Jan 2017 Google Update Cripples Verizon HTC One M9 (stock)

joshandroid3

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I have a stock Verizon HTC One M9 and have been happy with it for the most part. It's got the latest update from HTC/Verizon (Android 6.0, HTC Sense 7.0; Software 3.37.605.19). At the end of Jan/beginning of Feb 2017 Google pushed an update to its services and Google Voice (which I use as my primary phone number). Since then things are BROKEN! I cannot dial out with the new google voice - I had to revert to the last stable version in order to use it (but it took several days to figure that out). See this thread on the google forums.

Also with this "update" to google play services etc comes horrible battery life. My phone can now lose 20% with the screen off in my pocket after about 1 hour, and won't make it through the day. GSAM Battery monitor says Google Play Services is the biggest user, but only from 6.9 to 20% or so. I tried to uninstall updates to Google Play Services, but then none of my google apps work and force the update (GMail, Maps, Play, etc).

On a past update a similar thing happened and wiping the cache fixed it that time... not so this time :eek:

I'm at a loss! I'm about to try a factory wipe and update from scratch, but I'm not sure that will fix it. Anyone else experiencing these issues? Any suggestions for a fix? It was working fine 2 wks ago, so I'd rather not get a new phone, this one's not even 2 yrs old yet!!!!

Thanks

joshandroid3

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
Interestingly after completing a Factory Reset and wiping all data, after completing the setup, Google Play Services kept stopping and giving me a warning that it had unexpectantly quit... It's in the middle of updating all the stock apps that need updated, but I find it intriguing that a factory reset still has issues built in!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish