Hi,

I've had a Blackberry since before the invention of iphones but I have just bought myself a HTC One mini. I bought it off contract and don't yet have a sim card. I'm just playing around with it on wifi to see how I like it. Having never experienced Android before I'm a bit lost at the moment.

I have couple of questions if someone can help me out.

Firstly, I bought it in Australia but I live in the UK. Can I install an OS that doesn't keep referring to Australia and Telstra?

What is the best OS to have? It's currently got Jelly Bean 4.2

Whats the best way to learn Android? Can anyone point me to a good tutorials site?

Many thanks,

Mellfee
    11-07-2013 09:55 AM
    Hi,

I've had a Blackberry since before the invention of iphones but I have just bought myself a HTC One mini. I bought it off contract and don't yet have a sim card…. I'm just playing around with it on wifi to see how I like it. Having never experienced Android before I'm a bit lost at the moment.

I have couple of questions if someone can help me out.

Firstly, I bought it in Australia but I live in the UK. Can I install an OS that doesn't keep referring to Australia and Telstra?

What is the best OS to have? It's currently got Jelly Bean 4.2

Whats the best way to learn Android? Can anyone point me to a good tutorials site?

Many thanks,

Mellfee
    Welcome to the forums.
    Getting a device in one country to use in another makes things kinda tricky. To my knowledge, you can't just flash your country's region stock ROM and it will work. Best thing to do is either leave it be or flash a custom ROM. I would leave it alone since you are new.

The most current OS is 4.4, but so far only available on Nexus devices. As for your OS, you are more up to date than most other phones. I think the HTC Mini is going to get 4.3 soon.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...ps-tricks.html
    Dated, but still may be useful: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...e-android.html
    11-07-2013 10:03 AM
    Is your Avatar from The Evil Dead?
    11-07-2013 10:10 AM
    Yeah, Ash!
    Golfdriver97 and ffejjj like this.
    11-07-2013 11:08 AM
    Ok, here's another new to Android question…

I'm a little taken aback by the amount of google apps on my OS. Also, there seems to be constant update notices. Asides from the fact that my battery seems to run flat a bit too soon, I hadn't expected to be so tied in to the giant that is google.

My phones still relatively new. I don't even have my email account linked yet because my Blackberry is still functioning. …can I get rid of all the google stuff? I don't even want facebook or twitter at this point.

I'd like a separate email app to add my .mac account to. I already installed Opera and DuckDuckGo. I'd like to keep building my HTC up in that manner and not googles.

Thanks for any help!
    11-24-2013 10:13 AM
    Ok, here's another new to Android question

I'm a little taken aback by the amount of google apps on my OS. Also, there seems to be constant update notices. Asides from the fact that my battery seems to run flat a bit too soon, I hadn't expected to be so tied in to the giant that is google.

My phones still relatively new. I don't even have my email account linked yet because my Blackberry is still functioning. can I get rid of all the google stuff? I don't even want facebook or twitter at this point.

I'd like a separate email app to add my .mac account to. I already installed Opera and DuckDuckGo. I'd like to keep building my HTC up in that manner and not googles.

Thanks for any help!
    If those are the apps that come pre-installed, then unfortunately you can't uninstall them without root access. In the play store, go to settings and disable automatic app updating if you don't want that. For email, you should try "aquamail" or "maildroid". I've used both apps and they both work nice.

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk
    11-29-2013 10:23 AM