05-19-2015 08:36 AM
27 12
tools
    My previous smartphone was an iphone for the last 6 years. I have recently purchased a one M9 via Optus in Sydney Aust as I read rave reviews about the new M9 and thought about changing. I found a lovely casing and acquired a 128GB Sandisk memory card. Getting the M9 would have to be the outright worst decision in my life. The Sync manager when it wakes up after 10 minutes has no idea where things are and then it ****s itself and freezes. Ive used Airdroid to limited success and Real player to transfer music but the phone is highly selective what it will allow. It arbitrarily chooses what it will take on board in internal or mem card as far as photos, music or video and then within an hour or so after checking its there decides to dlete or hide them or even make them corrupted. In short Ive had the phone 3 weeks. Ive spent so far 78 hours trying to put my stuff in which isn't excessive and Im about to kill someone. The phone is not faulty but the underlying programs have been developed by imbeciles and frankly Im surprised the HTC brand still exists. Compared to an iphone it is nothing better two cans with string in between. Im surprised the phone actually works. So Optus ........ im coming to collect a refund for selling me something that cannot (ever) do what it was advertised to do. and as for reviews? They had to be on the HTC payroll as this phone is a catastrophic failure of a product. Apple has no competition against HTC ..............
    tippmann15 likes this.
    05-16-2015 09:56 AM
    If you're talking about HTC's Sync Manager software, you're right: it has always been a P.O.S.. I've had HTC phones for years and never use it. And there's really no reason to use it as you can just drag and drop whatever you want onto the SD Card. Not being tied to software (like iTunes) for device management is one of the benefits of Android, in my opinion.
    Sole07 likes this.
    05-16-2015 10:05 AM
    Dude.... there are millions of people using that phone... don't you think that there's a possibility that you're doing something wrong? Or maybe inefficiently?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Sole07, bigrey81, DLK1 and 1 others like this.
    05-16-2015 10:45 AM
    Ditch the sync manager and drag and drop?

Seems like the solution to your earth shattering disaster of a scenario.

Sole07 likes this.
    05-16-2015 12:01 PM
    I would also try a different SD card to make sure you didn't get a bad one.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    bigrey81, James E1 and pcsguy88 like this.
    05-16-2015 12:12 PM
    My previous smartphone was an iphone for the last 6 years. I have recently purchased a one M9 via Optus in Sydney Aust as I read rave reviews about the new M9 and thought about changing. I found a lovely casing and acquired a 128GB Sandisk memory card. Getting the M9 would have to be the outright worst decision in my life. The Sync manager when it wakes up after 10 minutes has no idea where things are and then it ****s itself and freezes. Ive used Airdroid to limited success and Real player to transfer music but the phone is highly selective what it will allow. It arbitrarily chooses what it will take on board in internal or mem card as far as photos, music or video and then within an hour or so after checking its there decides to dlete or hide them or even make them corrupted. In short Ive had the phone 3 weeks. Ive spent so far 78 hours trying to put my stuff in which isn't excessive and Im about to kill someone. The phone is not faulty but the underlying programs have been developed by imbeciles and frankly Im surprised the HTC brand still exists. Compared to an iphone it is nothing better two cans with string in between. Im surprised the phone actually works. So Optus ........ im coming to collect a refund for selling me something that cannot (ever) do what it was advertised to do. and as for reviews? They had to be on the HTC payroll as this phone is a catastrophic failure of a product. Apple has no competition against HTC ..............
    EBay it although the m9 is a very hard sell.

05-16-2015 12:30 PM
    I'd wait until Samsung has their buy one get one free real soon. You could get two S6s for it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    05-16-2015 01:33 PM
    LOL @ this rant. Please go back to the iPhone, Android clearly seems too complicated for you.
    05-16-2015 05:56 PM
    Sounds like an SD card problem. But like others have said it my be sync manager.
    05-16-2015 06:02 PM
    These androids are nothing like your fruit phone. Trash that sync manager and download iSyncr from the play store.
    iSyncr works well with iTunes, make sure you get the paid version.
    Sync to your hearts content.
    05-16-2015 08:01 PM
    Just drag and drop

dreaming of electric sheep
    05-17-2015 02:53 AM
    The M9 is a great phone, and this is coming from an iPhone user for 8 years. If you're all in on Apple, file transfers can be a pain though. Sync Manager is useless on a Mac. I use either AirDroid or AndroidFileTransfer to transfer media over. I haven't done any bulk transfer yet (I don't have an SD card yet), but I've read great things about iSyncr for iTunes media. Gonna try that. There's a great article on AC for transferring iTunes stuff to Android phones. I'll edit with a link when I find it.

