HTC's VP of Design explains the M9

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what you mean but like I said you can install BlinkFeed on other phones. I know guys over at XDA that have it on their Nexus 6.

Posted via the Android Central App

Sorry for the late reply. To use Facebook or Twitter on Blinkfeed with the M9, Facebook and Twitter must be installed and logged in before the Blinkfeed plugins can work. Of you uninstall the apps they are gone from Blinkfeed too.

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I think most people would forgive the M8 and M9 being identical in appearance, if the M9 was more of an improvement beneath the surface. However, the disappointing out-of-the-box camera experience, the less than stellar processor and the unimpressive battery life have led many to ask, "How is this an upgrade?"

kertong

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that the problem with the camera is software. Why did they use some Toshiba sensor instead of a Sony sensor like everyone else?

keep in mind that same toshia sensor is used by Nokia in the Lumia 930 and that phone has been lauded for an excellent camera. The M9's is not nearly as good - I feel it is the software, not the hardware, limiting the full potential of the sensor. That's what I'm hoping, anyway :) Please Nokia, give HTC some help here, they desperately need it! haha.

edit: whoops, this was already mentioned. I will add though, I do love that they added the sapphire glass over the camera in the M9 - in the M8 the lens was *so* easy to scratch, and people had to use credit cards to remove the hazed-over coating! Hopefully this sapphire glass will last, time will tell I guess.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
keep in mind that same toshia sensor is used by Nokia in the Lumia 930 and that phone has been lauded for an excellent camera. The M9's is not nearly as good - I feel it is the software, not the hardware, limiting the full potential of the sensor. That's what I'm hoping, anyway :) Please Nokia, give HTC some help here, they desperately need it! haha.

edit: whoops, this was already mentioned. I will add though, I do love that they added the sapphire glass over the camera in the M9 - in the M8 the lens was *so* easy to scratch, and people had to use credit cards to remove the hazed-over coating! Hopefully this sapphire glass will last, time will tell I guess.

The Lumia also has OIS and a Carl Zeiss lens... both those help from a hardware standpoint.

kertong

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia also has OIS and a Carl Zeiss lens... both those help from a hardware standpoint.

this is true, but the high level of smudging we see (i.e the 'oil painting' effect), and digital noise, are generally attributed to the sensor and processing, right? the OIS just cuts down on motion blur when the shutter is open longer, and a cheap lens would show in the image as haze, blooming, purple fringing, CA, barrel distortion, etc, if I'm not mistaken. Yes, the OIS can help brighten low light images just a tad by allowing the shutter to stay open a smidge longer, but I think smudging and oil painting effects would still persist if the sensor or image processing algo's were bad.

I guess one way to test this theory is to set a manual iso/shutter speed on the htc one m9, and take a low light exposure while resting it somewhere solid to prevent motion shake. if the smudging still persists, i'd say OIS wouldn't have made much of a difference. i'll have to give this a try tonight. :)

Last edited:

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
this is true, but the high level of smudging we see (i.e the 'oil painting' effect), and digital noise, are generally attributed to the sensor and processing, right? the OIS just cuts down on motion blur when the shutter is open longer, and a cheap lens would show in the image as haze, blooming, purple fringing, CA, barrel distortion, etc, if I'm not mistaken. Yes, the OIS can help brighten low light images just a tad by allowing the shutter to stay open a smidge longer, but I think smudging and oil painting effects would still persist if the sensor or image processing algo's were bad.

I guess one way to test this theory is to set a manual iso/shutter speed on the htc one m9, and take a low light exposure while resting it somewhere solid to prevent motion shake. if the smudging still persists, i'd say OIS wouldn't have made much of a difference. i'll have to give this a try tonight. :)

Yeah I'm interested to know the results of your test. OIS and Carl Zeiss lens aside, I think the the M9 has a very capable sensor and that the software can be tweaked to make it a very good camera.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

I think once they allow RAW capture, we will also see how that are handling the post capture processing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish