05-21-2015 05:08 PM
    Hardly a surprise considering nearly identical specs to last year. An upgrade to the camera sensor, but at the loss of anything that made it notable. Highly controversial chipset, and pretty much the same design as last time.

To me at any rate, it's just "another android phone." They shot the first target with the M7, but sadly the target is not stationary, but a moving one. Samsung and LG have managed to it said target in different ways with each new device.
    Alex_NJ and drone3 like this.
    05-21-2015 05:25 PM
    I don't think that this was a surprise for anyone. The m9 will also be heavily discounted soon by carriers. Its just not selling and now with the G4 coming out right after the S6 the m9 is pretty much done.

Posted via the Android Central App
    05-21-2015 06:42 PM
    Considering the steady decline that HTC has been in, I don't get where there should be any high expectations for any HTC phone. But they are still a good product no matter how many they sell. Samsung has done a good job of holding it's own. LG has become a big player. The Nexus 4 I had is a LG product and I was impressed with it. Although, just like any phone, there were plenty of complaints about it. When the G4 comes out, I'm gonna take a hard look at it. I can always pass the M9 on to my daughter. I'm just not sure if I want to step up to a 5.5 screen from a 5.0 one.
    05-21-2015 08:04 PM
    HTC may cut its ordersfor related parts and components for its flagship smartphone, the HTC One M9, by as much as 30% due to lower-than-expected sales for the model in the end-market, according to sources at Taiwan's handset supply chain.

HTC declined to comment on market reports.

However, the sources noted that sales of the One M9 have been flat as its design is identical to its predecessor the M8 and its hardware specifications are just comparable to other flagship models launched by other vendors.
    Well don't expect the G4 to do well sales wise as its specs are just comparable to other flagship models and its design is identical to its predecessor (based on the reasons given by this anonymous source).

Also, I could have sworn I remember reading people's comments stating that the average consumer isn't driven by hardware specs. Hence how the lack of competitive specs of the iPhone never hindered its sales success.

By no means am I denying that this story MIGHT BE possibly legit. However, the reasons for the possible reduction in component orders sounds like they were given by the same type of people who think that specs are what sells in addition to SD Card slots and removable batteries. With the exception of the S6 Edge, neither of the top selling flagships are a revolutionary design change from their predecessor. Just my ignorant opinion.

05-22-2015 07:30 AM
    05-22-2015 12:52 PM
    Well don't expect the G4 to do well sales wise as its specs are just comparable to other flagship models and its design is identical to its predecessor (based on the reasons given by this anonymous source).

Also, I could have sworn I remember reading people's comments stating that the average consumer isn't driven by hardware specs. Hence how the lack of competitive specs of the iPhone never hindered its sales success.

By no means am I denying that this story MIGHT BE possibly legit. However, the reasons for the possible reduction in component orders sounds like they were given by the same type of people who think that specs are what sells in addition to SD Card slots and removable batteries. With the exception of the S6 Edge, neither of the top selling flagships are a revolutionary design change from their predecessor. Just my ignorant opinion.

Fair assessment. I took a gander at the specs for the G4 and also fail to see where the G4 will be cutting edge over the M9 and S6. I suspect sales will disappoint with it also. And based on feedback from the those that have their hands on the most recent update for the M9, there is a vast improvement with the camera software. If this is the case, there will be less of a migration from the M9. I understand that most people here are phone geeks, so to speak, and expect cutting edge with every release, but the very highest majority of users keep their phone two years or longer. The carriers have had consumers on a two year upgrade cycle for the longest. This would mean the majority should be coming from at least a M7 or comparable phone, so the M9 should be a nice step up, especially if the camera is getting truly fixed. In the end, it boils down to mainly preference. For me, I prefer Sense over Touchwiz, my sons iPhone 4 and my N4 turned me off from glass backs, and I am no fan of hard home buttons, so the M9 over the S6 was a easy choice for me.
    05-22-2015 01:36 PM
    Initial indications are that S6 sales are worse than the S5 which itself was seen as a failure, so it's hardly rosy with any Android manufacturer right now.

The most exciting phones of late are in the mid range. The Alcatel Idol 3 and Zenfone 2 are two that come to mind. The only high end phone awaiting release that I'm somewhat curious about is the Moto X 2015. Moto, like HTC, concentrate on making devices pleasurable to use than merely concentrating on specs.
    05-22-2015 05:39 PM
    Initial indications are that S6 sales are worse than the S5 which itself was seen as a failure, so it's hardly rosy with any Android manufacturer right now.

