HTC One M9 overheating, like crazy.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Okay, just for the record, my daily IS NOT the HTC One M9, but one of my friends has one as an upgrade and he's really loving it for the past few months....until now.

He remarked that he left his phone to charge overnight (like many of us) and when he went to check his phone, his phone was hot.

No, not the usual "It's warm but not overly hot" that we get with others, but a "Crazy hot as if it just got out of an oven" hot. It was enough to give him a slight burn. It was THAT hot. So hot, in fact, that he had to get oven mitts to use the phone in order to get temperature data. His battery was at 58.7 degrees C. That's way too hot.

He's sending the phone back and is contacting HTC for a replacement. I've attached temperature data below. Anyone know why this is so, besides the SD810?

11140261_1030156470336422_5106805939365091497_n.jpg 11755650_1030156503669752_544128762858170736_n.jpg11781832_1030156533669749_3577921109593444452_n.jpg 11796422_1030156553669747_8911447428374209809_n.jpg11800481_1030156517003084_8352237934728887306_n.jpg

Darksurfr

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site
seems sorta normal for me. I have one. They run hot when you use them in their stock rom setup. VenomROM and it will overheat less not to mention you can turn off all of the cores but 1 of the 8 if you really wanted. I find running it with all of them at 1200 MHz seems to work pretty good. Heat issues are much less with the ROM over stock. Still will get up there a bit when I am using it with data and whatever else running for a long period of time.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
seems sorta normal for me. I have one. They run hot when you use them in their stock rom setup. VenomROM and it will overheat less not to mention you can turn off all of the cores but 1 of the 8 if you really wanted. I find running it with all of them at 1200 MHz seems to work pretty good. Heat issues are much less with the ROM over stock. Still will get up there a bit when I am using it with data and whatever else running for a long period of time.

58.7 degrees on the battery is far from normal to me.

trsbbs

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Okay, just for the record, my daily IS NOT the HTC One M9, but one of my friends has one as an upgrade and he's really loving it for the past few months....until now.

He remarked that he left his phone to charge overnight (like many of us) and when he went to check his phone, his phone was hot.

No, not the usual "It's warm but not overly hot" that we get with others, but a "Crazy hot as if it just got out of an oven" hot. It was enough to give him a slight burn. It was THAT hot. So hot, in fact, that he had to get oven mitts to use the phone in order to get temperature data. His battery was at 58.7 degrees C. That's way too hot.

He's sending the phone back and is contacting HTC for a replacement. I've attached temperature data below. Anyone know why this is so, besides the SD810?

View attachment 189507 View attachment 189508View attachment 189509 View attachment 189510View attachment 189511
Please supply pic of said burn. .

Via my HTC One M9...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Please supply pic of said burn. .

Via my HTC One M9...

I asked him about the burn.

Apparently, when he remarked that the phone ran so hot that it kinda burned him, he didn't mean like a visible burn mark.

What he meant was that the phone wasn't hot enough to give him immediate burn marks but was still hot enough to hurt him. Given that the battery was at an insane temp, I can only hope his replacement doesn't suffer from the same fate.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
This always happens to a friend. Lol. So I guess that is why we don't get details. Is your friends phone stock or rooted? What firmware/software/ rom? Charger that came with the phone or an aftermarket one? Has the phone been overheating previously or did this happen out of the blue? It sounds like it is possible that the charger continued to push amperage even though the battery was full. It could be a firmware/software fault, but I have had chargers go bad and overheat a phone. Your friend may want to test the charger as a precaution.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This always happens to a friend. Lol. So I guess that is why we don't get details. Is your friends phone stock or rooted? What firmware/software/ rom? Charger that came with the phone or an aftermarket one? Has the phone been overheating previously or did this happen out of the blue? It sounds like it is possible that the charger continued to push amperage even though the battery was full. It could be a firmware/software fault, but I have had chargers go bad and overheat a phone. Your friend may want to test the charger as a precaution.

The stock HTC charger, apparently. And it happened out of the blue.

