Why all of the M9 hate? I don't get it...

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Haha ok I'm in.

Just because if I were to lose I'll be purchasing the M9 probably anyway haha.

I'll let you set the rules on how we decide what quantifies as better, I suggest using specific reputable review sites to see what they say

I'd like to go for the avatar one, hope you're a Steve Jobs fan :p

Mmmm now we're taking. OK then. The rules are simple, I'll request that you choose the sources that analyze and compare the camera quality (a minimum of 5). You can use either the conclusion of the author or the results from a bind poll. I prefer that they be reputable as being known for reviewing tech products, regardless if they are biased or not. Also to add another dynamic to the camera quality improvements, you can either use comparisons against the M8 OR comparisons against its competition. We'll keep it limited to the rear shooter (you can include the front facing one as well). For the camera quality, you can also pick which aspects you want to judge, for example:

1. Dynamic range, contrast, saturation, sharpness
2. Low light performance (i.e., exposure, noise level, etc.)
3. Details quality
4. HDR quality
5. Video Recording quality (i.e., image stabilization, frame rate, metering, etc.)
6. Macro photography

For the battery comparison, I will prefer to use a minimum of 5 reputable websites or video comparisons. I'll be using numbers only and will only include caveats that are made by the author. If a direct comparison to the M8 isn't made in the article, I'll use the data from the M8 review provided by the same source as the M9 review. For the battery life test I'll focus on:

1. Screen on time
2. Standby time
3. Web browsing time
4. Video playback time
5. Voice call times, etc.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Mmmm now we're taking. OK then. The rules are simple, I'll request that you choose the sources that analyze and compare the camera quality (a minimum of 5). You can use either the conclusion of the author or the results from a bind poll. I prefer that they be reputable as being known for reviewing tech products, regardless if they are biased or not. Also to add another dynamic to the camera quality improvements, you can either use comparisons against the M8 OR comparisons against its competition. We'll keep it limited to the rear shooter (you can include the front facing one as well). For the camera quality, you can also pick which aspects you want to judge, for example:

1. Dynamic range, contrast, saturation, sharpness
2. Low light performance (i.e., exposure, noise level, etc.)
3. Details quality
4. HDR quality
5. Video Recording quality (i.e., image stabilization, frame rate, metering, etc.)
6. Macro photography

For the battery comparison, I will prefer to use a minimum of 5 reputable websites or video comparisons. I'll be using numbers only and will only include caveats that are made by the author. If a direct comparison to the M8 isn't made in the article, I'll use the data from the M8 review provided by the same source as the M9 review. For the battery life test I'll focus on:

1. Screen on time
2. Standby time
3. Web browsing time
4. Video playback time
5. Voice call times, etc.

Ok cool, I'd like to compare the camera to the M8 also. Lets not included the front facing shooter as it was never up for debate.

For reviewers, The review sites I follow are. Android Central obv, Android Authority, PocketNow, Phone Arena, AnandTech, MKBHD, PhoneBuff

Add in any you'd like

I don't think we need a hugely detailed bet, I'm happy with your suggested criteria but I think the answers will be very obvious in the first few reviews.

Good Luck to us all!

Last edited by a moderator:

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok cool, I'd like to compare the camera to the M8 also. Lets not included the front facing shooter as it was never up for debate.

For reviewers, The review sites I follow are. Android Central obv, Android Authority, PocketNow, Phone Arena, AnandTech, MKBHD, PhoneBuff

Add in any you'd like

I don't think we need a hugely detailed bet, I'm happy with your suggested criteria but I think the answers will be very obvious in the first few reviews.

Good Luck to us all!

I'll use gsmarena, phonearena, pocketnow, techradar, and slashgear. Let's do this!!!!

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
As it happens, the M9 will have to get ruined in the reviews to stop be buying one.

The S6 edge has come to the UK at far too high a price

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
As it happens, the M9 will have to get ruined in the reviews to stop be buying one.

The S6 edge has come to the UK at far too high a price

If the M8 reviews were good with the exception of the camera, then I think the M9 will fair pretty good since it improved nearly every aspect of the M8.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
@ ALL

I apologize a few comments were removed to clean up some in thread bickering going on. The one piece of advice a member gave in this thread to discuss the device and not the member is the best thing I've heard in a while ! Comment of the week or month in my opinion.

Nobody is forced to participate, nobody is forced to like or thank one another but you are expected to conduct yourself in an adult manor when you do respond in the thread. Calling out another member, using words like troll and/or any other similar comments will only get you in the hot seat. We have a report button, if you feel the Mod Team needs to check something out then use it. Don't take matters into your own hands and never use these forums as your personal playground to insult and disrespect a fellow member even if you DON'T AGREE WITH THEM OR THEIR COMMENTS.

Paul
Mod Team Leader @ AC.

