Has anyone set up their M9 with full device encryption? My company requires it if we want to use Google apps to access our corporate gmail, calendar, Hangouts, etc. My M7 is painfully slow encrypted, and I really don't want to have to endure this level of slugishness on my next phone.
    04-16-2015 06:10 PM
    Decryption (an encrypted app can't run, it has to be decrypted first - so does encrypted data) takes time. The better the encryption, the more time it takes. If it were me, I wouldn't bother. If I can't get to my corporate stuff in the time they like, let them buy me a phone that they can encrypt that I can use for corporate stuff, but let me keep my unencrypted phone for my private use. (That's why a phone with multiple boot is a good idea - boot the corporate OS and it's encrypted, boot your private OS and it's not. It can be the same version of Android, set up the same way. SafeStrap, written for all Android phones, would be the ideal "corporate safety net".)
    04-16-2015 06:17 PM
    Decryption (an encrypted app can't run, it has to be decrypted first - so does encrypted data) takes time. The better the encryption, the more time it takes. If it were me, I wouldn't bother. If I can't get to my corporate stuff in the time they like, let them buy me a phone that they can encrypt that I can use for corporate stuff, but let me keep my unencrypted phone for my private use. (That's why a phone with multiple boot is a good idea - boot the corporate OS and it's encrypted, boot your private OS and it's not. It can be the same version of Android, set up the same way. SafeStrap, written for all Android phones, would be the ideal "corporate safety net".)
    I'm seriously considering the Nexus 6, just because we actually know what the performance is like with FDE enabled. People have verified that it's quicker with it disabled, but at least it's usable when it's enabled. I'd be real curious to know how phones like the M8, M9 and S6 perform with FDE enabled.
    04-17-2015 10:28 AM
    I'm finding androids poor encryption a disappointment. Came from a Blackberry Z10. You can encrypt the phone and un-decrypt it no problem.
    No real loss in performance either.

Hope they catch up someday.

Posted with my HTC One M9 via Verizon...
    04-17-2015 10:16 PM