It had been working fine before

It's stock

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
So many broken sarcasm detectors. Cool story though...I mean hot story though. (^__^)

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Das Hot for need oven mitts to hold phone after burn hand .. whatever process had cores maxed out like that during overnight charge is scary.

My biggest worry was the battery.

We agreed that he was lucky his battery never reached 60 degrees or it would've exploded.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Non issue. Folks always exaggerate. .

Via my HTC One M9...

A battery that is 58.7 degrees shouldn't be considered a non-issue

If I owned the M9, I would feel really disgusting over the lack of help

I at least wanna know why his phone got so hot.
And whether replacing the phone will solve the issue assuming it's a defect

Last edited:

neo905

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
A battery that is 58.7 degrees shouldn't be considered a non-issue

If I owned the M9, I would feel really disgusting over the lack of help

I at least wanna know why his phone got so hot.
And whether replacing the phone will solve the issue assuming it's a defect

This isn't even your phone. Tell your friend to exchange it or get a different phone. Problem solved. That or have your friend speak for himself on this thread rather than you speculating on a problem that isn't even yours or one that's representative of the majority of M9 users on here.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
This isn't even your phone. Tell your friend to exchange it or get a different phone. Problem solved. That or have your friend speak for himself on this thread rather than you speculating on a problem that isn't even yours or one that's representative of the majority of M9 users on here.

He's going to.

All I'm asking is if there are any potential suspects. I didn't bash the One M9 (unlike some people on the LG G4 subthread). I'm just merely asking for a potential suspect.

The phone should've throttled, but somehow, the battery got pretty toasty.

I expected at least one user to mention some potential suspects, but so far, it's either "You don't own a One M9, so you have no say" replies or that it's a non-issue. I get that most units don't suffer from this thermal issue, but at least say one potential suspect so that we know what to check if it happens on the replacement.

My suspicion is that it's a defect, but we're deeply monitoring the replacement for any signs of thermal issues.

Please, guys. You're better than this. He hasn't got an AC Forums account yet, but I told him that if he wants to explain his issue firsthand, then he could.

Last edited:

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
He's going to.

All I'm asking is if there are any potential suspects. I didn't bash the One M9 (unlike some people on the LG G4 subthread). I'm just merely asking for a potential suspect.

The phone should've throttled, but somehow, the battery was toasty.

I expected at least one user to mention some potential suspects, but so far, it's either "You don't own a One M9, so you have no say" replies or that it's a non-issue.

My suspicion is that it's a defect, but we're deeply monitoring the replacement for any signs of thermal issues.

I seriously bet that if my daily was the One M9, and it was my phone that had the issue, the replies would be very different.

The phone did throttle, as you put it. Look at your last screen shot. You said your friend had it on the charger all night yet it is only 47% charged. This means the phone detected the heat and quit drawing amperage like it is supposed to. The fact that it continued to overheat, despite the charging circuitry of the phone being shut down, would point to the charger as a likely culprit. Sometimes chargers go bad or occasionally, they malfunction. I have had chargers overheat my phone. I have had chargers drain my phone, instead of charging them, and then work fine afterwards. It may or may have not been the chargers fault, but I would remain leery of it.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The phone did throttle, as you put it. Look at your last screen shot. You said your friend had it on the charger all night yet it is only 47% charged. This means the phone detected the heat and quit drawing amperage like it is supposed to. The fact that it continued to overheat, despite the charging circuitry of the phone being shut down, would point to the charger as a likely culprit. Sometimes chargers go bad or occasionally, they malfunction. I have had chargers overheat my phone. I have had chargers drain my phone, instead of charging them, and then work fine afterwards. It may or may have not been the chargers fault, but I would remain leery of it.

Phew, finally. An answer I was looking for.

He used both the stock HTC charger and one for the Shield Tablet. It hasn't got hot until now.

Maybe it's best we get a new charger along with a replacement M9. Seems like the charger might be the culprit since the M9 hasn't really overheated in daily use for most users.