I got the M8 for the front speakers!

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I find it funny how everyone is losing it over the camera. I never bothered looking into the camera info when I was researching into m8. I did searches for best sounding phone for audiophiles and HTC came way out on top. For instance if you go to gsmarena.com they have done in depth review of the quality of the audio hardware and m8 is way above most phones. Glad they look to be maintaining that audio quality but probably won't update my phone until the m10 comes out. I would have thought that since phones are being used for media consumption like games and music and video that audio quality would be more important than camera quality. It'll be a shame if HTC loses reputation over camera because I admire what they have done overall with the phone.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I find it funny how everyone is losing it over the camera. I never bothered looking into the camera info when I was researching into m8. I did searches for best sounding phone for audiophiles and HTC came way out on top. For instance if you go to gsmarena.com they have done in depth review of the quality of the audio hardware and m8 is way above most phones. Glad they look to be maintaining that audio quality but probably won't update my phone until the m10 comes out. I would have thought that since phones are being used for media consumption like games and music and video that audio quality would be more important than camera quality. It'll be a shame if HTC loses reputation over camera because I admire what they have done overall with the phone.

But the problem is they lost reputation beginning with the M7. You would have thought the M8 would have done the trick. But certainly by the M9. No one can gripe about the build quality as they are superb and the front facing speakers are icing on the cake. But most people use their phones for cameras and if they don't get it right this time, HTC will loose out.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
But the problem is they lost reputation beginning with the M7. You would have thought the M8 would have done the trick. But certainly by the M9. No one can gripe about the build quality as they are superb and the front facing speakers are icing on the cake. But most people use their phones for cameras and if they don't get it right this time, HTC will loose out.

That Toshiba T4kA7 sensor. Htc is the first to use it in there phones correct and isn't everyone using the Sony 16mega pixel sensor. So being that the Toshiba isn't familiar I would say they would have to tweak it to get it right but I believe the camera will be great

Posted via the Android Central App

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
That Toshiba T4kA7 sensor. Htc is the first to use it in there phones correct and isn't everyone using the Sony 16mega pixel sensor. So being that the Toshiba isn't familiar I would say they would have to tweak it to get it right but I believe the camera will be great

But wouldn't they have tweaked it and had it ready before the reveal??? R&D??? I was set on the M9 but it has to take a backseat until some real world reviews come in.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
But wouldn't they have tweaked it and had it ready before the reveal??? R&D??? I was set on the M9 but it has to take a backseat until some real world reviews come in.

Yeah that would make sense. I believe that it's one of those things that in the lab it looks great then in real world your like damn. It will be interesting to see though cause that sensor is brand spanking new,everyone knows the Sony sensor we shall see. Me I will be getting the m9 as I change phones every single year. So it doesn't bother me besides HTC has been good to me cause it just works no lag antennas work well clarity sound Bluetooth. I have had issues with Samsung phones and I really don't like software gimmicks.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that would make sense. I believe that it's one of those things that in the lab it looks great then in real world your like damn. It will be interesting to see though cause that sensor is brand spanking new,everyone knows the Sony sensor we shall see. Me I will be getting the m9 as I change phones every single year. So it doesn't bother me besides HTC has been good to me cause it just works no lag antennas work well clarity sound Bluetooth. I have had issues with Samsung phones and I really don't like software gimmicks.

I know they mentioned using the antenna placement and/or design from the M7 with the M9.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I know when I see people using their phones for media, they mostly just use headphones. That kinda negates the need for great speakers. I rarely ever use the speakers on my phone so to me it's not a selling point at all. Camera on the other hand is something that I use all of the time. It'll be interesting to see how the M9 camera is once they've actually got the firmware it's shipping with on it.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I understand camera is important but I can only speak for myself when I say I have streamed more films and music and played games more than I have taken pictures with my phone. To me the m8 camera is good but then I'm not part of the 'instagram generation'. The quality of the screen and speakers (and headphones) is more important to me. But for others I can understand why people maybe upset that the camera is not good enough. HTC has a good reputation with regard to software updates so I'm sure that they will optimising the camera issues as we speak. Wether they should have released the preview edition of the phone with the alleged software issues especially with regard to their history with cameras is another question. At the moment it looks like this has given the tech journalists an easy task to tease HTC on that sensitive camera issue again.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I understand camera is important but I can only speak for myself when I say I have streamed more films and music and played games more than I have taken pictures with my phone. To me the m8 camera is good but then I'm not part of the 'instagram generation'. The quality of the screen and speakers (and headphones) is more important to me. But for others I can understand why people maybe upset that the camera is not good enough. HTC has a good reputation with regard to software updates so I'm sure that they will optimising the camera issues as we speak. Wether they should have released the preview edition of the phone with the alleged software issues especially with regard to their history with cameras is another question. At the moment it looks like this has given the tech journalists an easy task to tease HTC on that sensitive camera issue again.

I am right there with yah especially that dobly surround of the m9 looking forward to it. I love the fact that HTC makes sure everything works right

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I listen to music more often than not, and very sporadically take pictures, so the speakers are most important to me. I would hope they could only help with call quality, as well.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Last year they said the Boomsound was 40% louder on the M8 vs the M7. They never said anything this year and the M9 being louder than the M8. Am I suppose to take away from this that Dolby has improved the sound quality and no changes were made to the volume?

Last edited:

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Last year they said the Boomsound was 40% louder on the M8 vs the M7. They never said anything this year and the M9 being louder than the M9. Am I suppose to take away from this that Dolby has improved the sound quality and no changes were made to the volume?

That's my understanding. Maybe a little louder but big improvement in quality.

Posted via Android Central App

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
How can you get Dolby 5.1 sound with two channels? It doesn't make sense. You need a sub, center channel, two front speakers and two rear speakers. This is like home theatre 101 here. They should have just said they improved the stereo sound which is all you can get with, you got it, two channels. It is called "surround sound" for a reason. The speakers literally surround you.

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Well see the front speakers matter to you so that is why you researched it .. to others the camera may be way more important than the speakers. I am one of those people since I use my Bluetooth headset for sound -- not the speakers.

Everyone has different needs -- hence why we all have to look what is important to us when selecting the "perfect" smartphone :D.

Slick1020

Banned
Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
I'll be honest. I love the sound of music played through the ear buds on M7/M8. The beats audio blew me away when I first plugged in my ear buds on my M7 a few years ago. If anyone with an iPhone absolutely loves music and utilized an M7/M8, they would probably never use an iPhone again. I'm almost nervous to even buy the S6. I know HTC offers the smoothest version of Android and no phone can rival the speakers or headphone sound.

I do have a question for everyone. Do you prefer the headphone jack on top or bottom of the phone? For some reason I prefer the top especially after obtaining a pair of Sol Republic everyday active ear buds. They sound amazing but a little tap and the plug comes out of the jack.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you prefer the headphone jack on top or bottom of the phone?

I have had phones with it on both locations and I think either works because I tend to find fault with both set ups depending on what I'm doing. When I have the phone resting in a cradle on my desk, I want the headphone jack on top since the bottom is facing the cradle. However, when I'm in a car, like a rental or one where I can't use bluetooth, I like it on the bottom because I always put it in a dash stand that has openings in the bottom and I can run a line-in audio.

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I have always wondered why no one ever focused on the speaker/sound output section at all..

It is like everyone pointing on that there is dolby surround and that's about it, i do wonder if they actually do work and they are not a gimmick or something similar to beats or boomsound switch.
let's say are they better than the harmon kardon edition?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
The thing is, there is no excuse not to have a great camera in this iteration. They know people want a great camera, why not just include a great camera? If Apple and Samsung can do it why can't HTC too?

📱6+🐜

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Personally I like it best on the bottom. Every time I put it in my pocket it's top down for easy quick draw out of my pocket. If the jack is on the bottom then any headset works without bending the wire by the jack. This is really needed if you have a wired headset that is not a 90 degree angle at the jack. So bottom is the way to go for pockets.

Posted via Android Central App using the all new HTC One (m8)

Slick1020

Banned
Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
HTC's main focus was on their under armor fitness band and virtual reality machine. They are trying to be more diversified in products for the purpose of profits. After the battle with Apple, they quickly learned just selling smart phones may not lead to longevity. I hope they do well this year. If not, HTC will be in trouble.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol