The HTC M9 beat the S6 in daylight with the new Camera

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok here a daylight comparison between the old (actual European Rom) and the new 1.40

With the old HTC Camera M9:
IMAG0082.jpg

Crop Old HTC Camera M9
crop.jpg

With the new HTC Camera M9
IMAG1690.jpg

Crop New HTC Camera M9
cropnew.jpg

And the S6 Crop:
s6.jpg

As you can see the color reproduction is now Amazing with the Jpeg of the HTC M9, even better than on S6, details also are much better .

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
The problem with this as I stated in the XDA thread is we don't have a DSLR camera reference for what the actual colour of the building is. Second, I still haven't seen any pictures with respect to improvement in low light processing. Third, they don't have OIS but they do have EIS and so does the iPhone 6 so it is possible through software to improve the video "Blairwitching" that occurs. I don't think HTC is up to that task though. That said, I look forward to any improvements coming.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
The problem with this as I stated in the XDA thread is we don't have a DSLR camera reference for what the actual colour of the building is. Second, I still haven't seen any pictures with respect to improvement in low light processing. Third, they don't have OIS but they do have EIS and so does the iPhone 6 so it is possible through software to improve the video "Blairwitching" that occurs. I don't think HTC is up to that task though. That said, I look forward to any improvements coming.

I will take a photo with my Nikon D90 DSLR tomorrow of the same place but I can assure you than my human eyes said the M9 with 1.40 FW has better colors now ;)

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

Why is their a problem? The improvement is obvious. Whatever the natural color of the building, it appears to be the same color with both phones now, the S6 just has more brightness. This will be two updates since release that greatly improve the camera. The majority of consumers should be satisfied with this update, but that doesn't mean there won't be further improvements after this update. And the majority of those that still aren't satisfied or still want to complain probably don't even have the phone. Like you, I would like to see some low light shots and will take any improvement over nothing.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Why is their a problem? The improvement is obvious. Whatever the natural color of the building, it appears to be the same color with both phones now, the S6 just has more brightness. This will be two updates since release that greatly improve the camera. The majority of consumers should be satisfied with this update, but that doesn't mean there won't be further improvements after this update. And the majority of those that still aren't satisfied or still want to complain probably don't even have the phone. Like you, I would like to see some low light shots and will take any improvement over nothing.

At this point, it is only the lack of OIS in the video taking that I find unacceptable. I can live with everything else about the camera to be honest, even more so after this update.

We must be looking at different pictures. That building is different colours on all three cameras. It is darker on the old M9, lighter on the new M9 and flat out washed out on the S6. What is the actual shade I should have asked more specifically.

Posted via the Android Central App

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
When you refer to "new camera" are you talking about version 4.0 that added raw capture or is there something else I'm not aware of?

htcrazy

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
The firmware version right now starts 1.32.XXXX. The new one is 1.40.XXXX.

Oh, ok. So the update will be incorporated into the next incremental OS update rather than an update of the camera app itself in the Playstore if I read your reply correct. I was wondering why they just couldn't update the camera app and post it for download from the Playstore, but I guess it's more complicated than that.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Oh, ok. So the update will be incorporated into the next incremental OS update rather than an update of the camera app itself in the Playstore if I read your reply correct. I was wondering why they just couldn't update the camera app and post it for download from the Playstore, but I guess it's more complicated than that.

Not exactly, the next OS is Android Lollipop 5.1.1 and we won't be getting that for a few months. This is just an OTA from HTC updated the firmware to a new version of it which we should have in a few weeks. It includes improvements to Sense in terms of performance and battery life as well as post processing changes to the images the camera produces. This is not to be confused with the HTC Camera app in the Play Store which is more about new features and bug fixes within the app itself.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Here a photo taken with my Nikon D90 DSLR

http://u.cubeupload.com/vegetaleb/DSC13901.jpg

Based on the DSLR image. The new HTC firmware actually doesn't match the colours of the building. I downloaded M9 and S6 close ups and viewed the images side by side on my desktop with the DSLR image. The HTC close up is darker than it should be. The S6 close up is more washed out and is too light compared to the DSLR sample. The 1.40 is an improvement overall though.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Based on the DSLR image. The new HTC firmware actually doesn't match the colours of the building. I downloaded M9 and S6 close ups and viewed the images side by side on my desktop with the DSLR image. The HTC close up is darker than it should be. The S6 close up is more washed out and is too light compared to the DSLR sample. The 1.40 is an improvement overall though.

You know which one looks better right? Big improvement. You should be thrilled, yet you seem hell bent on ragging on the M9. I can't believe you are still hanging on to it.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
You know which one looks better right? Big improvement. You should be thrilled, yet you seem hell bent on ragging on the M9. I can't believe you are still hanging on to it.

Thrilled? C'mon... take of your HTC pajamas. If you actually read what I wrote I said neither camera actually captured the colour of the actual building , one is too light and one is too dark, but that the new HTC firmware is an improvement overall from previous firmware. I am not on here to defend HTC 24/7 which appears to be your full time job. I just call it like I see it. I bought the phone so I am not on here trolling like some other peeps who don't have it and never intent to by it. So I am entitled to my opinion.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
I guess we cannot expect to get the same quality pictures with our smartphones as we do with DSLRs.

I am not expecting it to take the same quality photos as a DSLR. However, how can you compare pictures taking from smartphone cameras if you don't know what the image actually looks like. At that point, I can say such and such camera captured the image more accurately or such and such camera is improving based on this baseline reference.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I agree.
I hope though that the new update will make the camera better, so that most of us will be able to take nice pictures, on par with the iPhone 6 or the Samsung S6 (or at least of very similar quality).

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
No we will never get DSLR quality out of a smartphone. Not even the S6 will come close to that. But we do have a good update coming that puts us on par with the others. Performance is already top notch, an improved camera will just round it out. The ability to adjust the screen colors will also be nice when we get that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835