Help with screen timeout not locking screen.

HankHill97

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
Okay so I've had my replacement Sprint HTC One M9 for about a few days now. Has the newest OS, and software updates. The problem I'm having is that my lock screen seems to be buggy.

I have my display timeout set to 45 seconds, but I don't have a security screen. Just the "swipe" option, meaning in theory everytime the screen shuts off, I should have to swipe it up to unlock the phone after pushing the power button. The problem is, that doesn't work when the screen shuts off by the 45 second timeout. If the screen times out, and I press the power button, the phone just goes to the home screen, with no swipe screen to keep the phone from accidentally getting unlocked. This has caused me to open y phone a few times while in my pocket.

But, when I have the phone on, and I manually shut off the screen with the power button, the lock screen with swipe seems to work when I turn the phone on again. But only if I manually shut the screen with the power button. I know my previous M9 didn't do that. That phone, the lock screen would have swipe regardless. Also, my HTC One M7 didn't have this problem.

So did HTC just shaft me and change the way they do lock screen? Because I really don't want to have to put a password lock, and set it to "power button automatically locks", and lock time "immediately" to make the phone lock both by screen timeout, and by power button just to keep the phone from accidentally getting unlocked. That's very negative Nancy.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Okay so I've had my replacement Sprint HTC One M9 for about a few days now. Has the newest OS, and software updates. The problem I'm having is that my lock screen seems to be buggy.

I have my display timeout set to 45 seconds, but I don't have a security screen. Just the "swipe" option, meaning in theory everytime the screen shuts off, I should have to swipe it up to unlock the phone after pushing the power button. The problem is, that doesn't work when the screen shuts off by the 45 second timeout. If the screen times out, and I press the power button, the phone just goes to the home screen, with no swipe screen to keep the phone from accidentally getting unlocked. This has caused me to open y phone a few times while in my pocket.

But, when I have the phone on, and I manually shut off the screen with the power button, the lock screen with swipe seems to work when I turn the phone on again. But only if I manually shut the screen with the power button. I know my previous M9 didn't do that. That phone, the lock screen would have swipe regardless. Also, my HTC One M7 didn't have this problem.

So did HTC just shaft me and change the way they do lock screen? Because I really don't want to have to put a password lock, and set it to "power button automatically locks", and lock time "immediately" to make the phone lock both by screen timeout, and by power button just to keep the phone from accidentally getting unlocked. That's very negative Nancy.

Welcome to Android Central!

Did you ever figure this out?

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say they shafted you but yes it is pretty much like Android is requiring a lock beginning with this new OS. Services like Google Wallet won't work without it.

As for your phone opening in your pocket, while I do use a lock screen, I've found that I can sometimes find my device waiting for the lock input if I'm hot and perspiring a little. I think this is due to the motion gestures I have set.

Being warm and humid doesn't explain the issue of being able to watch the screen timeout and touching the power button only to find it still unlocked. For that I have two possibilities. One, and I can't test this, but I also feel like it's the least likely so all you can do is look and see, but in your security settings there's a timer for how soon the lock screen will activate. Since I'm using the lock screen this setting is open for me but with you not using the lock screen I think it maybe greyed out. If not make sure it's set to effect immediately. Any time set there will cause a delay. Since I'm using the lock screen and have that setting open, even if I set the screen timeout to 10 sec my phone won't lock until that times out even if I press the power button, and I think the power button is the key here.

The use of the power button brings up my second more plausible theory. Something is keeping your phone awake. If you press the power button you are intentionally telling the device it's time to sleep. When you let the screen time out the phone is in limbo because of this other app that's running. The app thinks, "the screen's off but I can run screen on or off, IDC." So the key will be to find this app. That would be where I'd start. There are several different ways to try and see what's running or keeping the phone awake. Looking at the power screen, looking at the app manager in the setting, looking at permissions, there are even apps that will tell you what's keeping your phone from sleeping.

Know this tho. I wouldn't install an app killer because they just eat up battery and resources trying to stop apps that are only going to reopen a moment later. If you find something try its settings or some onboard method to solve this.

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae