HTC M9 Settings stopped issue

Ebizza

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi peeps. I installed a Substratum theme today, and after doing a soft reboot, it worked, but I couldn't open my phone's settings app. It kept saying" settings has stopped". I used an app to go to TWRP, and cleared cache. The phone took a while to reboot, and it's stock on the home menu.. still shows settings has stopped. My volume buttons are bad , hence I can't format anymore. Clearing my cache also disabled USB debugging... So,I'm basically left with a phone without USB debugging, and bad volume buttons...

Anyone got any knowledge to share?

Ebizza

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
See if this helps, need be careful as it will crash things and make you factory reset . Substraum is for experience user and not having buttons work is asking for trouble.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/themes/tutorial-fix-crashing-ui-substratum-t3566081

Seen, but it says go to recovery.. I have bad buttons remember? I can't go to recovery, or download mode or anywhere.. I'm stuck at my home screen.. So, if there's a way to use adb commands without USB debugging enabled, I think that's what I need.i don't mind doing a factory reset

Ebizza

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
There's no way to access recovery mode, as I'm stuck at home screen with USB debugging disabled... If there's a way to use adb commands without USB debugging enabled, I think that's what I need... I don't mind doing a factory reset

Attachments

• IMG_20200331_140637.jpg
    IMG_20200331_140637.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 4

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Seen, but it says go to recovery.. I have bad buttons remember? I can't go to recovery, or download mode or anywhere.. I'm stuck at my home screen.. So, if there's a way to use adb commands without USB debugging enabled, I think that's what I need.i don't mind doing a factory reset
Are your on screen buttons bad or physical buttons?
Might need a usb mouse and keyboard to navigate.

Ebizza

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
And I can view my device files on my computer. It doesn't show any other option if I plug in to a pc. Except the mass storage option

Ebizza

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
The power button works fine, but the volume buttons are severely damaged. There’s no way I can get it fixed because of the lockdown. So, using button combinations to go to recovery mode is not possible. I also don’t have USB debugging enabled

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The power button works fine, but the volume buttons are severely damaged. There’s no way I can get it fixed because of the lockdown. So, using button combinations to go to recovery mode is not possible. I also don’t have USB debugging enabled
I'm not sure how you going get around this .

Ebizza

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
Update: I fixed the volume buttons, and can use adb and can boot to recovery and all. I wiped cache, data and internal storage on TWRP. When I rebooted, still same issue

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Update: I fixed the volume buttons, and can use adb and can boot to recovery and all. I wiped cache, data and internal storage on TWRP. When I rebooted, still same issue
How about that link I sent earlier anything can help from there?

Ebizza

Apr 1, 2020
Visit site
Wouldn't have helped. Thanks anyways.

Update: I flashed a custom rom (AOSP 15.0 Android 10). So,it's working now. If I have any issue, I flash stock nougat. Thanks once more