The HTC M9 beat the S6 in daylight with the new Camera

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Based on the DSLR image. The new HTC firmware actually doesn't match the colours of the building. I downloaded M9 and S6 close ups and viewed the images side by side on my desktop with the DSLR image. The HTC close up is darker than it should be. The S6 close up is more washed out and is too light compared to the DSLR sample. The 1.40 is an improvement overall though.

Okay based on the DSLR image, can we agree that the new update for the HTC One m9 puts it on par with the S6 camera ?

Posted via the Android Central App

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I am no photography expert, but to my eyes and at least in bright sunlight it looks good. The question is, how does the camera perform in low light situations? What about video recording?

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Okay based on the DSLR image, can we agree that the new update for the HTC One m9 puts it on par with the S6 camera ?

Ummm, no. Because as I've said. My issue has never been photos in great lighting but low light ones and the shaky video. There are no details on those improvements.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Ummm, no. Because as I've said. My issue has never been photos in great lighting but low light ones and the shaky video. There are no details on those improvements.

You can't get the same results as on the S6 with M9 for very low light, take it for granted!
The S6 has an OIS that helps reduce the shutter speed up to 1/8s while with the M9 it's perhaps about 1/20s, slower than that and the photo is blurred, so yes the S6 has naturally more light coming in the low light photos that why the S6 doesn't need to use ISO 1600 that produces lot of noise to compensate like the M9 does.
I am like many others a daylight photo shooter, I rarely take photos at night so I don't bother.
Btw I took selfies with the S6 in low light and the results were catastrophic while the M9 was crisp and detailed.
If you are so in need to take low light photos and you take loooot of them (and not selfies) then get the S6.
This thread was made to show how great the camera is now on M9 for daylight

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Look at the difference between the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus. You can barely see it, despite the fact that the iPhone 6 has no OIS.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Look at the difference between the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus. You can barely see it, despite the fact that the iPhone 6 has no OIS.

In low light or very low light?
The M9 can take good photos in low light using the manual controls but in very low light it will use a high ISO of 1600 that will make noise, though if you resize to facebook size (1 to 4MP) you will get very nice photos whatever the condition.
I daylight you can crop at 100% while keeping high details specially with RAW

joewoo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
During daylight, shooting at low iso, most cameras perform similarly... the dynamic range and sharpness are optimal in these conditions and it takes pixel peeping to try to distinguish the difference between sensors...

Also, it's not a fair comparison anyways when you have two different sensors at different resolutions and you take 100% crops... one is bound to not look equal to the other when they are "zoomed in" and compared

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about the m9 and I'm wandering if this would be a worthy upgrade over the m7. 98% of the time I take pictures in bright daylight and some videos

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I'm thinking about the m9 and I'm wandering if this would be a worthy upgrade over the m7. 98% of the time I take pictures in bright daylight and some videos

Yes in daylight you can take superb photos and 1080p to 4K videos, better get a large SD card ;)

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the recommended settings to take "superb" pics? Also do you have any recommendations for a large sd card @ a good price?

It's recommended to lower the sharpness to -1, some people even lower it to -1.5.
If you plan to save your photos and videos directly to your SDcard then a fast one is recommended like a Sandisk Extreme, Samsung Pro or PNY Turbo, though if you plan to save directly to internal memory then backup on SD you can choose whatever card you want

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It's recommended to lower the sharpness to -1, some people even lower it to -1.5.
If you plan to save your photos and videos directly to your SDcard then a fast one is recommended like a Sandisk Extreme, Samsung Pro or PNY Turbo, though if you plan to save directly to internal memory then backup on SD you can choose whatever card you want
Does it have really better display brightness for outdoor viewing than the m7. I view/take pictures/video outside in bright sunlight but this is almost impossible to accomplish on the m7. What other features are better on the m9 vs m7 (battery life,etc...)?

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Does it have really better display brightness for outdoor viewing than the m7. I view/take pictures/video outside in bright sunlight but this is almost impossible to accomplish on the m7. What other features are better on the m9 vs m7 (battery life,etc...)?

The sunlight visibility is better yes, the M9 has a sort of new polarized layer on the screen giving better results while keeping the colors very natural.
You will love the camera, UI with themes, speakers (they are better than M7), speed, the new metallic colors...

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site

I had the M7 before and have the M9 now. The M9 is better outdoors for viewing. You just have to remember to turn off auto brightness because it is way to aggressive. At full brightness you will have no issues. Even at 2 bars brightness you will be ok outside on an overcast day. Battery life is better, it is way faster, It is way louder, the camera is way better, in general it is just superior. Button placement is better as well, plus you now have an SD card slot. I prefer the on screen buttons and use the 4th button more than I thought I would. You will also like having tap to wake and other gestures.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I had the M7 before and have the M9 now. The M9 is better outdoors for viewing. You just have to remember to turn off auto brightness because it is way to aggressive. At full brightness you will have no issues. Even at 2 bars brightness you will be ok outside on an overcast day. Battery life is better, it is way faster, It is way louder, the camera is way better, in general it is just superior. Button placement is better as well, plus you now have an SD card slot. I prefer the on screen buttons and use the 4th button more than I thought I would. You will also like having tap to wake and other gestures.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have your 4th button set up for?