Unlocking and Rooting the HTC One - AT&T, Dev, Unlocked and International model

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Htc noob here as this is my first Htc device (switching from long line of Xperia phones) .. I wanted to know whether it is necessary to unlock the bootloader to root the device ..? root was available to locked boatloader in Xperia phones ..

I haven't checked if a root exploit has been made available without unlocking the bootloader. You'll have to check the forums over at XDA from the link provided above and see if it's available.

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Htc noob here as this is my first Htc device (switching from long line of Xperia phones) .. I wanted to know whether it is necessary to unlock the bootloader to root the device ..? root was available to locked boatloader in Xperia phones ..

The unlocked bootloader is required for root access.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

rhtzshahriar

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I haven't checked if a root exploit has been made available without unlocking the bootloader. You'll have to check the forums over at XDA from the link provided above and see if it's available.

The unlocked bootloader is required for root access.

Thanks a lot .. One more thing, is it safe to update through OTA after unlocking bootloader ..? Thanks in advance

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot .. One more thing, is it safe to update through OTA after unlocking bootloader ..? Thanks in advance

Once the bootloader is unlocked a couple of the stock apps are removed and an OTA won't be able to validate. Also you won't be able to install OTA if you flash a custom recovery (which is kind of the point of unlocking the bootloader). In my opinion, if you care about unlocking the bootloader and root access you shouldn't worry about OTAs because you'll be able to easily flash a pre-rooted ROM based on that OTA. Just my opinion.

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Once the bootloader is unlocked a couple of the stock apps are removed and an OTA won't be able to validate. Also you won't be able to install OTA if you flash a custom recovery (which is kind of the point of unlocking the bootloader). In my opinion, if you care about unlocking the bootloader and root access you shouldn't worry about OTAs because you'll be able to easily flash a pre-rooted ROM based on that OTA. Just my opinion.

A very good opinion I must add!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I can't wait to root my H1 Dev Edition this week and install a nice 4.2.2 ROM :) First time with an unlocked phone coming from 15 years of Verizon. Whole new world for me and not having to deal with a locked phone.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
No, it's not. But as you probably experienced with the locked Bootloader on Xperia devices, you'll be limited as to what can be modified on the device. If you are looking to use root only apps and nothing more, then no problem.

FrogFan

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion, if you care about unlocking the bootloader and root access you shouldn't worry about OTAs because you'll be able to easily flash a pre-rooted ROM based on that OTA. Just my opinion.

Noob question here. How do you keep up with new versions of pre-rooted ROMs based on OTA updates? I've pretty much decided to root my Sprint HTC One to run Roam Control, and I'm pretty sure I understand how to do it (it's slightly different from the procedures described here), but I don't know how to keep up with changes once I'm rooted and I'm really not interested in "bleeding edge" Custom ROMs, at least not right now.

Thanks for any help!

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Noob question here. How do you keep up with new versions of pre-rooted ROMs based on OTA updates? I've pretty much decided to root my Sprint HTC One to run Roam Control, and I'm pretty sure I understand how to do it (it's slightly different from the procedures described here), but I don't know how to keep up with changes once I'm rooted and I'm really not interested in "bleeding edge" Custom ROMs, at least not right now.

Thanks for any help!

Flash a newer Rom!

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Where do I find newer ROMs based on OTA updates? Sorry to be so dense, but I'm a noob and I can't seem to find this information.

Check xda sprint development thread. All of those are based off of the OTA.

[ROM]42ONE - The Aftermath || themes and mods || always something new - xda-developers

As stated here, just flash the new ROM. Devs would usually put out the OTA pre-rooted very quickly. In a lot of cases, before the carrier pushes the OTA. So getting the newer version is no problem. Also as above, just head over to the development section for your device and you'll see the threads for the ROMs you need.

stesyl

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I got my device unlocked fine. When i tried to flash recovery, it goes to "entering recovery" but just reboots. When i go back to try again it says up top Tampered and unlocked, but when i click on recovery it starts but reboots again. Anybody have any suggestions

Thanks

Sprint HTC One
Recovery: ]TWRP v2.6.0.1

Last edited:

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I got my device unlocked fine. When i tried to flash recovery, it goes to "entering recovery" but just reboots. When i go back to try again it says up top Tampered and unlocked, but when i click on recovery it starts but reboots again. Anybody have any suggestions

Thanks

Sprint HTC One
Recovery: ]TWRP v2.6.0.1

Check here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...wont-boot-into-twrp-recovery.html#post2985022

I had the issue initially but then was able to successfully fastboot the recovery on the second try.

TL;DR - don't do any wipes (some guides say to do some cache wipe with it; cache is usually a separate partition) and make sure the "fast boot" option in the power options/menu is disabled. That worked for me.

Last edited:

AnneDroyd

May 24, 2013
Visit site
did I like to look at that lock screen widget? No, I thougt it was ugly. did I like using the sense keyboard? No the buttons were too small and the swipe feature was not very accurate. Did I ever use blinkfeed? No not once. Do I like the fact I always have power saver in the notification bar? I do not? did I ever use Zoes or highlights from the camera? No. The only thing I did use from the camera was slow motion video that was pretty cool but even then I didn't use it all that often. do I use the stock mail client some sense? No I prefer Gmail. Do I use the stock HTC browser? no. Even though the stock browser is really really good its so ugly and I hate that menu bar that keeps popping up on the bottom of the screen.and last I cannot get over how ugly the phone app actually is in my opinion.

so why did I get the HTC One then? because of its amazing build quality, boom sound speakers, the 1080 p screen, and the fact it has an IR blaster.

so yeah long story short I don't you hardly any of the features from sense 5 so I'm running stock Android 4.3 and yes it does have IR blaster support.

downhillrider

May 17, 2013
Visit site
so Im in a house full of macs and since Im on att I might as well try and get the updates myself. Is there any hope? I asked in the xda thread, just waiting a response.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
did I like to look at that lock screen widget? No, I thougt it was ugly. did I like using the sense keyboard? No the buttons were too small and the swipe feature was not very accurate. Did I ever use blinkfeed? No not once. Do I like the fact I always have power saver in the notification bar? I do not? did I ever use Zoes or highlights from the camera? No. The only thing I did use from the camera was slow motion video that was pretty cool but even then I didn't use it all that often. do I use the stock mail client some sense? No I prefer Gmail. Do I use the stock HTC browser? no. Even though the stock browser is really really good its so ugly and I hate that menu bar that keeps popping up on the bottom of the screen.and last I cannot get over how ugly the phone app actually is in my opinion.

so why did I get the HTC One then? because of its amazing build quality, boom sound speakers, the 1080 p screen, and the fact it has an IR blaster.

so yeah long story short I don't you hardly any of the features from sense 5 so I'm running stock Android 4.3 and yes it does have IR blaster support.

How do you access the IR?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2