I haven't owned an HTC phone since back in the days of the original Evo so this may be old news for many but I was very pleasantly surprised by this. It appears that everything that HTC adds to the m9 can be updated through apps in the Google Play Store. I bet that I got a dozen apps that had updates after I activated the phone. One in particular that stood out to me was something called HTC Service Pack. Also the camera is an app as well. This approach seems to offer a significant advantage over the s6 in my opinion.
    04-06-2015 07:07 AM
    I haven't owned an HTC phone since back in the days of the original Evo so this may be old news for many but I was very pleasantly surprised by this. It appears that everything that HTC adds to the m9 can be updated through apps in the Google Play Store. I bet that I got a dozen apps that had updates after I activated the phone. One in particular that stood out to me was something called HTC Service Pack. Also the camera is an app as well. This approach seems to offer a significant advantage over the s6 in my opinion.
    The problem is Lollipop 5.0 was really a beta release masquerading as a finished product. We won't see the bugs, performance and battery life issues worked out until 5.2 in the summer/fall most likely. I say this because as much as I like what HTC is doing, they are being hampered and impeded by Google's sloppiness on an OS level. That said, HTC and I think Motorola do these modular app updates and are wise to do so.
    04-06-2015 07:32 AM
    And the great news is... We don't have to wait for a carrier update to get these Apps and bug fixes updated !! HTC was way out front on this in the Android world.
    davidtm likes this.
    04-06-2015 08:58 AM
    And the great news is... We don't have to wait for a carrier update to get these Apps and bug fixes updated !! HTC was way out front on this in the Android world.
    Yes we do, if the bug origin is Google. That was my point.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-06-2015 09:53 AM
    Yes we do, if the bug origin is Google. That was my point.

Posted via the Android Central App
    My point was for the apps and app bugs. I have a developer model, so as soon as Google updates to 5.1 etc- I'll get it without waiting for a carrier OS updates.
    04-06-2015 02:59 PM
    My point was for the apps and app bugs. I have a developer model, so as soon as Google updates to 5.1 etc- I'll get it without waiting for a carrier OS updates.
    I see what your saying now...Too bad you are the last of the mohicans and there won't be anymore GPE phones.
    That70sGAdawg likes this.
    04-06-2015 04:06 PM
    That and not having to deal with carrier add-ons is why I ordered unlocked. I assume unlocked and dev editions will be on the same release schedule.
    04-07-2015 02:05 AM