A Dozen Former And Current HTC Executives Say HTC Is Failing Because The CEO Has An Abrasive Style And No Vision - Business Insider

Executives say HTC's failure to hit sales targets was at least partly down to Chou's management style. After hiring a slew of foreign executives, he fell short on promises to senior staff to foster a more open culture and cede sufficient authority. He openly berated managers and overrode their decisions, often with little discussion.

Such an atmosphere, executives said, damaged morale and left managers uncertain of their roles. Chou kept his sales, product, marketing and design executives separate and, in some cases, created parallel teams doing the same thing. He didn't hold meetings of executives of the different departments to iron out problems even as HTC's performance wilted. "There's a culture in HTC not to discuss numbers at senior management meetings," said one former executive. "Those discussions tend to become hard or ugly, but if you don't solve it, it becomes bigger."
    03-31-2015 03:51 PM
    I wouldn't expect such a thread from anyone other than yourself.

Forget the fact that the M7 and M8 were by far the best phones of the year and fantastic award winning devices and in my eyes the M9 will be aswell - Adam
    03-31-2015 04:15 PM
    From two thousand and 13 13 13

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-31-2015 04:47 PM
    I wouldn't expect such a thread from anyone other than yourself.

Forget the fact that the M7 and M8 were by far the best phones of the year and fantastic award winning devices and in my eyes the M9 will be aswell - Adam
    Dude don't ya know that HTC sucks and is incompetent? They had 5 years in a row to get the One series right and still couldn't do it. They will be out of business by November I promise. And just like the article said. 17 executives have left the company along with 8 of their best designers. That's why they need to be gone from the smartphone business. Had they done what Samsung did and included removable batteries and SD Card slots and a better camera and gotten rid of the black bar and not ever used Qualcomm chips in their devices and went with stock Android and ditched the Aluminum, they'd be in better shape and 30 something employees they lost would still be there not to mention they'd have record profits

James E1 likes this.
    03-31-2015 04:54 PM
    Dude don't ya know that HTC sucks and is incompetent? They had 5 years in a row to get the One series right and still couldn't do it. They will be out of business by November I promise. And just like the article said. 17 executives have left the company along with 8 of their best designers. That's why they need to be gone from the smartphone business. Had they done what Samsung did and included removable batteries and SD Card slots and a better camera and gotten rid of the black bar and not ever used Qualcomm chips in their devices and went with stock Android and ditched the Aluminum, they'd be in better shape and 30 something employees they lost would still be there not to mention they'd have record profits

As always, Adam misses the point of the article. The M9 looks like the different departments in HTC weren't talking to each other and someone at the top said not to change the design. Nobody sits around a desk only to crank out the same design 3 years in a row. A barrel of monkeys could do that. The same could be said in the case of the M7 or the M8 in that they weren't working together or maybe the M7 would have had great battery life and both phones would have included an awesome camera. If people in a company are afraid to speak up you get the M9. Once again Adam, you miss the big picture of the article...sorry.

Last but not least Adam, did those awards turn into profits and record sales for HTC? Investors care about profits, not awards. And I'm sure employees at HTC feel the same way or they are out of a job.

Article from 2013, basically predicting the M9:

Even if HTC survives beyond two more years, investors and customers will wonder if financial losses will require HTC to cut research and development budgets that could limit HTC's ability to build stylish new smartphones with features that are clearly distinct from a hoard of competitors.

http://www.computerworld.com/article...rs.html?page=2
    03-31-2015 05:42 PM

Oh you're cracking me up.
    Habiib likes this.
    03-31-2015 07:17 PM