Bye Bye M9

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Sorry HTC but I have to say bye to the M9.To me the M9 is still the most beautiful device to launch to date but they failed on so many fronts with this iteration. These are the most prominent issues that led me to return:

Excessive heat - Not saying the m8 doesn't get warm but my experience with the m9 was poor. The m9 would constantly top 102 degrees especially when using the camera.
Poor lowlight camera - This has been said many times, but i'll say this again. The lowlight performance of the camera is HORRIBLE!! ( Even after recommended adjustments from XDA)
Poor Battery - The battery drain is significant. GSM Battery continued to give an average of 3.5 hours of screen on which is not up to standards.
Battery while taking pictures - I would literally drop 3 percent in battery life with just 8 pictures taken in a row and even more drain when in low light. Seems like the processor goes into overdrive when the camera is launched thus causing rapid battery drain.

Everything else about the device was beautiful. Design, Screen and UI was boss.
In the end I think im going to hold off on the newest flagships of 2015 and wait to see what others are offering. I owned an edge as well and didn't see a 800 dollar reason to keep it.
I know there's going to be plenty of the "my M9 doesn't do that crew" but these findings are facts and simply can't be disputed. I love HTC phones but this year's iteration is just not good.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Sorry HTC but I have to say bye to the M9.To me the M9 is still the most beautiful device to launch to date but they failed on so many fronts with this iteration. These are the most prominent issues that led me to return:

Excessive heat - Not saying the m8 doesn't get warm but my experience with the m9 was poor. The m9 would constantly top 102 degrees especially when using the camera.
Poor lowlight camera - This has been said many times, but i'll say this again. The lowlight performance of the camera is HORRIBLE!! ( Even after recommended adjustments from XDA)
Poor Battery - The battery drain is significant. GSM Battery continued to give an average of 3.5 hours of screen on which is not up to standards.
Battery while taking pictures - I would literally drop 3 percent in battery life with just 8 pictures taken in a row and even more drain when in low light. Seems like the processor goes into overdrive when the camera is launched thus causing rapid battery drain.

Everything else about the device was beautiful. Design, Screen and UI was boss.
In the end I think im going to hold off on the newest flagships of 2015 and wait to see what others are offering. I owned an edge as well and didn't see a 800 dollar reason to keep it.
I know there's going to be plenty of the "my M9 doesn't do that crew" but these findings are facts and simply can't be disputed. I love HTC phones but this year's iteration is just not good.

I am just curious if you noticed any differences after the U.S. software update in terms of picture quality and heat, which the update was supposed to address?

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for starting a whole new thread to tell us this, you should have started every issue with "this has been said many times".

I have no issues whatsoever with heat or battery, and I've taken some fantastic shots with the camera. My findings are also facts and simple can't be disputed.... - Adam

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I am just curious if you noticed any differences after the U.S. software update in terms of picture quality and heat, which the update was supposed to address?

The update didn't significantly improve the camera performance in lowlight situations. The heat issue was improved, however, it was still very noticeable. The snapdragon 810 seems to be a dud processor. HTC and LG should demand some type of compensation due to poor performance.

truthteller10

Banned
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Theres always going to be a few out of the bunch that never has a problem or doesn't experience what most are. I put you guys in the category of the same folks that would claim the Palm Pre would get 36 hours of battery life.
Thanks for starting a whole new thread to tell us this, you should have started every issue with "this has been said many times".

I have no issues whatsoever with heat or battery, and I've taken some fantastic shots with the camera. My findings are also facts and simple can't be disputed.... - Adam

Brian Low

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
My experience of the M9 is pretty similar to yours. My M9 gets noticeably hot doing the simplest of tasks, camera performance in low light is not good but tbh for me it gets the job done, and battery life is atrocious. Getting maybe only 2-3 hours OST when I take it off the charger at 100 but at least my standby time is decent. I'd also like to note that I do notice the phone stutter in certain cases and for some reason I'm always getting a notification that says its unable to establish a wireless connection. Somethings either wrong with the phone or sprint so idk, never had connection problems on my S3 or nexus 5.
Probably going to sell this M9 later in the year and buy something in later 2015. Nexus 5 is completely shot andy S3 can barely hold a charge so the M9 will have to do.

Posted via the Android Central App

ron561

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

Does HTC have you on their payroll?

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I agree is about battery life. It's worse than the M8's. Apart from that I cannot share your findings.
My M9 is working great. Battery life is ok to good, heat is only an issue when charging my device and the camera is working very well and produces nice pictures, even in lowlight. Just remember to cap the ISO.
I am extremely happy with my device.

jdunker26

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I agree is about battery life. It's worse than the M8's. Apart from that I cannot share your findings.
My M9 is working great. Battery life is ok to good, heat is only an issue when charging my device and the camera is working very well and produces nice pictures, even in lowlight. Just remember to cap the ISO.
I am extremely happy with my device.

Same here. The battery is actually a little better than my old M8.

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Same here. The battery is actually a little better than my old M8.

I've already posted my battery results. On par with the M8(if it were in its original state, custom rom and kernel are permitting an insane 6 hours SOT everyday)! I've been getting around 5 hours everyday on mine. I have no heat issues. At all. The camera, tweaking the settings and setting up the shot have gotten me some incredible outdoor and indoor shots. I find myself using the manual mode sometimes inside(my wife is a photographer and she has taught me a few things with shutter speed and such). Also, pending the camera update I'm supposed to be getting on Friday from the Deathstar(AT&T) should improve things from what I hear.

From my fingers to you on the M8, M9 or the Chromebook! :D

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Theres always going to be a few out of the bunch that never has a problem or doesn't experience what most are. I put you guys in the category of the same folks that would claim the Palm Pre would get 36 hours of battery life.

I also have no issues and I play games and a music junky

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
My experience of the M9 is pretty similar to yours. My M9 gets noticeably hot doing the simplest of tasks, camera performance in low light is not good but tbh for me it gets the job done, and battery life is atrocious. Getting maybe only 2-3 hours OST when I take it off the charger at 100 but at least my standby time is decent. I'd also like to note that I do notice the phone stutter in certain cases and for some reason I'm always getting a notification that says its unable to establish a wireless connection. Somethings either wrong with the phone or sprint so idk, never had connection problems on my S3 or nexus 5.
Probably going to sell this M9 later in the year and buy something in later 2015. Nexus 5 is completely shot andy S3 can barely hold a charge so the M9 will have to do.

I think that those are lollipop issues slight stutter cause both my n7 and n9 on lollipop had same problems also battery was bad on both

NEXUS_HTC_PS

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
You running any custom stuff on your M9 yet or plan to if at all? - Adam

As soon as I can gain S-Off, I will convert to a Dev Edition(OTAs straight from HTC, that's how I like it!). I probably won't look into custom roms for a while. The SkyDragon rom was abandoned. So, I think just like I did with the M8 for a long time, I will stay stock rooted for 8 or so months and let the development run rampant.

From my fingers to you on the M8, M9 or the Chromebook! :D

May 19, 2014
Visit site
My battery life is fine, I really don't have any issues.

It does get warm, but then again, so do most, if not all electronic devices.

Couldn't care less about the camera. As a matter of fact, I don't care at all.

trsbbs

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm enjoying the heck out of mine. No heat issues.
To each their own and this M9 is mine.

Posted via my HTC One M9 via Verizon...

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Mine gets warm too but nothing I haven't noticed before on other phones. I got my update already and for some reason I noticed yesterday I woke up around 11am and when I left work at 11pm I had 32% battery left. Usually I have to charge once at work. I don't do much on phone since working but my signal sucks in the basement at the hospital and I immediately turn off mobile data and connect to my works wifi but it isn't the best neither and alwaysloses connection and i have to reconnect. But I kind of think the update helped battery a bit too I could be wrong. I'll see how I do today I am off all day and will be home all day so I'll test it out no need to charge it at home. I'm fine with the camera too. I love this phone!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Does HTC have you on their payroll?

I was gonna say the same thing
Adam, almost all your posts is boasting HTC on every level
HTC must be sponsoring you on something man

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

It's got to the stage where I just skip Adam's posts.

Even HTC themselves will admit they've made more mistakes than Adam would.

The incessant excuse making for HTC in every topic posted on each thread could be regarded as far as a mental illness.

Adam_ation

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

It's got to the stage where I just skip Adam's posts.

I'm not going to bash on something that I know is a fantastic well made device that suits my needs perfectly am I.

I honestly have no issues at all with battery life, I see no difference compared to my M8. This makes me care even less about any overheating issues which I personally haven't come across, the hottest it ever got was during initial setup and still then I would have happily sat it on my naked crotch.

The screen is pretty much exactly the same not for better or worse. I would have liked to see a size increase but it's no biggie.

The camera is an improvement over the M8 so nothing to complain about there. I will welcome any updates to further improve it but at this stage I'm happy.

The Boomsound is Boomsound, enough said.

The build quality is second to none and again an improvement over the M8 however I was completely in love with the evleaks render and was gutted when it didn't come to fruition.

Now explain to me how any of the above comments are unrealistic or worthy of HTC sponsor material - Adam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci