Anyone gone from an S6/S6 edge to an M9?

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
What about the M9 getting hot? is it only while heavy gaming with 3D games or it's with any app or usage?
I hear but bad things about the M9, not only camera:
-Battery is weak (S6 is not that good either)
-It gets hot (never experienced the S6 hot unless on Quick charger)
-Camera is not good unless you take RAW and edit them
-Screen is lottery, it can be brighter or dimmer than M8! (S6 has lottery too with pink tint)

1. I have had as much as 7 hrs of sot at 70% brightness for 75% of battery use and 35% brightness for the last 25%. Battery is fine.
2. The CPU on the S6 actually gets way hotter than the CPU on the M9. The CPU on the S6 well go to 66 c in just five minutes of using the camera. The M9 will reach 58 c max in heavy gaming.
3. This may be true at the moment but the sensor is a good sensor and the software needs some work.
4. The screen is fine on the M9. It does take a few weeks for it to reach its full capability in brightness. Was in best buy yesterday and all the S6/ ebge models already had bad screen burn in. That is bad for such a short time since release. The S6 has a nice screen but I just don't like amoled displays. The display on the M9 is better than the M8.

Posted via the Android Central App

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
1. I have had as much as 7 hrs of sot at 70% brightness for 75% of battery use and 35% brightness for the last 25%. Battery is fine.
2. The CPU on the S6 actually gets way hotter than the CPU on the M9. The CPU on the S6 well go to 66 c in just five minutes of using the camera. The M9 will reach 58 c max in heavy gaming.
3. This may be true at the moment but the sensor is a good sensor and the software needs some work.
4. The screen is fine on the M9. It does take a few weeks for it to reach its full capability in brightness. Was in best buy yesterday and all the S6/ ebge models already had bad screen burn in. That is bad for such a short time since release. The S6 has a nice screen but I just don't like amoled displays. The display on the M9 is better than the M8.

I made the jump!
The M9 in grey is stunning, the S6 feels cheap.
The only things are that it gets a little warm at the back if I use it more than 15mn but nothing bad. The camera indoors is a joke, my old SE 905 could do better, outdoor though with RAW I can get near S6's quality.
I hope HTC can do something for HDR photos, the sky is overexposed if I try to highligh shadows + it's slow to save the photo, the S6 is years ahead here.
For all the rest the M9 is superior (audio,quality feeling,Sense,UI speed...)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I made the jump!
The M9 in grey is stunning, the S6 feels cheap.
The only things are that it gets a little warm at the back if I use it more than 15mn but nothing bad. The camera indoors is a joke, my old SE 905 could do better, outdoor though with RAW I can get near S6's quality.
I hope HTC can do something for HDR photos, the sky is overexposed if I try to highligh shadows + it's slow to save the photo, the S6 is years ahead here.
For all the rest the M9 is superior (audio,quality feeling,Sense,UI speed...)
Wow! The camera is what is holding me back. Glad to see you like the device, though. I'm just not sure I can get on board with that camera. With a busy and quick 2 year old, the S6 is perfect for capturing those moments. Plus I love the wireless charging.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow! The camera is what is holding me back. Glad to see you like the device, though. I'm just not sure I can get on board with that camera. With a busy and quick 2 year old, the S6 is perfect for capturing those moments. Plus I love the wireless charging.

The camera on M9 does fine. I have an active 2 year old as well and have no problem getting great pics at ad hoc times. I'm not sure about the indoor complaint unless the comment was talking about low light situations or on a dark night. The shots that I have taken in those situations are a little rough but I use photoshop express and/or aviary to clean up the photos and they look great. Even comparable to other phones with better cameras.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The camera on M9 does fine. I have an active 2 year old as well and have no problem getting great pics at ad hoc times. I'm not sure about the indoor complaint unless the comment was talking about low light situations or on a dark night. The shots that I have taken in those situations are a little rough but I use photoshop express and/or aviary to clean up the photos and they look great. Even comparable to other phones with better cameras.
Now you're making me really think about this! Would you be willing to share some of those pictures? I completely understand if you don't want to, but I'd love to see some examples.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Now you're making me really think about this! Would you be willing to share some of those pictures? I completely understand if you don't want to, but I'd love to see some examples.

I'm not really comfortable putting pics of my kiddo and wife on here but below are a few low light indoor pics of our new hardwood floors and an outdoor low light pic as a storm was rolling in.

As a note, I used photoshop express auto enhance to touch up the pics. I normally go a little beyond the auto enhance to add different effects using photoshop express or advisory. The fact that a simple auto enhancement was able to correct the photos so well (essentially what I actually saw when I took the pic) I believe that a software and/or firmware update could allow this quality to be achieved when the photo is first taken. I don't have any late night outside pics.

Also, all the pics below have been projected on a 90" screen using an hd projector in the conference rooms at my office to show some co workers. There was a little noise in the indoor pics but overall they looked fine at that size.

Attachments

• 1431802828884.jpg
    1431802828884.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 45
  • 1431802872630.jpg
    1431802872630.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 1431802926630.jpg
    1431802926630.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 1431802948690.jpg
    1431802948690.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 1431803000900.jpg
    1431803000900.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 1431803036490.jpg
    1431803036490.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 44

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm not really comfortable putting pics of my kiddo and wife on here but below are a few low light indoor pics of our new hardwood floors and an outdoor low light pic as a storm was rolling in.

