Can I update to Marshmallow after a carrier switch on my M9?

japongt

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
Ok so just about every carrier sent out their Marshmallow update back in February. Every carrier except AT&T.

Question is, if I switch from AT&T to T-Mobile, would I be elegible to receive the android update from T-Mobile? My M9 is AT&T branded (with their logo on the back) so I figured, no, but wanted to make sure.

On a side note, can I transfer prepaid AT&T number to prepaid AT&T T-Mobile?

AT&T is beyond horrible and can't wait to get away from them.

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You have to be on the original carrier associated with the phone in order to get the official system update over the air. Otherwise, you could try using HTC Sync to update the firmware manually. Not sure about transferring the prepaid number to T-Mobile, sorry.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As for their being horrible, find your nearest Device Support Center (ask at your local store) and become friendly with the manager. (And remember - AT&T does use independent dealers to open AT&T stores - and not all of them are on your side. Company store managers usually are.) TMobile is good, but they just don't have the coverage (and their little "unlimited data" trick is just that, a trick - you connect at full speed, then shift down to a lower speed, so things like Youtube are iffy.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463