Worth upgrading from M7 to M9?

sumner929

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I got the M7 on release day and love it. Zero problems, but as with anything that gets older, things begin to break down. Looking at the M9, is it more of the same as in just some better specs or (aside from the camera) will it be like having a different phone altogether? To me it looks like not much has changed. I don't want to shell out a lot of money for a newer version of what I have now like all the Apple faithful do every time a variant of the iPhone comes out. If it's worth it then I'll do it, but if it's just lipstick on a pig, then no thanks. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I have two M7s in the family from launch. I'd venture to say that as long as you've corrected the purple camera issue, they'll still do just fine if you don't need the latest and greatest. Front-facing speakers are nice; software is as smooth as ever with lollipop; the design still feels and looks amazing without a case; bright screen too.

As long as it has been treated well, it's probably just fine for another year or until another flagship comes along that catches your fancy.

TBoltJ

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I have two M7s in the family from launch. I'd venture to say that as long as you've corrected the purple camera issue, they'll still do just fine if you don't need the latest and greatest. Front-facing speakers are nice; software is as smooth as ever with lollipop; the design still feels and looks amazing without a case; bright screen too.

As long as it has been treated well, it's probably just fine for another year or until another flagship comes along that catches your fancy.

How did you correct the purple camera issue?

TimmE

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
I currently have an m7, Evo 3D before that. I like HTC. It bothers me that I'm not 100% sold on the m9. When the m7 came out I couldn't wait to pick it up. I got to Best Buy when they opened. Now, I'm reading reviews of the other phones due out soon. I don't know what I want to get.

Posted via the Android Central App

IMjBI

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
How did you correct the purple camera issue?

I had the purple/pink tint camera issue and I notified HTC over a year ago to get it fixed (under warranty). You have to send it in to HTC for repair (took about 5 days). You're better off upgrading now and moving on.

I'm still using my M7 as a daily with the only gripe being the battery life. I get about 7-9 hours per full charge with my usage style so I have to keep a lifeline with me. Otherwise I love the phone. I'd upgrade to the M9, but that camera...eeek, hope software can fix it before US launch.

DJ Nfinity

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I just spoke with an HTC online chat rep a couple days ago regarding this issue and he said HTC will fix it free of charge (excluding shipping it to HTC shipping). No arguing, arm twisting, etc., so I'm assuming they're doing it for everyone (Even the company's president said they do during the recent uh-oh stream). I'm going to wait to get the M9 (or S6. Haven't decided) before shipping my M7 to be repaired.

My M7 is a launch model (out of warranty).

rashad aljunied1

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
Purple tint will be done by HTC for free as it's a hardware defect. I have an m7 previouslyhtc desire from launch too and I still love it. Options are now, waiting if there will be a HTC m9 prime mid year, getting a cheaper m8 or flashing a Google play edition rom on the m7 while waiting for the M10

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
My M7 looks brand new. Just like the day I received it. I bought it in Oct 2013. It runs fast and has Kit Kat 4.4 on it. I won't be getting an M9 unless something happens to my M7. I just don't see the need to buy a new phone when my M7 looks and runs like the day I got it. My suggestion to the OP is if your M7 is good just wait. If the battery does go bad you could always get it fixed or upgrade at that time. Your M7 will probably last at least another year. And maybe the M10 will be out and will be a much better upgrade.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
And just to clarify, you guys aren't worried at all about battery life?

And it doesn't annoy you that there are better phones for battery life for the same price or less?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
My M7 looks brand new. Just like the day I received it. I bought it in Oct 2013. It runs fast and has Kit Kat 4.4 on it. I won't be getting an M9 unless something happens to my M7. I just don't see the need to buy a new phone when my M7 looks and runs like the day I got it. My suggestion to the OP is if your M7 is good just wait. If the battery does go bad you could always get it fixed or upgrade at that time. Your M7 will probably last at least another year. And maybe the M10 will be out and will be a much better upgrade.

Love my M7 but the battery life is awful. Off the charger at 7:00am and needed to be charged by 3:00pm. That's not cutting it anymore. I have no idea how any of you with M7's make it through the day on a charge. I will be getting a new phone for sure even though I love everything else about it.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
And just to clarify, you guys aren't worried at all about battery life?

And it doesn't annoy you that there are better phones for battery life for the same price or less?

I am for sure. I currently own the HTC One Max in addition to the power flip case, so yes I am absolutely concerned about the battery life figures I've seen this far. To go from what I can achieve now all the way down to what the M9 is capable of, is irrational. That is the only thing for me that's keeping me from pulling the trigger on the M9.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I am for sure. I currently own the HTC One Max in addition to the power flip case, so yes I am absolutely concerned about the battery life figures I've seen this far. To go from what I can achieve now all the way down to what the M9 is capable of, is irrational. That is the only thing for me that's keeping me from pulling the trigger on the M9.

I'm the same, it just needs to have better battery life than the M8

This graph breaks my heart

73007.png

For those complaining about M7 battery life, you can only expect an extra hour of web browsing since your M7 was new

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Love my M7 but the battery life is awful. Off the charger at 7:00am and needed to be charged by 3:00pm. That's not cutting it anymore. I have no idea how any of you with M7's make it through the day on a charge. I will be getting a new phone for sure even though I love everything else about it.

+1 , I have to charge m7 at least once in the day and at night. Battery & purple tint & overexposed photos are other annoyances. But I still consider the M7 the best phone ever made, although the s6 looks super solid.

Posted via Android Central App

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm the same, it just needs to have better battery life than the M8

This graph breaks my heart

View attachment 167994

For those complaining about M7 battery life, you can only expect an extra hour of web browsing since your M7 was new

I don't really know how accurate that is honestly though. I've got an iPhone 6 and seriously doubt it could go a full 11 hrs web browsing, even on WiFi.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I just don't understand how it has worse battery life??

HTC One M8:
- 5" 1080p screen
- 2,600mAh battery
- 28nm fab processor

HTC One M9:
- 5" 1080p screen
- 2,840mAh battery
- 20nm fab processor

How is the M9 even getting less battery life than the M8? On specs alone, it should be noticeably better.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't really know how accurate that is honestly though. I've got an iPhone 6 and seriously doubt it could go a full 11 hrs web browsing, even on WiFi.
absolute numbers will vary from person to person, relative performance are quite accurate.