As a note, I used photoshop express auto enhance to touch up the pics. I normally go a little beyond the auto enhance to add different effects using photoshop express or advisory. The fact that a simple auto enhancement was able to correct the photos so well (essentially what I actually saw when I took the pic) I believe that a software and/or firmware update could allow this quality to be achieved when the photo is first taken. I don't have any late night outside pics.

Also, all the pics below have been projected on a 90" screen using an hd projector in the conference rooms at my office to show some co workers. There was a little noise in the indoor pics but overall they looked fine at that size.
Yeah, I completely understand that. I'm not a huge fan of displaying my family on websites like this either. Those definitely don't look too bad. I'm really intrigued by this phone, but a couple things are still holding me back.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site

Even 58C is way too high for any phone. I can't imagine any phone wouldn't give an overheating message and shut down.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Even 58C is way too high for any phone. I can't imagine any phone wouldn't give an overheating message and shut down.

This is cpu and they run a little hotter. In most cases we never know what that temp is. I am just showing that the SD810 runs cooler than the Exynos.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Finally swapped my S6 with M9.
Well I am very happy with the M9.
Out of the box the camera is crappy but once you install RAW and tweak manual controls you get the same results as S6 in daylight and good to very good low light photos.
Sound quality is amazing but you need a little push up in the volume thanks to root.
Screen is pretty good, better than M8, perhaps not as vivid as S6 but the S6 had some pink tint and rainbow reflections.
Wait for my M9 review :)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Finally swapped my S6 with M9.
Well I am very happy with the M9.
Out of the box the camera is crappy but once you install RAW and tweak manual controls you get the same results as S6 in daylight and good to very good low light photos.
Sound quality is amazing but you need a little push up in the volume thanks to root.
Screen is pretty good, better than M8, perhaps not as vivid as S6 but the S6 had some pink tint and rainbow reflections.
Wait for my M9 review :)
Man, I ordered an S6 and it came with some weird bubbles you could see under the screen. I want to like that phone but it has some issues. Now your post has me wanting to order the M9 and save a couple hundred bones.

I'm on a Nexus 6 right now and I like the camera, but it's slow to open and snap a picture. Which is tough with a 2 year old. That's why I was really leaning towards the S6. But this is the second one I've had and both have had issues.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
There is an interesting update coming to M9 fixing camera and overall phone's speed!
I did the right choice in takign the M9 :)

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
It just got released in Taiwan. Here is what someone who has it wrote about the update.

"I have already update to 1.40.709.4.
The Result is.*
1. SUPER SPEED Sense UI. now improve significant speed.*
2. Fokus now fastest. Makro fokus is easy from before. (before update, Makro is BAD focus on M9)
3. Camera Color more Vivid."

It was a long weekend this weekend where I live and I was out with the family and took a lot of pictures and videos. To be honest, this camera takes some great pictures. That said, chasing around a toddler shooting video without OIS is going to be the Scarlett Letter for this phone. It is so bad. If I am stationary or just moving my arms its fine but as soon as I start walking its like I'm filming Blairwitch Project. The exposure is all over the place as well. Camera FV-5 is better in that regard but I'm not confident the video quality is going to get better with the native app and its a real shame because I have confidence the battery life will be sorted out.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
...That said, chasing around a toddler shooting video without OIS is going to be the Scarlett Letter for this phone. It is so bad. If I am stationary or just moving my arms its fine but as soon as I start walking its like I'm filming Blairwitch Project. The exposure is all over the place as well. Camera FV-5 is better in that regard but I'm not confident the video quality is going to get better with the native app...

This is what worries me. I love everything about the phone, aside from the camera. It's the only camera I always have with me and what I use to capture moments with my 2 year old daughter. I want something I can rely on... And I'm not sure the M9 is that phone.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
This is what worries me. I love everything about the phone, aside from the camera. It's the only camera I always have with me and what I use to capture moments with my 2 year old daughter. I want something I can rely on... And I'm not sure the M9 is that phone.

Like I said, still shots in daylight are really great. There are little things that I am confident HTC with address to make it even better. I am not worried as much about low light pictures as my kiddo goes to bed before dark so that's not even an issue for this example. However, that video on the M9 though. Damn. SMH. I knew going in but it still is disappointing. The only glaring hole in this device from day to day use, well battery life, but that will get better with Lollipop 5.1.1. That said, the S6 has it's own issues and their issues would interfere with me using that phone the other 98% of the time I am not shooting videos so no phone is perfect. I said this before, but I am not 100% impressed with any phone out so far this year.

Last edited:

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
It just got released in Taiwan. Here is what someone who has it wrote about the update.

"I have already update to 1.40.709.4.
The Result is.*
1. SUPER SPEED Sense UI. now improve significant speed.*
2. Fokus now fastest. Makro fokus is easy from before. (before update, Makro is BAD focus on M9)
3. Camera Color more Vivid."

I haven't heard about this update yet. Where'd you read about it?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11