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
My guess is that all of these hate topics will wither and die once the actual units are out. Everyone writing a review is going to be obliged to comment on the overheating aspect. After that the merits and faults of the phone will be discussed, comparisons will be made and people will fall into their traditional camps. In six months either these threads will be buried and forgotten or HTC will be.

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
This thread just got awesome with the Alex_NJ vs Habiib contest. If all debates were resolved like this forums would be a much more pleasant/intelligent place.

My moneys on Habiib coming out on top here but I really cannot wait to see what you guys come up with, great stuff - Adam

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
This thread just got awesome with the Alex_NJ vs Habiib contest. If all debates were resolved like this forums would be a much more pleasant/intelligent place.

My moneys on Habiib coming out on top here but I really cannot wait to see what you guys come up with, great stuff - Adam

He's put himself in a tough spot because he needs BOTH the battery life and Camera to have improved since the M9.

It's now come out the S6's battery life is no improvement since the S5 and the M9's bigger battery may not be enough for the reviewers to report an improvement

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
He's put himself in a tough spot because he needs BOTH the battery life and Camera to have improved since the M9.

It's now come out the S6's battery life is no improvement since the S5 and the M9's bigger battery may not be enough for the reviewers to report an improvement

Considering the inside info from an htc employee, the battery life figures from chip.de and tweakers.net are final.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Considering the inside info from an htc employee, the battery life figures from chip.de and tweakers.net are final.

I'm not understanding how one can test with pre-release software build and the figures are final. That's simply impossible. HTC just recently finalized the baseline release, so how can any results prior to those changes be final. How did you reach that conclusion?

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

I think I have this in the bag. On paper, the Toshiba sensor is superior to the outgoing UltraPixel sensor in nearly every facet except for the pixel size. The UltraPixel camera also stands little chance of producing better results for video recording (since they've included EIS).

Also, this is just a guess, but I wonder if the reduction in battery capacity in conjunction with the use of a QHD display is the cause of the battery test results to appear less than optimal for the S6. Regardless, this is going to be FUN!!! Best of luck because you're going to need it..hahaha

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I'm not understanding how one can test with pre-release software build and the figures are final. That's simply impossible. HTC just recently finalized the baseline release, so how can any results prior to those changes be final. How did you reach that conclusion?

Because the insider revealed that the only thing that changed from the pre-release software to the final software was removing the exclusion of the throttling in benchmarks and some camera tweaks.
Everything should stay the same.

John Kar

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
I think I have this in the bag. On paper, the Toshiba sensor is superior to the outgoing UltraPixel sensor in nearly every facet except for the pixel size. The UltraPixel camera also stands little chance of producing better results for video recording (since they've included EIS).

Also, this is just a guess, but I wonder if the reduction in battery capacity in conjunction with the use of a QHD display is the cause of the battery test results to appear less than optimal for the S6. Regardless, this is going to be FUN!!! Best of luck because you're going to need it..hahaha

Not quite.
It's more down the the power-hungry reference ARMv8 core that both Samsung and Qualcomm have decided to use in this year's SoCs. We see from the 1080p S5 to 1440p S5 that there was no difference in battery life, so I doubt the QHD screen is causing the slight drop in battery life from the S5 to S6.

Samsung should count their blessings that they were able to successfully get out 14nm finfet in time for them to use on the reference ARMv8 core, or they would have the same problems as the SD 810.
It's the M9, G4, Z4 and other flagships that use the 810 that I'm worried about. Current battery life numbers aren't looking too good.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Because the insider revealed that the only thing that changed from the pre-release software to the final software was removing the exclusion of the throttling in benchmarks and some camera tweaks.
Everything should stay the same.

Link to inside source or it didn't happen.

Posted via Android Central App

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
My position with the M9....

Iv got unlimited data with VZ so i upgrade my phones every year. I buy full retail 600.00 - 700.00 . keep for one year then sell on ebay 300.00-350.00 . for me the M9 just does not cut it as a major upgrade. I was hoping for a M9 plus which never happened or at the very least a different body style. so for now it was time to leave I sold my M8 and purchased a used note 4. I like the size. I'll continue to pull for HTC and hope to come back-

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
My position with the M9....

Iv got unlimited data with VZ so i upgrade my phones every year. I buy full retail 600.00 - 700.00 . keep for one year then sell on ebay 300.00-350.00 . for me the M9 just does not cut it as a major upgrade. I was hoping for a M9 plus which never happened or at the very least a different body style. so for now it was time to leave I sold my M8 and purchased a used note 4. I like the size. I'll continue to pull for HTC and hope to come back-

Im in a similar situation, I also upgrade every year and sell the previous model for a tidy sum :). The M9 is really growing on me from what I'm seeing after my initial downer from it not being the revolutionary design we saw leaked. I know its not a huge change from my current M8 but for me personally its 50% about having the latest and greatest flagship, that said nothing comes close in my eyes in terms of quality, originality and performance. I've got a pre-order waiting to arrive (31st UK) and could not be happier at the moment - Adam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34