Hey there, everyone,

I don't upgrade phones very often, so it's not like I have all that much experience in this area. I'm coming from a Droid DNA which has died due to an exploding battery, so while many reviewers seem to be decrying HTC's lack of imagination in re-designing the M9, I'm quite happy with it since I never even had an M7. (I'll admit that the DNA still looks pretty damn good, though. I'd still be using it if the battery didn't die.)

In any case, I've been reading around about the various little issues people have, and one thing I came across was people saying to reset the phone to factory state for some reason. Can anyone explain this? As of now I have just returned from the store after having activated the phone, and while I believe I can make calls with it and everything, it's currently not even hooked up to my Google account yet. Would hitting the factory restore do anything, or am I already in a clean state?

The interface has also changed quite a bit, so it will take some time to get used to and figure out where all the settings are again, but are there any particular settings that I should know to toggle (on or off) that might be hidden somewhere, or otherwise tricky to find? My main priority is probably anything that might help with battery life.

I'm sure I may have some more when I come across them, but for now I'd just like to know about this reset thing I've read about.

Otherwise it'll be the laborious process of setting everything up again...

Thanks!
    04-23-2015 06:12 PM
    Hey there, everyone,

I don't upgrade phones very often, so it's not like I have all that much experience in this area. I'm coming from a Droid DNA which has died due to an exploding battery, so while many reviewers seem to be decrying HTC's lack of imagination in re-designing the M9, I'm quite happy with it since I never even had an M7. (I'll admit that the DNA still looks pretty damn good, though. I'd still be using it if the battery didn't die.)

In any case, I've been reading around about the various little issues people have, and one thing I came across was people saying to reset the phone to factory state for some reason. Can anyone explain this? As of now I have just returned from the store after having activated the phone, and while I believe I can make calls with it and everything, it's currently not even hooked up to my Google account yet. Would hitting the factory restore do anything, or am I already in a clean state?

The interface has also changed quite a bit, so it will take some time to get used to and figure out where all the settings are again, but are there any particular settings that I should know to toggle (on or off) that might be hidden somewhere, or otherwise tricky to find? My main priority is probably anything that might help with battery life.

I'm sure I may have some more when I come across them, but for now I'd just like to know about this reset thing I've read about.

Otherwise it'll be the laborious process of setting everything up again...

Thanks!
    I personally didn't restore mine when I updated the system apps, and didn't have any problems. Once you connect it to your google acct and sign into Play there will probably be a decent amt of updates to perform. Again, I didn't have any problems when I updated these. As far as settings to toggle off, the only one I did right away is under the advanced wi-fi settings. I turned scanning always available off. I also made sure wi-fi optimization is on. There are some auto update settings in the Play Store as well. I checked to only auto update over wi-fi when plugged in. That way the only time apps will update is when connected to wi-fi and a power source. That will help with battery as well as data usage.
    04-23-2015 06:24 PM
    I also always turn NFC and BT off. Not sure if they use much battery or not, but at least it's 2 fewer things in the top notification bar.
    04-23-2015 06:28 PM
    Thanks, I'll take a look at those settings.

I'll probably disable WiFi entirely, since I still have my unlimited data plan. That way it won't have to try to scan for all the networks regardless.

I also went ahead with the Factory Reset, since I figure it can't hurt anything considering there's nothing set up on it yet.
    04-23-2015 07:10 PM
    I don't know about other carriers, but on Verizon, activate advanced calling so that you can use 4G while making phone calls.
    04-23-2015 07:19 PM
    I am indeed on Verizon, although is there any additional charge for that?

I ask because it says here to "Upgrade service to HD Voice and Video calling" and, well, anything with the word "upgrade" relating to Verizon to me sounds like it's just more money.
    04-23-2015 07:58 PM
    I am indeed on Verizon, although is there any additional charge for that?

I ask because it says here to "Upgrade service to HD Voice and Video calling" and, well, anything with the word "upgrade" relating to Verizon to me sounds like it's just more money.
    No charge, it even says $0 when you click on it.
    04-23-2015 08:18 PM
    Hmmm, okay, thanks; I'll look into it.

Just doing some other setup and testing random things right now. Having never had an M7 nor M8, these speakers are amazing for a phone. Actual speakers still wipe the floor with it, of course, but man it sounds so good compared to any other "phone" speaker I've heard so far.
    04-23-2015 08:37 PM