New M9 owner - any hints and tips to save battery/improve performance?

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
As im new to this device i just wondered if people have any hints/tips to make the device run smoothly?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Is yours not running smoothly? You shouldn't have to do anything to keep this running smoothly except maybe reboot once in a long while.

Posted via my HTC One M9

mikeyboy80

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
No it's fine, but I've come from a galaxy and I felt I had to do several tweaks lol disable apps etc in order to make it run ok. But still I felt it wasn't running smoothly

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
No it's fine, but I've come from a galaxy and I felt I had to do several tweaks lol disable apps etc in order to make it run ok. But still I felt it wasn't running smoothly

This isn't a galaxy. The m9 does a fantastic job managing all of that on its own. 😌

Posted via my HTC One M9

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
It gets better with time after its fully settled...for battery life, just make sure you apply the fix for the Google play services running wild and eating away at your battery

Posted via my ViperM9

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Ultimately you can root your device... And flash a custom ROM.. I recommend Viper 3.5.0 and the leedroid kernel 6.0...+xposed+ greenify+amplify+powernap

Posted via my ViperM9

Attachments

• 45587.jpg
    45587.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 56

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Under very heavy usage... I get lots of screen on time over a couple of hours... Like today, I've been home all day, and am almost at 50%...n over 3 hours of screen on time already.

Posted via my ViperM9

Attachments

• 70074.jpg
    70074.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 53

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Dude don't do all of this stuff. Just enjoy your phone. I haven't done anything and get great battery life.

Posted via my HTC One M9

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Truth be told, there is always room for improvement...n am sure by now even you've noticed that Google messed up with lollipop. He doesn't need to do all these things, but the 1st guide is necessary, even for you. Google Play Services are super battery suckers.

Posted via my ViperM9

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Unless you use Chrome for Viewing content from multiple sources or your using Chrome for app, web development then try disabling "Android Webview" in Apps.. I disabled it and switched to Firefox and it cleared my battery drain issue up.

If you dont know what Webview does or you have to ask.,.. then your not using it all the time or developing within the chrome environment, it can be disabled. However, I do recommend you read up on what Webview does, because Google do include security fixes in the App itself, but if Play Store or Goggle Apps start behaving strangely, then youll understand whats happening.

Google Play Services as a whole take up about 40 - 50% of battery use.. so they are really heavy.. but I dont nderstand why google wont take the time and tidy them up

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Truth be told, there is always room for improvement...n am sure by now even you've noticed that Google messed up with lollipop. He doesn't need to do all these things, but the 1st guide is necessary, even for you. Google Play Services are super battery suckers.

Posted via my ViperM9

Is this how they track my step count in Google fit or how they know when I'm near Work to shoot me a reminder? I kind of use those things.

Posted via my HTC One M9

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Install AppOps from the playstore ...it will ask you to reboot the 1st time if all goes well... Then go into the app... Find Google play services, disable "keep awake" and "location"

Posted via my ViperM9

If I disable keep awake and locatiowill I still be able to use apps like google maps ,weather etc...?

Posted via the Android Central App

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Unless you use Chrome for Viewing content from multiple sources or your using Chrome for app, web development then try disabling "Android Webview" in Apps.. I disabled it and switched to Firefox and it cleared my battery drain issue up.

If you dont know what Webview does or you have to ask.,.. then your not using it all the time or developing within the chrome environment, it can be disabled. However, I do recommend you read up on what Webview does, because Google do include security fixes in the App itself, but if Play Store or Goggle Apps start behaving strangely, then youll understand whats happening.

Google Play Services as a whole take up about 40 - 50% of battery use.. so they are really heavy.. but I dont nderstand why google wont take the time and tidy them up

Nice point... Am going to look into that and see if it helps me save more battery life.

Posted via my ViperM9

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
If I disable keep awake and locatiowill I still be able to use apps like google maps ,weather etc...?

Yes you will...but just to make sure it doesn't affect your productivity... You could just disable "keep awake" and go into the location settings and switch to power saving.

Posted via my ViperM9

Lecrae116

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes you will...but just to make sure it doesn't affect your productivity... You could just disable "keep awake" and go into the location settings and switch to power saving.

Posted via my ViperM9

Would you recommend using the built in HTC power saver too?

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Not on the latest update...the older version that allowed us to fine tune what features it handled was the best... Then HTC took that away... N all we have now is one switch. The CPU management isn't good under powersaver mode so you can leave that alone.... You could also go to settings>more>data usage... Restrict background data on the apps you don't really use. This will prevent frequent syncing also cause less wakelocks

Posted via my ViperM9

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
Turning off vibrations helps save power(including input vibrations) ... As well as Auto sync(some apps will be affected by this, Gmail been one of them, but you'll still get notifications for apps like whatsapp).

Posted via my ViperM9

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc