My HTC M9 was stolen on Friday night. In a panic on Saturday morning I changed my Google password. Then I learned about the remote wipe. I decided to do a remote wipe because my understanding was absolutely everything would be deleted, photos, music, videos etc. My worry now is because the phone wouldn't have had the new password will the remote wipe have worked?

Thanks,
    doney84
    05-22-2016 10:56 AM
    Good question!
    Hope your phone was locked with a "pin". And your "stuff" was backed up.

Had I stolen your phone, If I had the time, I would have tried to access it. Check out your pics, and music, maybe look at your messages to "see who you are".
    If it wasn't locked, I assume I would need to know your Google PW to change your account PW.
    Next I would turn it off and remove the SIM & memory cards and try to factory reset, First through the OS, If not asked for a PW, Then maybe through Recovery.
    If I am successful, I would try to sell it, hopefully before it gets blacklisted.

So try to remote wipe, couldn't hurt. Report it stolen, wherever you can.
    Does Swappa have a "report" button?
    Good luck. Buyer beware!
    05-22-2016 11:48 AM
    Probably should have added this to my previous comment...

The last 2 active/ intact cell phones I found, I was able to return them to their owners, after only searching for Home or Owner info. They were lucky, as I was not in need, and wanted to get them back quickly.
    I found a smashed one I was also able to return, and a couple dead battery flip phones and beepers I just dropped in mailboxes.

I have a box of smashed cell phones and other electronics and stuff found while walking the dogs. One of the dogs Seems to lead me to electronics, its fun!
    Keep you eyes open.

So how did it turn out for you?
    05-23-2016 05:50 PM