Positive experience with the M9

artofdesign

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm no fanboy, but I feel the posts I'm seeing don't reflect the experience I've had with the M9, so I thought I'd share. (I got it one day shipping at the start of pre-order)

I had a galaxy, a M8, a LG G3, and now the M9.
I personally think the G3 is one of the best android phones available, but I wanted a smaller screen, so I was going to by the s6 or the M9.

Is the M9 very similar to the M8. Yes, no getting around that. If you're looking for a whole new phone/experience then you won't be happy.

But if you're truly interested in owning a great device all things considered, I do think it's in the convo for best phone available right now.

I've found it to be fast, great battery, great screen, and a pleasure to use.

Regarding the camera: I'm a regular guy, I don't pretend to be a professional photographer and use my phone as my tool for that...it take pics of my kids, etc. And for that I say it's great. I've especially enjoyed being able to change the light exposure on both the M8 and M9 by choosing a focus point by tap. All in all, it's completely fine for this normal guy. Not saying they shouldn't continue to improve it, but as it stands it does what I need.

Regarding "running hot", I haven't experienced anything abnormal in comparison to the last 6 android phones I've used. Meaning downloading a file while charging and watching YouTube does make the phone get warm, just like the others. But not doing several heavy usage things at once, no warming here. Regular usage has been fine...normal android experience.

Regarding the battery life: I feel, as with every other new phone I got, they figured out a way to get a little more life out of an increasing powerful phone. I'm fine with it. We live in America, if I don't make it through a day(rare), then there are charging options all around me. It's better, and certainly not any worse then my last 4 phones.

I really appreciate the form changes they made. The M8 was hard to hold, but this is better. The quality on the device, like the M8, is top of the class in my opinion. No one is designing a higher quality form factor. It's beautiful and solid.

I have complaints, like a lack of flexibility on home screen app grid, or the great idea to move the power button being overshadowed by it being to easily confused with the volume buttons. But none of these things ruin my experience. No phone I've had is flawless.

Finally, a company that will replace it for free if you damage it within the first year. That's incredible. Other companies should stand behind their products like that.

All in all I'm very happy.

Just my two cents. To each his own

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Glad to see a refreshing positive review for this 'guy'... The M9 just can't seem to be able to catch a break with reviewers lately.

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
What I like about your summary is that you are realistic. Most reviews are taking the fact that it is not a huge upgrade and just allowing that to be the main tone of the review. It's nice to hear someone acknowledge the flaws but also give a real user experience.

Posted via Android Central App

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I just received mine, but haven't even removed the plastic sleeve yet. I always plug in and charge to 100% (whether I need to or not, just force of nature). You're experience summarizes what I've been thinking this whole time. Thanks for posting, and I hope I have a similar experience as you with my new phone!

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I too was really glad to read the OP's review. I've had my pre-ordered M9 for about a week now and my experience is almost identical. I've owned the M7, One X+ and One X . I've also owned the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Currently have the LG G3.I've also owned Motorola and Nokia phones. Back to the M9. Yes it gets a little warm, but so do all the other phones. Yes, come late afternoon or evening, you may be looking for a charger, but so will you for any other smart phone if you use it at all. I applied the XDA tweaks for the camera and now it's just fine for my purposes too. If I need something better I can use my Panasonic Lumix LX7 that has a Leica f1.4 lens. No phone is perfect. Already new S6 Edge owners are complaining of scratched displays.
http://phandroid.com/2015/04/03/samsung-galaxy-s6-scratches-on-display-defect/
So, all-in-all, I'm quite happy with my M9 and certainly plan to keep it.