HTC's VP of Design explains the M9

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
He is saying the camera module was the number priority. Could have fooled me. HTC isn't as iconic as Porshe. Tech needs to evolve much more than a car that could cost 10 times more old than when it was brand new. The overall tone is complacency. They better have new design language in the M10 and quit patting themselves on the back for the 2013 original One.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I don't necessarily agree. Changing th design for designs sake is the wrong way of doing things. Iteration, perfecting a good design is the way things work on almost every technology area in this world. Bold new designs come every 3-4 years. If HTC did change the design this year they would still sell as many devices as they currently do. HTC's problem is marketing perception and not the devices they make.
Having said that I would love to see an even better design. Who wouldn't? Is it though realistic to demand that every year?
The M9 might look extremely similar to the M8 but it feels different in the hand when you are using it.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
He is saying the camera module was the number priority. Could have fooled me. HTC isn't as iconic as Porshe. Tech needs to evolve much more than a car that could cost 10 times more old than when it was brand new. The overall tone is complacency. They better have new design language in the M10 and quit patting themselves on the back on the 2013 original One.

I love the design of my M8 and like the idea of an evolving design. (Also a Porsche owner...lol) If they released the same M-9 phone with a hands down, point and shoot, killer camera next year, called it a M-10, I would be more than happy.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I love the design of my M8 and like the idea of an evolving design. (Also a Porsche owner...lol) If they released the same M-9 phone with a hands down, point and shoot, killer camera next year, called it a M-10, I would be more than happy.

If you are going to be iteractive in design you better nail the shortcomings if the previous device which they have not. In some ways they have taken a step back as far as battery life and the screen. Now you are saying to wait until the M10 to get the camera right and keep the Dane design again? No, that's silly talk.

Last edited:

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't necessarily agree. Changing th design for designs sake is the wrong way of doing things. Iteration, perfecting a good design is the way things work on almost every technology area in this world. Bold new designs come every 3-4 years. If HTC did change the design this year they would still sell as many devices as they currently do. HTC's problem is marketing perception and not the devices they make.
Having said that I would love to see an even better design. Who wouldn't? Is it though realistic to demand that every year?
The M9 might look extremely similar to the M8 but it feels different in the hand when you are using it.

Their problem is definitely marketing. No doubt. I am actually ok with how the device looks. They just haven't improved in areas they should have. Especially since he says the camera was such a focus. I found that kind of humourous him emphasizing that as their focus.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree. If the camera was indeed their focus, then they should hire better software engineers to tweak the camera's software.
The M9's camera is good but its software should have been better.
I agree that they should have nailed it from the beginning, but at least they are still working on the camera.
To be honest, I find the pictures of the M9 good enough for me..
What's more important to me is the way the device makes me feel when I use it. When I use the M9 I am happy :)
I can't imagine using another Android device from a different manufacturer.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I agree. If the camera was indeed their focus, then they should hire better software engineers to tweak the camera's software.
The M9's camera is good but its software should have been better.
I agree that they should have nailed it from the beginning, but at least they are still working on the camera.
To be honest, I find the pictures of the M9 good enough for me..
What's more important to me is the way the device makes me feel when I use it. When I use the M9 I am happy :)
I can't imagine using another Android device from a different manufacturer.

Nevermind me. I have a love hate relationship with HTC right now. They are always so close but stumble, yet I find they still have the best user experience of any phone I use.

I was checking out the Nexus 6 and there are some subtle things I know will bug me over time. No notification light. No restart--only shut off. No double tap to wake. No grid recent apps. No close all recent apps. I could go on and on, but HTC does those little things in their software I take for granted now.

Last edited:

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
For me there are three things that I love in the M9 that make me stay with HTC and not consider anything else (maybe an iPhone but only because I am deep in the Apple ecosystem):
- The way the M9 feels in the hand. The curved back, the design, it's just amazing.
- Blinkfeed. I know others don't like it, but I love it. It gives me a quick glance of what's going on around the world. I haven't found anything better than Blinkfeed in Android and iOS.
- The BoomSound speakers. The main reason I use my device for lots of multimedia stuff. Watching videos and listening to music is an enjoyable experience. With my iPhone6 I never wanted to watch videos. I hate the sound of other smartphones.

I like the fact that HTC is focused in having a great user experience and that is the biggest differentiator for me .

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
For me there are three things that I love in the M9 that make me stay with HTC and not consider anything else (maybe an iPhone but only because I am deep in the Apple ecosystem):
- The way the M9 feels in the hand. The curved back, the design, it's just amazing.
- Blinkfeed. I know others don't like it, but I love it. It gives me a quick glance of what's going on around the world. I haven't found anything better than Blinkfeed in Android and iOS.
- The BoomSound speakers. The main reason I use my device for lots of multimedia stuff. Watching videos and listening to music is an enjoyable experience. With my iPhone6 I never wanted to watch videos. I hate the sound of other smartphones.

I like the fact that HTC is focused in having a great user experience and that is the biggest differentiator for me .

It's funny you mention Blinkfeed because I prefer it over Flipboard, Google News or anything else. It says a lot that I found a way to port it to any other android device in case I switch. That's how much I like and use it daily.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Samsung and Apple are the kings of interation. I have no idea what you are rambling on about. Their marketing sucks because people in general have no idea who HTC is when they see me with it. Tech heads do, but not the average consumer walking into a carrier. Their money spent with Robert Downey Jr. was flat out terrible. The phone isn't even in their commercials. Availablity is a much bigger issue with Sony than HTC.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Now we are summoning the ghost of Steve Jobs? Ok. I only agreed that their marketing is definitely an issue. I never said if was their only issue or even their biggest one. It is a glaring one though. Samsung and Apple simply outspend everyone by a magnitude the gravitational force of the Sun and suck all the air out of the room. HTC can't compete with that.

Even with the shakeup I don't think they have invested enough in human capital. Too many yes men and women and the ones that were not have made an exist stage left. I don't even think they can attract the best talent to be honest. They need to take what limited resources they have and use it wisely. I don't believe they have.

Last edited by a moderator:

escondido

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I don't think that the problem with the camera is software. Why did they use some Toshiba sensor instead of a Sony sensor like everyone else?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't think that the problem with the camera is software. Why did they use some Toshiba sensor instead of a Sony sensor like everyone else?

Let me take a stab at it. Everyone uses Sony sensors. Apple and Samsung had huge launches in the pipeline and maybe they didnt have the clout to procure enough for the M9 so they went for the cheapest one with the highest megapixels.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Let me take a stab at it. Everyone uses Sony sensors. Apple and Samsung had huge launches in the pipeline and maybe they didnt have the clout to procure enough for the M9 so they went for the cheapest one with the highest megapixels.

I definitely agree. I think HTC probably inked a good price for the Toshiba sensors. I just wonder how long of a deal they signed on for.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
If Blinkfeeds plugins could work on their own without the need for apps to be installed. I would love and use it. I refuse to put Facebook on my phone and I use Falcon as my Twitter client.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
If Blinkfeeds plugins could work on their own without the need for apps to be installed. I would love and use it. I refuse to put Facebook on my phone and I use Falcon as my Twitter client.

Not sure what you mean but like I said you can install BlinkFeed on other phones. I know guys over at XDA that have it on their Nexus 6.

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 930 uses the Toshiba sensor and takes better pictures. Yes OIS and Carl Zeiss optics make a big difference, but they wouldn't have used the Toshiba sensor in the, 930 if it was flawed. I guess we will see how much they can do with software updates. The first camera update supposedly is minimal. If they can't nail it soon, they'll probably just wait for the next model. My son's HTC Inspire takes better pictures. I sure hope they can figure it out.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

SharkyNY

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Was just about to mention the 930. But that just goes to show you how terrible the camera software is at the moment.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Interesting to know that 930 also uses Toshiba sensor, at least we know that it can do a good job. Yeah it will be interesting to see if they improve their software soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL