The Verge M9 "mini" Review "the world’s most beautiful disappointment"

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I think we should wait for the final release version to see how the camera performs. The M8 was an almost perfect phone, but the camera..
HTC knows that and I hope they really tried to make sure that this doesn't happen again with the M9.
I like the new design and I might still get the M9..

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
That sums up how I feel pretty much to a tee. It's good, but a new coat of paint on last years model and a minor tech bump isn't enough. Not with LG, Samsung and Moto running full steam.

Hopefully HTC will return to form with the M10 after all this.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
That sums up how I feel pretty much to a tee. It's good, but a new coat of paint on last years model and a minor tech bump isn't enough. Not with LG, Samsung and Moto running full steam.

Hopefully HTC will return to form with the M10 after all this.

im thinking the g4 wont be a huge change either, if anything it will have a higher res screen that kills the larger battery faster. probably a self healing back "gimmick" like the g flex 2 has. as far as moto, yes they are really doing the right thing giving people quality phones for a cheap price. at least with the E and G lines.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
im thinking the g4 wont be a huge change either, if anything it will have a higher res screen that kills the larger battery faster. probably a self healing back "gimmick" like the g flex 2 has. as far as moto, yes they are really doing the right thing giving people quality phones for a cheap price. at least with the E and G lines.

I've never been a huge fan of LG, my LG G2's internal storage jacked up 3 months into owning the phone, but they are nice phones design wise. HTC keeps pushing design and quality but all the major phone manufactures are rapidly catching up or already there. M7 and M8 were beautifully designed metal phones in a sea of boring plastic. The M9 is still that same designed phone, but now in a sea of many other well made and well designed phones.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
tbh i don't expect anyting better for the s6 smooth but yeah the m9 is being bashed everywhere.

In what regard don't you expect anything better from the S6? Just because HTC chose the route they did with the M9 doesn't mean everyone else is going to follow suit.

lindseybp

May 7, 2010
Visit site
i guess im the only one that doesn't really use the flash or camera on a phone much let alone let that stop me from buying a phone.

I don't think you're the only one at all as a lot of people don't have that high on their priority list. For me personally it is the #1 priority. Having kids the only thing I always have with me is my phone so I pull it out and use it all the time. If the S6 camera is as good as they say it will probably drive me to get an S6. Was hoping the M9 was going to come through with an updated design and camera with OIS.

Wow, just read The Verge mini review. Totally ripped the M9. The guy has had it for a week so that's a pretty good time frame to give a realistic impression. Disappointing camera really is a deal breaker for me. To upgrade the camera and not have it be fantastic is just dumb. I really think HTC is screwing themselves. Makes me wonder who the heck is making these decisions. I really wanted the M9 to be great, will be going with an S6 now.

Last edited:

anon(871934)

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
The pricing on these two phones is still somewhat of a rumor but there does appear to be a significant increase in price for the s6 over the m9. Everyone is comparing these phones as if they are equals but if the S6 carries a $150+ premium over the m9 then I think the whole value proposition changes greatly.

smooth3006

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The pricing on these two phones is still somewhat of a rumor but there does appear to be a significant increase in price for the s6 over the m9. Everyone is comparing these phones as if they are equals but if the S6 carries a $150+ premium over the m9 then I think the whole value proposition changes greatly.

The m9 will be cheaper point blank.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Seems like the camera is the drawback for the phone.

Have to wait and see if the final software improves it. Still though, looks like a great device.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you're the only one at all as a lot of people don't have that high on their priority list. For me personally it is the #1 priority. Having kids the only thing I always have with me is my phone so I pull it out and use it all the time. If the S6 camera is as good as they say it will probably drive me to get an S6. Was hoping the M9 was going to come through with an updated design and camera with OIS.

Wow, just read The Verge mini review. Totally ripped the M9. The guy has had it for a week so that's a pretty good time frame to give a realistic impression. Disappointing camera really is a deal breaker for me. To upgrade the camera and not have it be fantastic is just dumb. I really think HTC is screwing themselves. Makes me wonder who the heck is making these decisions. I really wanted the M9 to be great, will be going with an S6 now.

Verge was the only preview of the M9 not to mention that they don't have the final camera software. Every other website tempered their opinion based on that. I'll wait until the actual review with the finished software before I make up my mind. That said it won't have OIS which is bad. if you aren't going to change the exterior of the phone you better go all in on its weakest link the camera and I don't think they went far enough.....again.

Posted via the Android Central App

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The m9 will be cheaper point blank.

Not so sure about that. Samsung can source nearly everything internally for their device, their costs are going to be quite a bit lower than HTC's. Samsung CPU with Samsung UFS NAND being powered by a Samsung battery, all displayed on a Samsung AMOLED screen. And that's just the Samsung Electronics stuff. The rest of the chaebol can provide chemicals (plastics, as in PCBs), steel, and fabrication equipment as well.

Of course, they have to get the Gorilla Glass from Corning.

BigCTM

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Unlike a lot of people, the camera on the M8 is a plus for me. I get better low light shots than my wife does with her IPhone. Hate that they are doing a me too camera and abandoning the ultra pixel technology...

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Not so sure about that. Samsung can source nearly everything internally for their device, their costs are going to be quite a bit lower than HTC's. Samsung CPU with Samsung UFS NAND being powered by a Samsung battery, all displayed on a Samsung AMOLED screen. And that's just the Samsung Electronics stuff. The rest of the chaebol can provide chemicals (plastics, as in PCBs), steel, and fabrication equipment as well.

Of course, they have to get the Gorilla Glass from Corning.

Are you trying to be coy here? Maybe the 32gb S6 will cost the same as the M9 but the M9 with 160gb storage will cost way less the the G6 or G6 edge with 128gb storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781