The most exciting phones of late are in the mid range. The Alcatel Idol 3 and Zenfone 2 are two that come to mind. The only high end phone awaiting release that I'm somewhat curious about is the Moto X 2015. Moto, like HTC, concentrate on making devices pleasurable to use than merely concentrating on specs.
    I thought the S6 was selling really well. I'm not that impressed by it (other than the display). What Android phones are selling well at the moment?
    05-22-2015 05:55 PM
    To be honest, I don't think Apple is going to sell 73 million iPhones the Christmas quarter like they did last year. They had things working in their favour last year that won't be there this time around. I guess what I am saying this is going to be a flat year for all the big players. All these phones are getting pretty boring and safe.

05-22-2015 06:31 PM
    To be honest, I don't think Apple is going to sell 73 million iPhones the Christmas quarter like they did last year. They had things working in their favour last year that won't be there this time around. I guess what I am saying this is going to be a flat year for all the big players. All these phones are getting pretty boring and safe.

What Apple has done the last 2 quarters is nothing short of amazing sales wise, but back on topic. I think the problem is smart phones had a few years of amazing breakthroughs. Now it seems to be at a stalemate again. Nature of all industry. All the best computer engineers moved to mobile. Now they're all working on wearables, smart home, or automotive (I assume). Or maybe I've just had one too many margaritas.
    05-22-2015 06:44 PM
    What Apple has done the last 2 quarters is nothing short of amazing sales wise, but back on topic. I think the problem is smart phones had a few years of amazing breakthroughs. Now it seems to be at a stalemate again. Nature of all industry. All the best computer engineers moved to mobile. Now they're all working on wearables, smart home, or automotive (I assume). Or maybe I've just had one too many margaritas.
    I agree. The 6S was already iterative by nature. The next breakthrough will be in battery life but that won't come this year. Smart phones are turning into the PC market.

05-22-2015 08:06 PM
    I agree. The 6S was already iterative by nature. The next breakthrough will be in battery life but that won't come this year. Smart phones are turning into the PC market.

I really hope it's battery. I've read for years of all this great battery tech that might happen one day, but nothing has panned out yet. But with Tesla and Apple (I think Apple is focusing more on battery tech than all the car talk we're hearing), something awesome will happen soon. Tesla is a really innovative company, and Apple (even though most Android lovers disagree) is as well. For what it's worth, I believe Apple has moved to engineering more for their innovation. Stuff you'll never see or feel. Not so much a product itself, but how the product works in the space provided.
    05-22-2015 08:28 PM
    I really hope it's battery. I've read for years of all this great battery tech that might happen one day, but nothing has panned out yet. But with Tesla and Apple (I think Apple is focusing more on battery tech than all the car talk we're hearing), something awesome will happen soon. Tesla is a really innovative company, and Apple (even though most Android lovers disagree) is as well. For what it's worth, I believe Apple has moved to engineering more for their innovation. Stuff you'll never see or feel. Not so much a product itself, but how the product works in the space provided.
    Not if they keep being obsessed with being thinner every generation. I think we are reaching the point of diminishing returns there. I just wish Google and Android OEM's would optimize the software the way Apple does. Apple gets a lot right.

05-22-2015 08:35 PM
    Not if they keep being obsessed with being thinner every generation. I think we are reaching the point of diminishing returns there. I just wish Google and Android OEM's would optimize the software the way Apple does. Apple gets a lot right.

I'm gonna go on a tangent since you're not anti-Apple. I don't see what Apple doing currently as wrong. They're pushing boundaries in ways that nobody sees. Sure they're doing it at the expense of power and battery life. But as a consumer based company people want thinner and lighter. It's mostly just us paying attention. Take the new Retina MacBook for example. The new keyboard is something all companies will copy at some point. The single USB-C is wrong. They know that I believe. When the MacBook Air was released it was considered a underdeveloped/underpowered. Now there is an entire ultrabook category. I think the Apple Watch is better than any Android Wear counterpoint, but it's not fully developed. I'm a tech guy. I love iOS for what it is. I love Android for what it is. I may never leave Mac desktop, but I'm super interested in what Microsoft is doing at the moment. I just have to see what's next. Apple's biggest strength is also they're biggest failure. I'm not sure if one ecosystem is the wave of the future, but it's the simplest.
    05-22-2015 09:57 PM
    If Google announces that Android Wear is compatible with IOS then things get interesting. Google and Microsoft are both coming around to the fact that being cross platform is the future. Apple is the complete opposite and that will be their undoing in the long run. Once a company the size of Google gains access to Apples ecosystem through hardware instead of software it will change the narrative.

05-23-2015 05:02 AM