I've got the HTC One Mini. You've got questions. Get your answers here!

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Look what arrived this morning....
mini-hero-rough.jpg

It's the HTC One Mini!

I've got the phone right in front of me, so here's the place to ask questions......

GO!

nickthorley

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I was wondering why they dont keep the same spec for the mini as they do in the larger htc one as in memory and cpu. I dont particularly want a large android phone (the iphone 4s size would be sufficient). However I dont want a phone thats slow or under powered and hence I want the cpu and memory of the one in the mini. Is this not required as the processor is mainly sized to drive the heavy graphics load that the larger screen inflicts and hence is not needed for the mini or is it purely because of the physical size of the case and hence smaller slower components have to go in there. Also is the smaller battery in the mini equivalent to the runtime of the larger battery in the one - ie smaller screen and processor dont need as big battery and hence the one mini can be made smaller?

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering why they dont keep the same spec for the mini as they do in the larger htc one as in memory and cpu. I dont particularly want a large android phone (the iphone 4s size would be sufficient). However I dont want a phone thats slow or under powered and hence I want the cpu and memory of the one in the mini. Is this not required as the processor is mainly sized to drive the heavy graphics load that the larger screen inflicts and hence is not needed for the mini or is it purely because of the physical size of the case and hence smaller slower components have to go in there. Also is the smaller battery in the mini equivalent to the runtime of the larger battery in the one - ie smaller screen and processor dont need as big battery and hence the one mini can be made smaller?
You'd have to ask HTC that. But I think it's because they're aiming for lower cost as well as smaller. And I wouldn't consider the Mini to be underpowered, really. The Snap 400 is a decent CPU, and most of the time it's just as fast as the HTC One.
How does the sound quality compare to the HTC One?
From the front speakers, it's *really* close. The One seems bassier (which makes sense -- larger phone = larger speakers = larger chambers), while the Mini is a little more trebbly -- though not necessarily tinny.
How does it feel in the hand compare to the HTC One? Easier to handle? too small?
It's easier to hold mainly due to the fact that it's narrower. The plastic trim around the edge is also easier on your hand, whereas the fullsize One has fairly sharp edges.

anon(765042)

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
How's the anti shake setting working compared to image stabilization on the One? I'm really thinking of recommending this to an iPhone contract expiring family member who's impressed with the One

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

gilroyneil

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
With 1GB Ram does it suffer from the lack of memory issues that the One X had (e.g. Web Pages had to reload a lot like old iPads etc)?

Thanks,

Neil

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
How's the anti shake setting working compared to image stabilization on the One? I'm really thinking of recommending this to an iPhone contract expiring family member who's impressed with the One

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
It's probably too early to tell. I've taken a few sample shots and they look decent. What I'd point out, though, is that most phone cameras -- even really good ones like the GS4's -- don't have OIS and they work just fine. And most of the time blurry photos are caused by the shutter staying open longer to compensate for a poor sensor. HTC's using the same sensor on as on the M7, and that's always had extremely quick shutter times.

With 1GB Ram does it suffer from the lack of memory issues that the One X had (e.g. Web Pages had to reload a lot like old iPads etc)?

Thanks,

Neil
No RAM issues so far. Nothing's unexpectedly been dumped out of memory, but that's one of the things I'll be watching out for. (Plus, remember both Android and Sense have come a long way since the One X days.)

Ziga Radsel

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Is there any considerable lag when previewing photos in Zoe, considering it's less powerful than One? In general is there a noticeable difference in performance in comparison to One? Also have you been using it enough to give us an estimate on battery life?

Thank you very much,
Ziga

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Is there any considerable lag when previewing photos in Zoe, considering it's less powerful than One? In general is there a noticeable difference in performance in comparison to One? Also have you been using it enough to give us an estimate on battery life?

Thank you very much,
Ziga
No noticeable delay when taking or viewing Zoes. The "loading" wait when creating video highlights is a slightly longer. We're only talking 2-3 seconds instead of 1-2 seconds though.

robstyle

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
How does the Snapdragon 400 CPU compare to the dual core Snapdragon S4 found in phones such as the HTC one?
I am especially interested in the graphics capabilities.
Could you probably post a screenshot of an Antutu Benchmark score? (I know these are synthetic but I still care)

Thank you ;)

rob

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
How does the Snapdragon 400 CPU compare to the dual core Snapdragon S4 found in phones such as the HTC one?
I am especially interested in the graphics capabilities.
Could you probably post a screenshot of an Antutu Benchmark score? (I know these are synthetic but I still care)

Thank you ;)

rob
I haven't run any synthetic benchmarks (and the One has a Snap 600, not S4). But regular performance is almost identical. The only place i saw it struggling was during initial setup, when it had to sync a bunch of new accounts, restore from backup and update a bunch of apps all at the same time.

Keeping in mind that it's a HTC First in an aluminium body I would assume it is very comparable in performance...
More or less. Remember this is a Sense phone, so there's more HTC-specific optimization going on under the hood.
How about the front cam on this one? Is it wide angle?
A quick unscientific test suggests it is not.

robstyle

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I haven't run any synthetic benchmarks (and the One has a Snap 600, not S4). But regular performance is almost identical. The only place i saw it struggling was during initial setup, when it had to sync a bunch of new accounts, restore from backup and update a bunch of apps all at the same time.
Sounds good, but I made a small mistake.
I meant the comparison to the HTC One S not the regular One :D

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Alex, I realize it's probably too early but it would be great to get - even if it's a gut-feel - your impression of the battery life relative to the full sized HTC One. I'd like to think the smaller battery is offset by the smaller screen and less powerful CPU, but you never know. Thanks!

EDIT: Oops, I see the battery life question has already been asked a few times - sorry.

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
So far I'm on 96% with 1 hour, 31 minutes on battery. That's indoors, on Wifi.

2013-07-23 13.06.20.png

And that probably doesn't tell you anything about real-world use :)

banvetor

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I know this is not the place for this question, but I just feel the urge to rant now.

Why does HTC think that 16Gb is enough for everyone? I mean, some people could prefer to pay $100-$200 one time for 64gb of mem, instead of $50-$100 everymonth to be able to stream their music and videos from the network... that is, WHEN you have network access... what happens when I'm on a plane?

I REALLY like the HTC One mini, but this 16Gb with no mSD stuff just makes it impossible for me to buy it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer