So walked into Best Buy looking to purchase a Verizon M9, and was told a big fat no. Its rare for me to be buying a full priced phone, but I just wanted something new and I had a bunch if rewards points.

It was my Best Buy's "new store policy" they said. Two other people looking for older phones were turned away as well.

Is this a new thing? I have been living from my work desk the last 2 years, so when did this happen?

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-14-2015 05:25 PM
    that is not normal I work at Best Buy and there is no such policy. We are more than willing to sell you a phone at full price . they are just doing that so my question is do you which Best Buy are you going to. what city and state. also I would try going to the best buy. at my store will more than willing to sell you a phone at full price.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-14-2015 05:58 PM
    If anything I would expect it's the other way around. They make money based on selling contracts, and even if you play full price it's still a Verizon phone with the ugly logo. So I don't see why they insist you to buy for full price, if it was the other way around it's a different story.
    04-14-2015 06:08 PM
    I live in the Brownsville Texas area and it was the Brownsville Texas Best Buy. Are there different policies for each store? I had cash in my hand, so I'm confused why they didn't want to sell me an M9. An older couple behind got turned down for a full price Sprint S6.

04-14-2015 06:38 PM
    No all the store policies are the same they should not be nice telling you a full price phone.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-14-2015 09:16 PM
    Ask to speak to the store manager. If you still get turned down, note the manager's name and write to Best Buy corporate headquarters, to the CEO, asking why that one store won't sell the phones outright when other stores will. You should get an answer within a reasonable time - either explaining why they won't sell it to you or telling you to bring the letter to the store manager (and directing him to sell you the phone).

Large corporations don't like maverick store managers, so if it's the policy of just that one store, I'm guessing the chain of command at that store will be changed after your letter.
    pheatton likes this.
    04-14-2015 09:39 PM
    Thanks Rubkat, I think I'll do that.

04-15-2015 12:22 AM
    I haven't set foot in a Best Buy store in years. When they did away with mail in rebates they jacked up their prices too much. That and stupid policies like the OP mentions. Where I live there are much better places to shop than Best Buy. If I were the OP I would take my hard earned money somewhere else.
    04-15-2015 04:00 PM
    As others have said I would write corporate -- some stores have "rogue" managers that make up stuff. One time when I was with Sprint I was told that Sprint doesn't "allow you to buy full price" ... It was just that store of course as we know this isn't true.
    04-15-2015 04:04 PM
    Where I live there are much better places to shop than Best Buy.
    I wish I had that option. I used to deal with the corporate manager at CompUSA. Nice guy, knew what he was selling and had the authority to tell the store manager to sit on it. Not that I was looking for anything I shouldn't have gotten, but when I was told that they couldn't sell me a camera on a Sunday "because the camera guy doesn't work on Sundays", he had a "little talk" with the store manager.

No more. Now I have Best Buy, K-Mart, the carrier's stores (and the Sprint store is an indie, with people who know as much about cellphones as my wife's cat does) ... and a "cellphone shop" run out of some guy's garage.
    04-15-2015 06:45 PM