EDIT: Here's the link I was referring to:
    http://www.androidcentral.com/how-ge...c-your-android
    05-17-2015 08:57 AM
    Take a deep breath and try some of the suggestions above.
    coronaboy10 likes this.
    05-17-2015 09:19 AM
    I know I'm playing a broken record here, but simply plugging your phone into your computer, using File Explorer to navigate to whichever directory to which you want to transfer files and then copying/pasting or dragging and dropping whatever you want is an easy process.

The HTC Sync Manager software is poorly executed. Please try not to form an opinion about a phone or operating system because of it. The HTC One M9, in my belief, is not all that great, but it most certainly functions in a very reliable, consistent, and consequently predictable, manner just like all Android phones.

Continue giving the phone (not the proprietary HTC software) a chance and you'll learn that it is very likely to meet your needs.

Thanks a lot.
    coronaboy10 and daniel-k like this.
    05-17-2015 10:15 AM
    Please take it back and get a different brand. Thank you.

Via my HTC One M9...
    05-17-2015 07:56 PM
    To be even more clear, what they mean by drag and drop is to connect the phone to your computer. If you use a Windows computer it's even easier. Open file explorer, find the phone on the left and click on it. Find the SD card there and click on it and start dragging your music to it. It's that easy.
    05-18-2015 03:42 AM
    Or use HTC File Manager to move files around its really easy. Even creating files is easy movie files music pictures I have no issues just like a computer.

05-18-2015 08:25 AM
    To be even more clear, what they mean by drag and drop is to connect the phone to your computer. If you use a Windows computer it's even easier. Open file explorer, find the phone on the left and click on it. Find the SD card there and click on it and start dragging your music to it. It's that easy.
    Maybe you can help me out. I use a MacBookPro. When I had the M8 and plugged it in via USB the phone showed up on my desktop. With the M9 however, I can't find it for some reason. Any ideas of what to search for? Or how I can get it to show up? Thanks.
    05-18-2015 10:40 AM
    Maybe you can help me out. I use a MacBookPro. When I had the M8 and plugged it in via USB the phone showed up on my desktop. With the M9 however, I can't find it for some reason. Any ideas of what to search for? Or how I can get it to show up? Thanks.
    When I used to use a MacBook, I had to use a program called Android File Transfer because the phone would never show up in Finder.

This is one of the reasons I finally gave up Macs and went back to Windows.
    05-18-2015 10:44 AM
    When I used to use a MacBook, I had to use a program called Android File Transfer because the phone would never show up in Finder.

This is one of the reasons I finally gave up Macs and went back to Windows.
    Thanks. I have Android File Transfer and I also use AirDroid, but I was just looking for a direct connection I guess. It's just weird my M9 says MTP device connected, but I can't find it on my Mac. No way I'm switching to Windows. Haha! Heck, I'm surprised I've stuck with Android this time around. Never made it more than 2 weeks with Android in the past.
    05-18-2015 11:11 AM
    Thanks. I have Android File Transfer and I also use AirDroid, but I was just looking for a direct connection I guess. It's just weird my M9 says MTP device connected, but I can't find it on my Mac. No way I'm switching to Windows. Haha! Heck, I'm surprised I've stuck with Android this time around. Never made it more than 2 weeks with Android in the past.
    These restrictions though are the reasons why so many people hate Apple. There should be no reason why a person can't drag and drop music to a phone without having to resort to software to do the job,
    05-18-2015 11:43 AM
    These restrictions though are the reasons why so many people hate Apple. There should be no reason why a person can't drag and drop music to a phone without having to resort to software to do the job,
    That's what I find so strange. That my M8 showed up, but my M9 doesn't. Same computer. No major OSX updates since I had the M8 either. The only change is the M8 had KitKat w/ Sense 6 and the M9 has Lollipop w/ Sense 7.
    05-18-2015 02:48 PM
    Thanks to all of you for making good suggestions but I can faithfully report that as of today 19th May 2015 I have now used 1) HTC sync Manager 2) Realplayer Cloud (to some reasonable use) and 3) Airdroid (which doesn't recognise my 128GB memory card. After scores of hours working these programs in unison and imaginatively separately I was able to load some songs and their respective playlists. The photos loaded by groups and then over several days the count dropped and the remaining files were displayed chopped in half or corrupt. Videos said no way and the Playlists evaporated to now showing 30 listed playlists with no contents. The music files are however resident on the mem card but its colossal. The Software managers wont talk anymore to the device and the HTC excuse for a program is still orbiting the Earth from last launch. I tried loading things onto the internal memory but with the same probs.

Then I simply looked at using Windows explorer with drag n drop. Looked easy but again, files went missing in the transfer, photos cut in half, music files not recognised as playable, corrupt files and the list goes on. I recommissioned the external mem card 4 times now to no avail. The internal memory was wiped of my files and started again.

After extensive research, time and effort - I can only conclude my earlier finding. This New HTC one M9 is the biggest steaming pile of over rubbish ever offered on the Australian market. I only hope I never meet face to face with a HTC executive - it wouldn't be pretty !!!!

Honestly I really wanted to love this new technology in the M9 but their is nothing to love as its all marketing show and no go.
    05-19-2015 07:08 AM
    Thanks to all of you for making good suggestions but I can faithfully report that as of today 19th May 2015 I have now used 1) HTC sync Manager 2) Realplayer Cloud (to some reasonable use) and 3) Airdroid (which doesn't recognise my 128GB memory card. After scores of hours working these programs in unison and imaginatively separately I was able to load some songs and their respective playlists. The photos loaded by groups and then over several days the count dropped and the remaining files were displayed chopped in half or corrupt. Videos said no way and the Playlists evaporated to now showing 30 listed playlists with no contents. The music files are however resident on the mem card but its colossal. The Software managers wont talk anymore to the device and the HTC excuse for a program is still orbiting the Earth from last launch. I tried loading things onto the internal memory but with the same probs.

Then I simply looked at using Windows explorer with drag n drop. Looked easy but again, files went missing in the transfer, photos cut in half, music files not recognised as playable, corrupt files and the list goes on. I recommissioned the external mem card 4 times now to no avail. The internal memory was wiped of my files and started again.

After extensive research, time and effort - I can only conclude my earlier finding. This New HTC one M9 is the biggest steaming pile of over rubbish ever offered on the Australian market. I only hope I never meet face to face with a HTC executive - it wouldn't be pretty !!!!

Honestly I really wanted to love this new technology in the M9 but their is nothing to love as its all marketing show and no go.
    Ok, so this is happening with everyone's phone. That is why we all still have it. Did you even try a different SD card? If that makes no difference and a hard reset doesn't fix it, then you got a defective unit. Exchange it. This happens with all brands and manufacturers. I have had to exchange other phones before, not just HTC phones.
    05-19-2015 07:42 AM
    MTP is a protocol, not a mounted disk like the old phones used to do with the SD Card, where the card would get unmounted from the phone and used as USB storage on the Mac or PC.

This of course can interrupt operations on the phone - it also prevents accessing the internal storage (non SD card), since that would prevent the phone accessing it and would be quite inconvenient.

So MTP (which I believe is a prototocol that was invented or acquired by Microsoft) allows the computer to access the files while avoiding the need to unmount it from the phone itself. At some point Google decided it was a better deal than interrupting phone functionality with the old method.

Windows Explorer supports MTP out of the box, the Finder doesn't. That's why you need an extra app (Android File Transfer) to browse the content of a phone using MTP.

Patrix.
    05-19-2015 08:28 AM
27 12