No data while on phone?

n8nagel

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
A little disappointed... Waze seems to lose connection if I'm on the phone (hands free of course.). Is this because I have an iffy signal because I Don't have a car kit & then by necessity the phone has to sit down low in the ashtray, or is this how it really works? Haven't had this issue since I ditched my first smart phone which was an OG Evo (and I disliked a lot about that phone and had much better luck with the string of Motorola phones that succeeded it.). Am I going to regret not just switching carriers so I could get another Motorola?

n8nagel

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
re:

Sprint. But I've been with them for ages, and have had data while talking for ~5 years now? Am hoping this is just because of poor reception due to not being in windshield...

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
re:

You've been with them for a while, but they can still do things like upgrade local towers (which can cause temporary issues during the upgrade process)--or maybe one of your towers is down.

cmurgia

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
re:

It's because of Sprint Spark. Unless you're on Wi-Fi, you will lose data while on a call.

Posted via the Android Central App

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that simultaneous voice and data has ever been possible on CDMA networks (Sprint & Verizon) without being on Wi-Fi

Sent from Tapatalk on either my HTC One M9 or Tab4 10.1, it kinda depends

Jason_A

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't think that simultaneous voice and data has ever been possible on CDMA networks (Sprint & Verizon) without being on Wi-Fi

Some of the older phones had dual modems, so you could have simultaneous voice and data. With the new VoLTE services, you're able to do it on newer phones and on networks that have it enabled.

n8nagel

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site

Both my Motorola Photon and Photon Q could do it, I've been happily doing it since 2011ish and assumed that this was a common capability, didn't even ask...

wildclip

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Both my Motorola Photon and Photon Q could do it, I've been happily doing it since 2011ish and assumed that this was a common capability, didn't even ask...

I think it's due to the Sprint network and the single radio being used now. I know they were rolling out an update to their cell towers to make the hand off work better, but I don't think it's been completed. One of the many reasons I left Sprint.

dasaucemasta

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from the droid dna which I was always able to use phone and internet at the same time. Now, when I'm on the phone and try to say refresh my email I actually get a message stating I can't use the internet while on the phone. Seems ridiculous to me. I'm on Verizon.

davidtm

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I remember reading that newer phones have a single radio, in anticipation of widespread VoLTE which will allow simultaneous voice and data.

wildclip

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Sprint is slow to the volte stuff, that with a single radio means you can't surf and talk with them

rsdroid

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from the droid dna which I was always able to use phone and internet at the same time. Now, when I'm on the phone and try to say refresh my email I actually get a message stating I can't use the internet while on the phone. Seems ridiculous to me. I'm on Verizon.

I upgraded from the DNA as well. I don't know if this is true on other networks, but on Verizon, simultaneous data and voice calls work, but you have to enable it. Go to Settings, Advanced Calling and enable the Advanced Calling and you'll have it working. No extra charge. Not sure why this is not the default setting, but it does work on the Verizon M9.

n8nagel

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded from the DNA as well. I don't know if this is true on other networks, but on Verizon, simultaneous data and voice calls work, but you have to enable it. Go to Settings, Advanced Calling and enable the Advanced Calling and you'll have it working. No extra charge. Not sure why this is not the default setting, but it does work on the Verizon M9.

Advanced Calling is in the top menu under Settings? I don't appear to have that option on Sprint.

mfreeland

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Can't do it on Sprint yet. Verizon just started. The old phones, including my HTC Evo 3G Lte had multiple radios so you could do both. Phones now have a single radio in anticipation of voice over LTE protocol. It will roll out eventually for all carriers, then the newer phones (M8, M9....) will have have the capability again......