Dot Case Hinge Worn/ broken after 4 weeks

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Loving my new M9. Also loving the functionality of the Dot Case... BUT the hinge has worn out, presumably from folding it back under the phone when using in portrait orientation. After less than a month the front flap is literally hanging off where there has been a tear, increasing in length from weakening the rubber each time the hinge is bent.

CPW are sending me a replacement to arrive tomorrow so no issues there. But I'm worried the same thing will happen again.

Am I being foolish - are you not meant to fold it back while you type/ use the phone?

Posted via the Android Central App

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Loving my new M9. Also loving the functionality of the Dot Case... BUT the hinge has worn out, presumably from folding it back under the phone when using in portrait orientation. After less than a month the front flap is literally hanging off where there has been a tear, increasing in length from weakening the rubber each time the hinge is bent.

CPW are sending me a replacement to arrive tomorrow so no issues there. But I'm worried the same thing will happen again.

Am I being foolish - are you not meant to fold it back while you type/ use the phone?

Do you have the Ice or the Premium?

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
The premium.

I've not heard of that before. I don't know what other way you would use it other than folding it back as you have. Glad they're sending you a new one though. I thought about ordering one, but haven't yet. Please let us know if the replacement does it as well. Did you contact HTC directly as well as the place you bought it from?

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I agree it would seem pointless to use it any other way. You would have to hold the phone and case like an open book which would really limit what you'd be capable of.
Hopefully just a faulty case, but I do wonder how it could be made stronger in that material. I've been very careful as you would expect with a brand new flagship phone and case.
I'll definitely keep you updated with the new one, but am also looking at alternatives in the event that it happens again.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Btw yes I did contact HTC as well:

Thank you for contacting*HTC.*

My name is Cameron I am a technical support agent for the*HTC*written team.*

I'm sorry to hear your case has become defective.

The warranty for any*HTC*Accessories lies with the retailer they were purchased through as only the inbox accessories come under the phones manufacturing warranty.

If you contact your retailer you should be able to get it replaced with them.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm noticing the same thing on my ICE version. It mostly came from taking the phone in and out of the case. However I don't think this is avoidable due to the stress that's placed on the seams where it's bonded to plastic.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
I only took the phone out of the case once in the whole 4 weeks so the tear in mine was definitely solely from bending the flap round the back and hence weakening of the hinge. As you say, flex rubber bonded to hard plastic rear.

If they are all like this, it's absolutely ridiculous as the life span with average use would be 4 weeks for a premium branded case.

sonnnet

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
OK, I have my new replacement ICE Premium dot case.
I've decided not to bend the flap back.
I can hold the phone with the flap open in my left hand and interact with the screen with my right hand.
On the occasions I need the flap to be out of the way - eg gaming - the phone will have to come out of the case.
A loss of functionality but I can't see it working any other way.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
On mine I can see it starting to detach some at the top edge. I've noticed that folding it back makes the separation seem more pronounced. I'll keep an eye on it and see if how fast the seam degrades over time.

patchs

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm still waiting on my Dot View II from the Shop Android store (another 2 weeks) and will keep this in mind. Thanks.

Barnaby Taylor

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I've had the same issue - I'm on my second case after O2 replaced the first for me and this one's just torn, too.

When I went into the O2 shop, the salesman told me that he hadn't heard of the issue before, but after a quick search it seems to be a pretty common problem with the M9. Big shame, as the features that the case brings are great.

My best guess is that the natural hinge just isn't durable enough. It's really frustrating that such an expensive case would only last a few weeks like this. HTC need to redesign the case and test it properly, because it's not good enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member