Camera Update on the way

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Great news for M9 owners. It's too bad that HTC had to get kicked in the wallet before they addressed it but in the end the consumer wins. Congrats M9 owners.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Great news for M9 owners. It's too bad that HTC had to get kicked in the wallet before they addressed it but in the end the consumer wins. Congrats M9 owners.

We don't know if this update changes anything. Let's wait and see. In the meantime the camera settings mentioned on the XDA forum work great.

Posted via the Android Central App

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

What wallet? The phone isn't even available for me to even test out yet. Most people who have it

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
OK, I tracked this down. Here's the deal:

This is an update to some U.S. models that bring them in line with the global software. In other words, it's what I had when I took pictures for our review. (Note the "About this review" section.) This update folks are writing about today isn't some magical fix for the camera that we didn't previously have. Period.

That said, if you get it and the camera is great for you, great! Enjoy!

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
What wallet? The phone isn't even available for me to even test out yet. Most people who have it

You would be crazy if you think that the camera reviews haven't cost HTC sales. Heck it was my next phone until the reviews rolled out.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
You would be crazy if you think that the camera reviews haven't cost HTC sales. Heck it was my next phone until the reviews rolled out.

Yep, they definitely cost them sales, but I'd bet the amount of sales they lost are far more insignificant than you think.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

I couldn't finish what I was writing but my point was there are no sales in my county yet because it hasn't even been released yet. Most of the sales so far have been pre-orders from diehards. The general population won't be cognizant of it until it is available on all the carriers in store. So yes, they've lost some message board guy sales but no the average Joe yet. I still have to wait until the 17th of April to even buy it or look at it. By then the camera could be "fixed" and the average Joe who isn't message board tech guy will be none the wiser.

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Yep, they definitely cost them sales, but I'd bet the amount of sales they lost are far more insignificant than you think.

I don't know how much but I do know that HTC is walking a fine line. HTC is a quality company. They care much more than a company like Samsung but the consumer is buying the product, not the company. I need a great camera in my phone so I went with the S6 but I planned on the HTC 9 until the reviews came out.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I've never owned an HTC, I'm up on my S4 and Nexus 4. I'm slightly more advanced than your average Joe but far behind a lot of guys on site like this one. I rely on your feedback and do my best to make the best decision possible based off the information available. At least in my case, these reviews concerning the camera cost HTC a sale, and unfortunately I'm sure I'm not alone. Now can they improve it through updates? Of course they can. But you only get 1 chance at launching a product and HTC blew it. The damage is already done.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
It may not be "some new magical update", but some reviewers are saying it's a "huge improvement". If this one doesn't fix it, then I'm sure they'll have another. I refuse to believe the phone and camera are garbage. I'll take Adam's side any day.
The Lumia 930 has the EXACT same sensor as the M9.
Lumia 930 camera compared to the HTC One M9 (pictures) - WMPoweruser
Therefore, it is a software issue, not a hardware issue. It can and will be fixed.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
It may not be "some new magical update", but some reviewers are saying it's a "huge improvement". If this one doesn't fix it, then I'm sure they'll have another.

There absolutely was an improvement, which is why I didn't use pictures from that earlier software in our review and instead only used pictures taken after the update to the release version, which is what the U.S. phones are getting now. This isn't some "new" update. It's just new to the U.S.

FWIW, the unlocked model I bought got this same update out of the box on Tuesday. I checked with HTC about it at the time and again confirmed that it was just to bring things all in line with the same release version.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
There absolutely was an improvement, which is why I didn't use pictures from that earlier software in our review and instead only used pictures taken after the update to the release version, which is what the U.S. phones are getting now. This isn't some "new" update. It's just new to the U.S.

FWIW, the unlocked model I bought got this same update out of the box on Tuesday. I checked with HTC about it at the time and again confirmed that it was just to bring things all in line with the same release version.

Mine also had a software update "out of the box" bringing it to version 1.32,502.9. We both got the same update I'm sure. The major camera update won't even be released by my carrier for another week. If next week's update is the one you think, then what was my "out of the box" update?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Mine also had a software update "out of the box" bringing it to version 1.32,502.9. We both got the same update I'm sure. The major camera update won't even be released by my carrier for another week. If next week's update is the one you think, then what was my "out of the box" update?

Mine is on 1.32.617.30. Not sure what the difference is though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiaara