Project Volta - Almost a year later and battery life issues are worse

dann127

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
As far as I understand Volta it wasn't anything Google was going to be doing to improve battery but instead giving developers much more battery information during development. That allows deal to make things more battery efficient.

With more and more devices moving to Lollipop it's possible we'll begin to see more of an improvement but it's still in the hands of the developers.

Posted via the Android Central App

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
As far as I understand Volta it wasn't anything Google was going to be doing to improve battery but instead giving developers much more battery information during development. That allows deal to make things more battery efficient.

With more and more devices moving to Lollipop it's possible we'll begin to see more of an improvement but it's still in the hands of the developers.

But it says this right in the article. I know it applies to stock android but still don't think HTC has optimized this yet.

"Battery Saver mode in Android L, similarly to what Samsung and HTC are doing in their latest software suites, shuts down unnecessary processes, slows refresh rates, slows down the CPU and even cuts down on background data to extend battery. Google says that Battery Saver can extend battery by up to 90 percent if it is used for a full day on a Nexus 5."

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Battery Historian is a tool to analyze battery consumers using Android "bugreport" files.

I for one think battery optimization has steadily improved. It is hard to see because most of it is utilized on the increased power consumption of phones. Phones are getting thinner and thinner while screens are getting larger and more power hungry. We could go back to the days of thick bulky batteries by making the phones bulky again and I bet with today's advancements the battery will last 2-3 times longer. Or we could dial back on these larger power hungry CPUs. The phone will be slower and more sluggish, but I bet the battery will last a lot longer.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Battery Historian is a tool to analyze battery consumers using Android "bugreport" files.

I for one think battery optimization has steadily improved. It is hard to see because most of it is utilized on the increased power consumption of phones. Phones are getting thinner and thinner while screens are getting larger and more power hungry. We could go back to the days of thick bulky batteries by making the phones bulky again and I bet with today's advancements the battery will last 2-3 times longer. Or we could dial back on these larger power hungry CPUs. The phone will be slower and more sluggish, but I bet the battery will last a lot longer.

Except the M9 is thicker than the M8 and has a bigger battery and the same size and resolution screen and worse battery life. At least the S6 excuse is a smaller battery and thin and higher resolution.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Except the M9 is thicker than the M8 and has a bigger battery and the same size and resolution screen and worse battery life. At least the S6 excuse is a smaller battery and thin and higher resolution.

I was talking in comparison to phones back when, not just last year, and I was speaking in general. I'm averaging 5.5 hours of SOT with my M9. Mileage will vary for different peeps based on type of usage and location. From what I have been reading, the S6 battery life is not so good, worse than the M9. By God, if you prefer the M8, stick with it. No need to hang around being a whiner trying convince anybody of anything. Users experiences will vary based on tastes and preferences. If you want a new device and don't like the M9, get rid of it and get something that will make you happy.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I was talking in comparison to phones back when, not just last year, and I was speaking in general. I'm averaging 5.5 hours of SOT with my M9. Mileage will vary for different peeps based on type of usage and location. From what I have been reading, the S6 battery life is not so good, worse than the M9. By God, if you prefer the M8, stick with it. No need to hang around being a whiner trying convince anybody of anything. Users experiences will vary based on tastes and preferences. If you want a new device and don't like the M9, get rid of it and get something that will make you happy.

Hey Bud. The comment was about Project Volta and the promise of better battery life. Most people on here were looking forward to the M9 being the same screen size and resolution but with a bigger battery so better battery life. I know that the SOC takes some of the blame but Google I/O is fast approaching and they are coming out with Android M now when Lollipop has been a disaster as far as I am concerned with respect to deployment, execution and use. Now take that being sensitive ball and go home garbage out of here as I am not directly pointing my finger at HTC per se but at Google.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Then maybe you should read up more on what the project is about and not just some article from Android Central.

I know what it's about. The article was just for reference since this is AC. The point is I don't see any evidence of it. Yet they are already releasing a new OS when the last one only has like 5% adoption rate and is far from polished. Anything else you would like to add or are you done lecturing me.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
The project has never been about Google promising better battery life. It is about providing developers with the means to better code their apps to maintain practical battery usage. All the efforts of Google and the manufactures working on battery efficiency go to waste if user Joe is just gonna install some apps the drain battery. I know I have experienced this numerous times, installing an app and having to turn around and promptly uninstall it because it drains the battery. When that happens, too often Google and/or the manufacturers take blame for poor battery life because a high percentage of users don't even stop to consider it may be something they installed. The project is good move on Google's part, but it is up to the developers to utilize and make use of what is available.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The project has never been about Google promising better battery life. It is about providing developers with the means to better code their apps to maintain practical battery usage. All the efforts of Google and the manufactures working on battery efficiency go to waste if user Joe is just gonna install some apps the drain battery. I know I have experienced this numerous times, installing an app and having to turn around and promptly uninstall it because it drains the battery. When that happens, too often Google and/or the manufacturers take blame for poor battery life because a high percentage of users don't even stop to consider it may be something they installed. The project is good move on Google's part, but it is up to the developers to utilize and make use of what is available.

Ok. Fair points made there.