latest and greatest. If higher resolution screens means less battery life, then no, I'll like the lower resolution screen with better battery. I don't want a camera that's only really good in bright, well-lit areas, but I want it to also be very good in low light shots too (of which, only the iPhone 6/6+ that I've seen strikes that balance well).

It's funny because I don't recall anyone or any reviewer saying the One M8's screen was no good, but now all of a sudden the One M9 isn't good enough if it doesn't have some particular resolution? I don't buy that argument. If the screen was great on the M8 at a particular resolution, then it's still great this year with that same resolution.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yeah that is true. Because LCD's are backlit, they can go to higher brightness levels which especially helps in bright day light.

Fair enough. You have your own checklist of what you're after on a phone. For me, I want a balance of all things, not just the latest and greatest. If higher resolution screens means less battery life, then no, I'll like the lower resolution screen with better battery. I don't want a camera that's only really good in bright, well-lit areas, but I want it to also be very good in low light shots too (of which, only the iPhone 6/6+ that I've seen strikes that balance well).

It's funny because I don't recall anyone or any reviewer saying the One M8's screen was no good, but now all of a sudden the One M9 isn't good enough if it doesn't have some particular resolution? I don't buy that argument. If the screen was great on the M8 at a particular resolution, then it's still great this year with that same resolution.

Agree with the camera point...the camera is actually among my top factors for choosing a phone, and if the Galaxy S6 had a horrible camera I probably would get a different phone for that reason. That is actually the reason I chose the S5 over the M8 was because I personally though the camera was better on the S5, and is also why I changed to the Z3 (very good low light photos)

The M8 had a great screen, and I do believe the M9 screen will be just as good if not better than the M8. I have no doubt that the M9 will make an impact this year even if the screen is left at 1080p. Samsung has a marketing advantage over HTC which doesn't help HTC at all, but I believe both will be very good phones.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Smooth and Hero,

When I originally used the abbreviation of N4, I was talking about the note 4 as I clearly was talking about 2k screens.

With that said, I hope that we all find a good phone that matches our needs. With a great camera for Smooth and a long lasting phone for Hero.

Personally my dream phone would have a great camera with an f2.0 lens and OIS. But I don't think HTC is going to do this unless the rumors just didn't include it or leakers just didn't know it was included.

A phone camera was never a big deal for me as I use a dSLR for important stuff and only use my phone when I want a quick snap of something. 4k recording is ultra low on my list as I would use a real camcorder for such things if truly needed. But I do allot of gaming on my phone and not the kind like candy crush. So I'm looking for an update to the adrino 330 that is in my phone. The S6 is on my short list as well because of this and I'm not ruling out the G4 because I liked the G3 allot but AT&T destroyed it with removing the FM radio and forcing you to use a different type of wireless charging then the rest of the phones that have this feature. You couldn't even buy it unlocked like HTC, Samsung, and Motorola phones.

Again Smooth, I'm sorry if I originally sounded harsh or upset that you're a Samsung fan. I didn't mean anything by it. After all, I'm an HTC fan. No biggie.

I do think that you got a great phone with that Z3. It has the best screen Sony put out IMHO. Never played with it much longer then 5 mins but it was much better then the original Z that a friend imported. I'm also glad to hear that it takes great low light shots for you as it didn't get such high marks in some reviews, but we all know that reviews aren't everything.

Anyway, again, gl to everyone in buying their next phone. My we one day find our dream phone with all the specs that we are asking for and the software that is both pleasant in its functions and our eyes.... And battery life that lasts all week. Lol

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Hero,

I guess I'm more like you. I'm looking for more of a balance in a phone. Don't get me wrong, I like the latest and greatest specs too. But unless it's a phablet I just don't see the need for 2k as nobody puts a big enough battery in such standard phones besides what Sony did with the Z3.

As for screens, Samsung has done a great job with screen brightness since the S4. I think it had something like 400 and change in nits. And the One m8 is more or less the same in nits, so Sammy had been doing great well before the note 4. I wouldn't mind trying the nexus 6 but at just 200 and change in nits I just don't think that it is as bright as some say in bright sunlight. Sammy clearly saves the best screens for themselves.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
No on the QHD. Completely unnecessary. Take that tech and put it on tablets. No use for it in phones unless it's over 5.5"*

Posted via the Android Central App

ollieg

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Most of the latest high resolution is needed for TV and it's 100x of screen real estate compared to a phone.

I'm more interested in the m9 having an accurate display than trying to play a numbers game. But time will tell...

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The 1080p resolution doesn't bother me. When I had the Z3v, the resolution of the screen was excellent and it was "only" a 1080p. I'm okay with that.

If the camera is so much better, I'm in. I'm ready to ditch my Turbo.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
Most of the latest high resolution is needed for TV and it's 100x of screen real estate compared to a phone.

I'm more interested in the m9 having an accurate display than trying to play a numbers game. But time will tell...

True This...

Nothing wrong with the m8 screen at 1080 and with new hardware this phone is going to scream.

Posted via Android Central App on my HTC M8

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd much prefer to see 1080p, it's beautiful at the 5 inch point and saves on battery life in multiple ways. I'm glad they're still increasing panel resolution as we need it for tablets, but we're probably OK on smartphones for a good while now.

This is nitpicky, but I'd prefer to see the M9 come with a 5.2 inch screen as opposed to a 5.0 inch. For me 5.2-5.3 inches in the sweet spot, 5 inches is a little small and 5.5 is a little big.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I saw PocketNow's review of the G Flex 2 on YouTube earlier. Michael wasn't at all impressed with the SD 810, saying that it slowed the phone down to a crawl. Granted, the device wasn't a U.S. variant, but it still wasn't confidence inspiring. With the talk of overheating issues as well, I'm concerned that the metal of the M9 will be quite hot when handling it.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
They won't bring a phone to market with issues like that. I'm confident in HTCs ability. I'm impatiently awaiting this phone. As soon as it's available, Dev Edition here I come!

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I saw PocketNow's review of the G Flex 2 on YouTube earlier. Michael wasn't at all impressed with the SD 810, saying that it slowed the phone down to a crawl. Granted, the device wasn't a U.S. variant, but it still wasn't confidence inspiring. With the talk of overheating issues as well, I'm concerned that the metal of the M9 will be quite hot when handling it.

I just watched that video as well. What we are seeing is LG's software that needs to be more finely tuned, not the CPU throttling. Throttling doesn't cause screen redraws and lag. Memory leaks and unrefined software does cause it. You'll get this sometimes in phones with lollypop if you don't restart your phone a couple of times a week...like in the nexus 6.

it just seems more pronounced here in the Gflex 2.

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

I don't agree that he attributed the sluggishness to the SD810.