HTC M9 overheating problems anyone??

02carlton

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
So I've upgraded aroind 2 months ago from the HTC One mini to the m9 for bigger screen and SD slot...
yesterday I went for a 1 hour drive to view a new car and used the m9 as my satnav, not long before arriving I noticed the phone was VERRY hot to touch.

Anyone else had this or is it just me??

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

taronba25

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
perfectly normal for whenever you are using GPS. my M8 used to heat up while using GPS and listening to Google Play, all the time!

Sarah Mosby

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
So I left my HTC One M9 in the car for 15 minutes today and it was fried... I mean completely... Yes, it was hot and yes HTC is replacing it under Uh Oh protection but I am really surprised at how easily it was taken out by the heat... poor thing died because I left it in the car with the windows up on a hot summer day... I know I know.. JUST 15 minutes is all it takes to deprive a child, animal.... PHONE of it's life. Sort of frustrating but maybe this will help others to be wary of leaving your phone in the car. Think twice and save a phone! lol It does help that HTC is replacing though.

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
So I left my HTC One M9 in the car for 15 minutes today and it was fried... I mean completely... Yes, it was hot and yes HTC is replacing it under Uh Oh protection but I am really surprised at how easily it was taken out by the heat... poor thing died because I left it in the car with the windows up on a hot summer day... I know I know.. JUST 15 minutes is all it takes to deprive a child, animal.... PHONE of it's life. Sort of frustrating but maybe this will help others to be wary of leaving your phone in the car. Think twice and save a phone! lol It does help that HTC is replacing though.

Did you leave it in direct sunlight or in the arm rest storage or glove box?

02carlton

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
perfectly normal for whenever you are using GPS. my M8 used to heat up while using GPS and listening to Google Play, all the time!
That's crazy.. I will live with it for now but the temperature was crazy if I didn't have case on the phone I wouldn't want to hold it..

02carlton

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
gps sucks up alot of processing, thus power. was the battery drained bigtime too. doesn't sound normal though.
I will have to build a car holder with a cooling kit built in lol
Couldn't tell you about battery loss but it does drain prey fast anyway

02carlton

Jun 14, 2015
Visit site
Tested the Google cardboard and let the family check it out and again high temps.. I think I'll bring it up with HTC to be sure

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Tested the Google cardboard and let the family check it out and again high temps.. I think I'll bring it up with HTC to be sure

Install gsam battery monitor and monitor the temp of the phone. We can't tell you if it's normal without stats.

Posted via the Android Central App

TXJSR

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
My AT&T M9 routinely was running 115 - 120 ℉. I thought it was a bad battery, so I replaced it. Guess what, the new phone has the exact same issue. I guess it's just the chip that runs too hot. My understanding is that Samsung went with a different chip because they thought the Snapdragon overheating was a real problem.

I am very unhappy with this phone being uncomfortably hot in my pocket. HTC really screwed up on this release.

And don't get me started on battery life. I'm sure it is related to the battery being hot and pushing too many electrons. I've had the phone go from 100% to 30% in 3 hours with just a few text messages being exchanged. It's pitiful. I loved my M7, but now I'm doubting my move to the M9.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
My AT&T M9 routinely was running 115 - 120 ℉. I thought it was a bad battery, so I replaced it. Guess what, the new phone has the exact same issue. I guess it's just the chip that runs too hot. My understanding is that Samsung went with a different chip because they thought the Snapdragon overheating was a real problem.

I am very unhappy with this phone being uncomfortably hot in my pocket. HTC really screwed up on this release.

And don't get me started on battery life. I'm sure it is related to the battery being hot and pushing too many electrons. I've had the phone go from 100% to 30% in 3 hours with just a few text messages being exchanged. It's pitiful. I loved my M7, but now I'm doubting my move to the M9.

I've never gotten mine over 102 even playing Asphalt 8 with screen brightness at 100% auto off. And I've never experienced anything like that with battery life either. You could have an app constantly running or something with that much battery drain.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site

1. The sd810 runs cooler than the the chip in the S6.
2. You will feel the heat more on a metal phone than plastic or glass. And 2 may be related to 3.
3. Battery life on the M9 is better than the S6. If you dropped 70% battery in 3 hrs with just a little texting you have an app or something else running that is killing the battery in turn will cause an excessive amount of heat.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site

I don't do any gaming, so it is extremely rare that my M9 goes over 100° F. Battery wise, I get a full days use with at least 5hrs screen on time. If I were you, I would install GSam Battery Monitor and try to pinpoint what is causing your battery drain. If you are using an SD card, I would remove it to see if that helps.

TXJSR

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm using Hwang Ti's Battery Log app to record temps. Since I've been on the forum (1-1/2 hours), the temp has been consistently 108 - 111 ℉. I have not done anything else. Obviously, something is pushing electrons, I just wish I knew how to figure out which is the offending app since there are many apps that do background work.

In all honesty, I think it might be the cell phone radio. Seems that every time my phone is hot, the cell signal strength is never green, always orange or red in the battery usage meter. Perhaps the phone is not satisfied with a mediocre signal and is always looking for better. Who knows.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm using Hwang Ti's Battery Log app to record temps. Since I've been on the forum (1-1/2 hours), the temp has been consistently 108 - 111 ℉. I have not done anything else. Obviously, something is pushing electrons, I just wish I knew how to figure out which is the offending app since there are many apps that do background work.

In all honesty, I think it might be the cell phone radio. Seems that every time my phone is hot, the cell signal strength is never green, always orange or red in the battery usage meter. Perhaps the phone is not satisfied with a mediocre signal and is always looking for better. Who knows.

Have you tried turning off connection optimizer

TXJSR

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I think that is a Sprint option, not AT&T. However, I just turned off enhanced LTE 4G services. Maybe that will help.

caymangolfer

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I know this is a month old now, but have you made any progress in keeping this thing cool? I am running GSAM right now and it is up to 108F and I haven't been using it, it was just in my pocket. I just installed GSAM so I do not have much background information on what apps are draining power yet.

However this phone is bloody hot all the time, and can really get hot when charging and running an app like Pandora in my car. If you have any updates I would greatly appreciate it, otherwise back it goes for something else unfortunately as I do like the phone.

TXJSR

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I think turning off enhanced LTE 4G has helped. It doesn't overheat as often. Though at times when streaming music to my car it does approach 120 degrees and stops charging. I think it is a bug in the architecture. If I wasn't such a big HTC fan, I'd have swapped it out with the Samsung GS6.

GeodudeFFP

May 15, 2014
Visit site
I think turning off enhanced LTE 4G has helped. It doesn't overheat as often. Though at times when streaming music to my car it does approach 120 degrees and stops charging. I think it is a bug in the architecture. If I wasn't such a big HTC fan, I'd have swapped it out with the Samsung GS6.

Just beware that battery life has been a major complaint of many S6 owners.

I've been pretty lucky with battery life and heat, but if anyone knows how to disable HTC Dot View and T-Mobile My Account apps, let me have it! I have quite a few disabled, but it seems you can't disable those two (the Disable button is always grayed out no matter what). Getting rid of those two would boost battery even more.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan