M8 and M9 differences (user experiences)?

maarescal

May 16, 2014
Visit site
How many of you had the m8 and switched over the m9? Is there anything different from it and how do u like it so far?

Posted via the Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: difference?

How many of you had the m8 and switched over the m9? Is there anything different from it and how do u like it so far?

Are you considering the M9? You might want to read through this blog post until someone comes in and shares their thoughts/experiences with the two devices: HTC One M9: A second opinion | Android Central

It's got a lot of good information and should help you with the decision.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

I had both, but only kept the M8 for 2 weeks. I didn't return the M8 because I didn't like it though. Just wasn't ready at the time to switch from iOS quite yet. I prefer the M9 all around. For me, and this will be subjective, I find the M9 to be more comfortable and easier to hold than the M8. I also prefer the aesthetics of the M9 better. I have the Gunmetal version, and I like that it's a little darker and the shinier black sides give it a nice touch. I really like that they split volume into 2 separate buttons instead of a rocker. It feels more solidly built. The M8's rocker felt cheap to me on an otherwise well built phone. Having the power button on the side is an advantage in my opinion as well.

The cameras are not bad on either device, but very different. The M8 kind of shines in low light which is the M9's weakness. The M9 takes way better day/well-lit indoor photos. The interface is very similar on the 2 versions of Sense. I do kind of miss a couple of the duo focus camera features, but as a day to day camera the M9 works for my needs.

Both phones have BoomSound, but the M9 has Dolby software applied to it. The result is the M9 is not quite as loud as the M8, but a better overall sound. The addition of Theater Mode for movies/videos is really nice.

When it comes to the software experience the M9 is better as well for me. Lollipop (other than a few bugs) is much better than KitKat. Just remember though, the M8 now has Lollipop as well. The M9 comes with Sense 7 while the M8 is still on 6. The M8 is reported to be updated this summer, but I'm not sure when. The M9 is the first phone to sway me away from iOS, and I've used it since 2008 when it was still called iPhone OS.

I'd say if price isn't an issue go with the M9, but if you're on a budget the M8 is a great device as well.

That70sGAdawg

Trusted Member
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree with the above comments and would add unless $ is extremely stressed- why buy a phone that's over a year old design...
M9 sounds and works great!

pcsguy88

May 12, 2015
Visit site
I absolutely love my M8 Harmon Kardon and have no issues with the duo camera on it. My phone is my music feed for my car and my headphones at work and the HK software makes an obvious difference to both over Bluetooth. This is my #1 need honestly. I will be upgrading on July 1st ONLY because I will save $23 a month. Honestly, I'm not too pleased with my choices considering the S6 is getting hammered for the battery and the M9 is getting hammered for the camera. I'd hate to downgrade from the M8 on either front. My M8 already has battery life issues since upgrading to Lollipop, turning on Google Now and hooking an Asus Zenwatch up to it all within the past few months, so I have little faith the S6 can handle my power requirements.

Can anyone here compare the sound quality between HK and Dolby on the M's? Is the camera on the M9 functionally worse for average dad point and click? Can anyone state the battery life with a watch attached?

Thanks guys.